Good Food Emporium

Contact 902-422-3150

2186 Windsor St (at Neighbourhoods North End, West End), Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5B8

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers lots of choices for vegans including tofu sandwiches and baked goods. Open Mon-Tue 7:00am-6:00pm, Wed-Fri 7:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-2:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by QuothTheRaven

Pass the salt, please! - Edit

I recently went to TGFE for a second try for lunch with my sister (the Wild Leek was packed... wrong move. I should have waited.)

I ordered the veggie patty (on a lettuce bun) with their soup of the day (which was ratatouille inspired). Sounds good, doesnt it!?

The patty was nothing like I've every had before.. it was massive, dense, flavourless, and full of every seed and legume on the planet. It also didnt come with any toppings or condiments (besides a bottle of ketchup). My brother is a fan of this menu item- I, however am not. To each their own!

The soup was good but very oily and lacking salt. I think maybe they missed the mark that day on the soup.. Might try it again another time.

I commend them for shopping and supporting other local business but I don't know if I'll ever venture back considering my first visit was also not excellent.

Also, the way its run is a little bizarre so maybe ask to make sure you're going about dinning the correct way.. you also have to go get your water and when they bring you coffee you have to take your mug and go dress it up at the front.. huh

This is a popular resto around Halifax so it could just be my taste buds haha

Happy Eating! xx

Pros: Local resto, Local ingredients

Cons: Small menu, Lacking flavour, Weird set up

The Not So Good Food Emporium - Edit

From the second I walked in, I felt uneasy. Being someone who had never been to the place before I wasn't exactly sure how things were run. My husband noticed a sign that said you ordered at the cash. The menu is fairly scarce (even for omnivores). It's more of a lite fair which I wasn't aware of, basically sandwiches, soups and some baked goods. Which is great for lunch hour but a little weird at supper time. They do have a couple things marked on the menu as "vegan" but it's a little sketchy, best to ask. My husband and I both ordered the tofu sandwich (we both had in mind it was going to be a grilled tofu sandwich, we were wrong). After paying we sat down, when the girl came over a few minutes later and informed us they only had enough tofu for one sandwich so they can either do half hummus or avocado and tofu on both sandwiches or one tofu and one of the other. I am not fond of hummus and avocado only in small doses. My husband said he would have hummus then. The sandwiches arrived and my husbands was just a thick slab of hummus with a piece of lettuce. Mine being the tofu was more of a tofu salad and I was not fond of the spices. Very Mexican oriented and that's not my thing. This is definitely not a place I recommend and I won't be returning. The plus side is, I do really like the decor in the restaurant.

Pros: Some vegan options, Nice decor

Cons: Not good , Poor service

Return to Halifax Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Good Food Emporium closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.