Gopala

• Vegetarian
Contact 012-3513713

59, Jalan Thambipillai, Brickfields (at near KL Sentral, behind Jalan Tun Sambanthan), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 50470

Krishna Indian vegetarian food and Chinese dishes. No garlic or onion used. Breakfast, lunch & dinner menus are different. The quantity served at standard menu price could also vary depending on how many people are at table. Note: For vegans, ask for an English speaking waiter and seek confirmation before the order is placed.

Category: Lacto, Chinese, Indian

First Review by vegehew

Fabulous Variety of food. - Edit

We had a long day and needed a meal, this was a short walk from our Le Meridian hotel. The variety was great and so was the meal. A very pleasant english speaking guy serve us our food and there was no problem in asking for less spicy food, they asked!

The satay was really nice and so was the mee mammak? Intending to return for a 2nd visit tomorrow.

Pros: Inexpensive, Near to hotel

Excellent variety - Edit

I've dined here a few times and I've not been disappointed. Great choice of Indian/Chinese/Malay/Western dishes, although as some reviewers have already mentioned they do have a tendency to push you to order the specials. Last time I had the mock fried fish sambal with rice. Great flavour and very spicy, which was pleasing as some veggie places don't add enough chilli heat for my liking. The thali plates are also good but not filling enough for me.
There's an air conditioned room if you want to cool down but the ceiling fans in the main area make it cool enough for most.

Pros: Good selection of dishes, Clean and comfortable, Reasonably priced

Cons: Over-emphasis on the daily specials

Hole in the wall with good tali plate - Edit

Hole in the wall off a side street off Jln Tun Sambanthan 4 (close to the JLn Tun Sambanthan monorail and KL sentral). Has standard tali plate with increasing options for more curries. Inexpensive, tasty, a bit spicy. Have eaten there twice without getting sick.

Pros: good food, inexpensive

Cons: environment

awesome vegetarian foods - Edit

gopala's always been my favourite vegetarian restaurant everytime i pay a visit to nearby temples.variety of foods plus the hospitalitity from the waiters make me to dine again and again.best foods i've tried so far would be nasi lemak, mushroom fried rice, kashmir rice and kampung fried rice.even the environment is quite nice plus reasonable price.it's basically a hare rama hare krishna's restaurant, so needs no worries on purification of the foods.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

About Gopala - Edit

Although it is open for breakfast and lunch, offerings are limited. Opting for dinner solves this problem. Ask for a waiter who can speak English and stress that orders placed by different individuals at table should be served (more or less) simultaneously. It's not much fun watching (and listening) to another person at table finish his meal before you have even been served. If you want traditinal South Indian fare, seek clarification before placing your order

Pros: dinner menu is good

Cons: Orders placed arrive at different times, Waiters who can't speak English

Fun, convenient, tasty - Edit

I enjoyed the heck out of this place, while it's true that there may be better South Indian food to seek out in KL, this place is fun and has a nice atmosphere... it's open late (till 1 a.m.) and has a very spiritual vibe going on, lots of families, religious people and activities happening late into the eve - at least the times I was there.

Can't say too much about the food as I only had a few dosas which were average or above-average, but I'd still definitely recommend giving the place try.

Pros: nice atmosphere, open late, nice food

Cons: not the best Indian in KL

Good vegetarian food indian cum malay fusion - Edit

This restaurant serves malay fusion food and mock meat dishes. This is the place for diners who wish to try malay fusion dishes. Relatively clean restaurant serves food without onion and garlic.

Pros: healthy cousine, clean , tasty food

Cons: Dodgy place

Disappointed by this Indian restuarant - Edit

I was really disappointed by this Indian vege restuarant - you can find plenty of better, tastier Indian vege food elsewhere in KL. The service was frustrating and the staff obessed with 'upselling' everything - from the air-cond room to the daily 'specials'. The waiter wouldn't even listen to what we wanted to order. I found the food a little average - tasty enough but no better than other Indian restuarants I found elsewhere. I find it hard to recommend this place.

Pros: Air con

Cons: Pushy staff, Average food

Excellent - Edit

This is a really great little restaurant in the backstreets of Brickfields about one minute from the monorail station.
The restaurant is divided into two sections, aircon and non aircon and both are atmospheric. Lovely music from ISKON is played while dining and staff are friendly, unobtrusive and efficient.
We ordered thali sets in the aircon section and both the quantity and quality were top notch. The food is authentic and karma free and was absolutely delicious, washed down with lassi. The total price of such a meal was very reasonable and good value indeed and now that I have found such a fabulous little Indian eatery, I'll be back there whenever I am passing through KL Sentral. Highly recommended.

Pros: The food, the comfortable aircon section, Decent staff

Cons: None that I saw

Yummy "Satay" - Edit

You must try their "Satay"..really delicious and also their hot spicy "mee goreng". In fact we were a bit disappointed cos we cant find any Indian mee rojak around that area. Hope they will offer that one day.

Pros: friendly staff, reasonal price, clean

Cons: No Indian mee Rojak

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gopala closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5831 times since Aug 2007.