First Review by

awesome vegan food in the middle of the keys! - Edit

This small shop on Big Pine Key is just perfect for vegans on vacation in the keys. They have an excellent selection of groceries and vegan staples. Also their food and smoothies are delicious!

packed full - Edit

As we were staying on Big Pine Key, we stopped in to get sandwiches for dinner along with some snacks. There are vegan options on the deli menu including vegan cheese and seitan. I looked around as our order was being made and the store is packed full of nearly everything you could need, including some fresh produce as well. The atmosphere was old school health food store. Unfortunately, there was also meat, dairy, and eggs for sale in the store and deli. Otherwise, a good little place to shop.

Pros: local health food store, vegan options at deli

Cons: not all vegan

Thank Goodness for Good Food Conspiracy! - Edit

I am local, and live on the island. The Good Food Conspiracy is a great combination of knowledgeable staff, good food, and caring people. If they don't have "it" they will have something you can substitute for your need. If you want your "it" no matter, they will order "it" for you. The juice bar offers toasted wraps, fresh "scratch" made soups daily, and a variety of conventional, vegetarian and vegan baked goods, many from scratch as well. There's a small lunch counter inside, and a pretty garden out back. You can eat in or "take away." You can also order ahead for pick up. Good quality supplements, fresh produce, groceries, a juice bar and scratch baked goods too. This place fills a huge void in the lower Keys for better food choices, and I cannot say enough about the kind staff which is exceptionally knowledgeable. Owner, Marney Brown, is a wealth of information, and also has a wellness centered healing practice on site as well. I love this place, and am in the store typically once a day. Thank you to the Good Food Conspiracy, 30 years and still caring for us!

Pros: Nutritious food options, Organics available, Vegan available

Cons: None in my eyes!

Great Food And More! - Edit

Like a rare coral, Good Food Conspiracy shines. The soups and stews are always a sell out, so get there early. And choose to eat at the counter, where the servings are a tad bigger that take-out and you can feel like a local. The veggie burger is steller and leave room for a Freeze.

Overall, the grocery store is good in a pinch, seeing how health food stores are far and few between. It's nice to get bulk beans, grains, sweeteners, flour, nutritional yeast and other vegetarian staples. Just a note, when buying pre-packaged goods, be aware of those expiration dates. Everything else is pretty awesome.

Pros: Great Soups, Friendly Staff, Bulk grains available

Cons: Smallish soups to go, Slightly pricey, Some expired merch (+6 mos.)

A little piece of health food paradise - Edit

We found place this by accident as we were driving down the keys. When we walked in, we immediately felt like we found civilization amongst a junk food tropical nation. I immediately felt at home. We were not expecting very much of a selection given the location and lack of healthy choices on the keys but our expectations were exceeded. Especially because they are also a small cafe with food, smoothies and fresh vegetable juices. The food is vegetarian with several great vegan options. They carry vegan cheese so you can substitute dairy cheese for the vegan cheese. I got a toasted tofu and avocado melt spelt wrap with vegan cheddar. It was beautifully prepared and delicious. A very good sized portion as well. My husband got the veggie chili to which he gave two thumbs up. They have some vegan sweets - cookies and cupcakes - but no pie or cake selection, which, if you're like most vegans, would've been the frosting on the, well you know. Behind the store is a large, beautiful and quaint garden cafe where you can sit and eat or just hang out and have tea or read or just relax and veg. The grocery selections were excellent along with a large section of vitamins, loose medicinal herbs and teas. What I also really loved about it is the community feeling they encourage by selling local wares and locally grown organic produce. The people that work there are extremely friendly and welcoming. What's not to love?? We absolutely loved this place and will be back many times before our vacation is over. The only negative is that I found the prices a bit too high but when you have virtually no competition, that's what happens.

Pros: Great grocery selection, Beautiful cafe, vegan food options

Cons: Price

Great Little Find! - Edit

Great place to stop on way down or up from Key West. Very warm atmosphere. Felt like I was sitting in a friends' kitchen, everyone so nice, like family, not much space to eat inside, one table and some counter space, but lots of outside seating. Food was great, good vegan selections and smoothies are great. Store has lots of vegan stuff too. Have to look on road to find it. Look for the station wagon with the big shrimp sitting on top in the parking lot! Definitely worth stopping in, if only to show support for such a great little ma/pa place!

Pros: lots of vegan stuff, warm atmosphere, home made soups

Cons: not fancy, no gourmet food here

Return to Key West Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Good Food Conspiracy closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1805 times since Aug 2007.