Good Natured Cafe

• Vegetarian
Contact 304-262-9978

209 S Raleigh St, Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA, 25401

General store and vegetarian cafe. Serves local and organic food including soups, sandwiches, veggie burgers, quiche, organic baked goods, breakfast all day, and kid's menu. Cafe service is limited on Sunday to soups, salads, vegetable tarts, desserts, and beverages.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out

First Review by batgrrlnyc

Outstanding - Edit

Found this place on HC and were thrilled with the quality and presentation of the food, the impeccable service and the number of gluten free and vegan options. Great salads, soups, main dishes and desserts were all out of the ordinary. Cheeses are made with non-animal rennet. There are also soy free options. Loved the tomato basil soup, the salad with vegan ranch dressing, the noodle bowl made with gluten free noodles and the vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookie. Big portions, small prices. Go for dinner. Health food store in the front of the building has a very extensive inventory including organic produce.

Pros: Attentive service, Complex flavors, Beautiful presentation

Cons: Were out of some dessert and entre sele

Oasis for vegans who land in Martinsburg - Edit

This restaurant satisfies many appetites with delicious entrees and good cooking. True vegan dishes with great taste. A West Virginia dining treasure hidden on Raleigh Street. Small organic market attached.

Pros: Creative vegan menu, Wonderfully fresh veggies, Suits a variety of food preferences

Decent - Edit

I've been looking forward to visiting Good Natured for about a year, and I finally got my chance today. I was hoping to have the veg crabby patties because I LOVE vegan seafood, but they were out. Here's what we got:

1. The side salads were beautiful-- the best I've ever eaten from a place that doesn't specialize in salad. I got the creamy garlic dressing, which basically tasted like mayo.

2. My husband got the power burger (mealy like a typical bean burger) and I got the nut burger. The nut burger was awesome, but I'd pass on the bean one. They're a bit dry, though, so I used my salad dressing on them.

3. We got the chocolate chip cookie and the espresso brownie for dessert. Neither was great, and the brownie was more like hot pudding. I couldn't finish it.

I want to visit again, but only for the noodle bowl and crabby patties. I hope they're great!

Pros: Friendly service, Customizable meals, Fresh ingredients

Cons: Slow service

mmmmmm. closest veg restaurant to my house. - Edit

this is the closest veg restaurant to my house, which is like 30 mins away. its way better than driving the 90mins out to DC and the food is usually better than alot of the veg restaurants in DC. the "crab" cakes are super delicious. the falafel are tasty and the burgers are huge and taste great, but are a typical bean burger and get kinda mushy and squish apart while you eat them.(be sure to ask, there are 2 or 3 burger patties and all of them arent always vegan, but at least 1 usually is). their salads are so good and their creamy garlic dressing - OMG SO DELICIOUS. i just want to drink it. ;) sometimes i think about ordering on the phone before i get here tho, because sometimes it can take a while to get food, but you can always entertain yourself grocery shopping in the market or just bring a friend and talk while you wait ;). also, they usually have a few vegan desserts and they have always been super rich and decadent. this place is so good.

Pros: a lot of options, you can grocery shop too!, cute place w/ local art on the walls

Cons: takes a long time to get food

Good Natured is good... - Edit

Good Natured is a small cafe, one of the few veg-friendly places in town. It's a cozy shop and has a few tables to sit down and be served food, unlike so many other "restaurants" where you order at the counter and pick up your food yourself.

The menu contains a few vegan selections and some vegetarian selections. There are salads, sandwiches, entrees, and desserts. I believe it is all vegetarian and most can be made vegan. They also offer some gluten-free selections.

I have tried a few different things and they taste okay, but I am a decent cook and feel I can make most of the foods better myself because I know what I like best.

I am not dogging Good Natured, but I only go there once in awhile when friends plan on going. I definitely recommend checking it out as the food is good, the environment is cozy, and the store is great for finding some hard-to-find ingredients.

Updated from previous review on Sunday March 30, 2014

Updated from previous review on Sunday March 30, 2014

Pros: Comfy full-service restaurant, All vegetarian, some vegan / some GF

Cons: Food is good, but not impressive, Not a huge menu

Excellent Food - Edit

We were driving down Highway 81 at lunch time, ate at this café. Food was delicious, including a very large salad with fresh greens, and split pea soup with crackers. Plan to visit again on next trip!
PS you have to go to their kitchen to let them know you are there! But service was good.

Love this place! - Edit

I have only eaten here once, but I was super impressed with the food, the service, and the general feel of the place. The atmosphere is very casual and intimate, you almost get the sense that you're in someone's home (the fact that it's located inside an old Victorian house gives it huge bonus points.) The food was absolutely delicious- fresh and simple, but ridiculously enjoyable. Particularly awesome was the raw, vegan blueberry cheesecake (picture to follow) which, if I'm not mistaken, was prepared by a local resident. The prices were great as well, very affordable and reasonable given the fact that such high-quality ingredients are used. There is even a little store attached, so you can stock up on all sorts of veg-friendly products while you're there, all at great prices. I definitely need to frequent this place more often!

Pros: amazing food, store with awesome veg products, great atmosphere

Very Nice Suprise - Edit

Wasn't expecting to find a great Veg Restaurant on our camping trip to Harper's Ferry but noticed a listing for Good Natured in Happy Cow. What a great surprise. It was just wonderful. I had a cup of the Lentil Stew which was tasty and filling along with the best Vegan Reuben sandwich ever! Marie had the Falafel wrap that was reported as the best falafel ever. We topped it off with carrot cake and chocolate moose cake for desert. sinful!! The coffee was fair trade and also superb. relaxing atmosphere and I think they must have upgraded the parking because we had no problems with the pickup truck, there is also on street parking

Pros: quality food, good selection, reasonable prices

Cons: none

Oh my goodness! - Edit

this place is truly wonderful! I go here to buy everything i need for vegan baking, or just baking in general. they hav a wonderful selection of spices! they also have an amazing cafe in the back where they play live music some nights. anytime I go I always have to give myself a while, I just love looking at everything they have.

Pros: family owned, intelligent staff, amazing selection

Cons: strange location

Fantastic Little Out of the Way Cafe - Edit

I stopped here over the weekend while traveling.
Was not hard to find and is a old house with rustic charm.
The dining room is small and cozy like being at home.
The specials are posted when you first enter. I ordered a millet burger. The burger was delicious and made to order.
It came on a toasted homemade whole grain bread.
Served with this was a beautiful green salad with sprouts and blueberries.All this for $7 about the same price you would pay for garbage fast food but much healthier.
The food here is organic and freshly prepared.
Owner is very friendly.
Store has basic items like soaps and elixirs.
If you are driving a RV like I was there is no parking for large vehicles close. There is a appliance store across the street you can park there. The parking is limited and would not recommend trying to take a large RV there.

Pros: Fantastic Food, Good prices on elixirs, Take Out available

Cons: Limited Parking

Healthy haven in Martinsburg - Edit

I live in NYC, where there are always vegetarian options, healthy and otherwise, readily available. When I visit Martinsburg, I find the restaurant choices more limited than what I'm used to, and had pretty much given up on finding anything healthy. When Good Natured opened their cafe, I was ecstatic. There is an outstanding, diverse menu, made right in the kitchen in the back. The owner is very nice and accommodating. While waiting for your order, shop around the store, which specializes in organic, fair trade, healthy, sustainable items, anything from candy to gardening supplies to shoes. They also offer an impressive music section. The food is worth the wait; everything I've tried is delicious, attractively presented, and makes me feel like I'm finally eating something healthy! I'm looking forward to my next visit so I can go back.

Return to Martinsburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Good Natured Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2728 times since Sep 2009.