Good Karma Artisan Ales & Cafe

408-294-2694

37 S 1st St, San Jose, California, USA, 95113

Vegan establishment serving artisan ales and stouts and a variety of food items such as salads, Thai curry, dal or burritos. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian, Fusion

First Review by cyndiesel

Good Karma, Good Eats... - Edit

Really enjoyed my meal here. The jackfruit tacos were excellent, with the right amount of sweet and spicy. Plus, the arugula and beet salad was spot on.

GF/SF foods are marked on the menus. If you have to avoid nuts, let them know and the staff can guide you.

The space itself is more bar than restaurant, with a bar to sit at and then maybe 20 other seats available, split between counters and tables. There's also an outdoor seating area in the front, but it was raining, so I stayed inside.

Despite the cramped quarters (or maybe because of it), the place has an intimate feel and lots of happy folks drinking and eating. I'll certainly come back the next time I'm in San Jose.

Pros: Great vegan food, Extensive list of beverages, Happy staff

Cons: Small space, with potentially cramped seating

Good Food - Edit

I love the food, especially the Buddha Buns. They also have a great beer and snacks. The only downside is service isn't very friendly, but they are all always busy which could be why. I love this place though and recommend it.

Pros: great food, great beer, vegan

Cons: not friendly

Best Food so far in Bay Area - Edit

Happened upon this little gem of a restaurant yesterday. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Definitely order the spicy chocolate pie, you won't be disappointed. My husband loved their beer since it wasn't over the top hoppy. The restaurant has a great vibe, it's small and friendly feeling. The staff are terrific. Yay for somewhere that has more than just a veggie burger on their menu.

Pros: Quality of food, Spicy chocolate pie, Ambience and staff

favorite vegan in san jose - Edit

dining at my fave vegan spot in san jose. it's basically a really cool beer pub that only serves killer vegan food. jamaican jerk tofu -yum! street tacos! as usual, I ordered numerous items -like six. and the beer and kombucha selection is unique artisan style only from around the world. i.e., yummy beers. staff is friendly and laid back. patrons have hippie kinda vibe. I dig it. yeah, best vegan spot in silicon valley. seriously, carnivorous humans will dig this spot too. we're love, y'all. we're love.highly recommended

Stick with the plates, super knowledgeable staff! - Edit

I love this place. Super knowledgeable bartenders with a great selection of vegan beer and tasty, hearty food. I do prefer the plate options to the a la carte options--the buddha bun in particular can get pretty soggy. The plate options, on the other hand, you can't really go wrong with. Also conveniently located across from a nice vegan tattoo place.

Pros: great food, knowledgeable staff, great atmosphere

Vegan Quesadillas! - Edit

Conveniently located across from the (north bound) Santa Clara light rail stop is a little vegan bar called Good Karma! They have a new list of beers every week as well as a selection of non-alcoholic drinks, including kombucha. Good Karma has a good menu of vegan dishes-- I highly recommend their Quesadillas, they are amazingly delicious!

Pros: Friendly staff and quick service, Variety of food and drink options

Delicious food, beautiful cafe! - Edit

This place has beautiful antique detailing in a lushly decorated interior. I had the kale bowl with quinoa, black beans, and tahini sauce. Delicious! And inexpensive at $6-something.

Pros: vegan and delicious , cheap, beautiful

Cons: no ice

Reasonable price lacking in atmosphere - Edit

it seems that it is more of a beer house and that the food has become secondary. Grab a menu then grab a seat when ready order at counter. Due to previous reviews about small portions I ordered a 3 plate with quinoa for about $10, way too much food and I felt it was not too expensice. The Chana Masala was ok, the roasted red mashed potatoes and the dal were excellent as well as the cinnamon baklava. My husband who is not vegan enjoyed his thai curry and baklava as well along with a pumpkin porter. if you don't mind lots of noise the food is good and plentiful for the price.

Pros: Vegan food reasonable prices

Cons: loud and lots of beer drinkers when yhe Sharks are

Good beer! food is ok. - Edit

Now, when I go here I love the area. It's relaxing but, the beer servings and taste are beautiful! The food however, is ok just wish the portions were a bit bigger for the price.

Pros: BEER

Cons: Food portion sizes for price

Great place! - Edit

Finally, I can enjoy my vegan meal with a nice cold draft beer There are only few vegan places that have so many options on draft. I liked the food too, but I would definitely return for the beer :).

Pros: Many options of beer on draft, Cozy atmosphere

Cons: Small portions, Bathroom door "in" the kitchen

Solid food, shady customer service - Edit

I showed up at 11AM after calling this joint, and had to wait an hour before I could be served. I was stoked nonetheless, as there were Sleep and Om prints on the wall, and a pretty rad lady that owns or manages it.

I was then served by another woman whom made us get up from our seats, then line up in a single file line based on the order in which we arrived. No menus were given out until I asked, no silverware was set down, she didn't get me a drink, and the whole situation was rushed for no reason. I felt like we were being ushered by a grade school lunch aid, rather than being treated like a paying customer.

The food was delicious, but in small quantities. The jerk tofu was excellent, and the chocolate mousse cake was rich and full of flavor.

I'm usually the most easy going customer there is, and I drove all the way out to San Jose to give this place a try. If you don't mind being treated like a dog, paying $17 for a kid sized plate of food, this place isn't bad. However, I would avoid this place purely on the customer service.

Pros: originality of the food, quality of the food

Cons: size of servings , the "waitress" that doesn't wait on you, not opening on time

Disappointed on our Veganversarry - Edit

Sorry for the one star but when two vegans show up to your vegan cafe to celebrate their three year veganniversary its best not to tell us that a cow can't even be explained it's rights or that you feel fine about eating eggs. We came here to escape this way of thinking for a meal and assumed a vegan cafe would be a safe bet.

Rad vegan spot!!! - Edit

Traveling & eating vegan= "good karma" restaurant! A must stop when in San Jose!!! Jamaican jerk tofu, spicy basil tofu, chili verde ( saitan) , organic kale salad, arugula beet salad... Fantastic... All vegan menu with cool craft beers!!! I ate here 3 days in a row:)))

Pros: location, tons of items on menu

Cons: none

Love their steamed bun and mashed potatoes! - Edit

I've been to Good Karma only a handful of times. It is a very "trendy, hipster" kind of place. Lots of craft beers, which is good. The food is simple, you pick a plate with how many options you want, 1, 2 or 3. You can get a kale bowl or burrito. Super easy. They have a few things (like 6 or 8) you can choose from for your plate. Their mashed potatoes and gravy are amazing!!!

Pros: vegan, trendy vibe, good beers

Cons: small!

Food is OK, atmosphere so-so - Edit

First of all, they have a good choice of food and also beers and and our dishes were tasty. Staff was also very nice, but...Personally, I did not like the atmosphere. It is exactly what most people expect a vegan restaurant to be like: Casual atmosphere, alternative interior decoration, hippies everywhere. We felt a little out of place, but I guess a lot of people like it as there were quite a few guests there in the middle of the day.

Pros: Parking nearby, Good food, good choice of dishes

Cons: Weird atmosphere

Great food and atmosphere! - Edit

I went to Good Karma for lunch while attending a workshop in downtown San Jose. I went based on previous reviews on the deli as well as the fact that it was the closest vegan place to the workshop. I was just bowled over by the food and the atmosphere. I had the kale salad as well as the thai curry and the spicy basil combination. I also had the Brew Dr. Kambucha which was definitely a bonus. The price was great, the service quick and the food excellent. If you're in downtown San Jose - this is a place you should NOT miss!

Pros: Excellent food, Quick service, Good price

Cons: Noisy because we sat outside

great food; great beer - Edit

The food here is amazing, and lots of choices. The beer selection is choice. Very cool atmosphere. Go!

Beer - Edit

Not much selection from the near buffet style food but it can be fixed any way you like it. You also get a healthy portion for your buck. Desserts at the counter are too tempting to resist when your paying your tab. The decor is amazing...I notice something new every time I'm there. The best part is the bar, although in an awkward "alley like" spot. They have a great selection of beers on tap to keep you busy for the evening.

Pros: simple menu, affordable, brewski

Cons: simple hard to see menu, small space, awkward set up

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Good Karma Artisan Ales & Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.