CLOSED: Good Eatz Green Cafe

Contact 610-670-4885

2934 5th St Hwy, Reading, Pennsylvania, USA, 19611

Serves meat, vegan options available. Diverse menu with special diet and veg choices. Onsite bakery using organic evaporated cane juice as sweetener. All gluten-free and a few dairy-free baked goods. 2014 relocated from VF Outlet Center in West Reading. March 2015 reported shut, confirmed by its FB.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by greenbluegray

not going again - Edit

I liked this place when I was first introduced a while ago. Wait staff has gone down hill and the final straw occurred when they messed up my order and served me flesh in a takeout order. I am happy there is another vegan option in reading now that can be trusted

Cons: flesh place

TERRIBLE!!!!!!! - Edit

This place was a complete disappointment. I went with my wife a four kids. We started with a rude waitress suggesting that we would have to split up to different tables. Luckily, some other patrons overheard and sped up finishing their meal to offer us their table. We ordered our food and well...to was terrible. We waited a long time to get bad food. My dish came out cold, my wife's has what we truly believe was cardboard not a flat bread or wrap or whatever they were calling it. It was so hard we were going to ask for a chain saw, Samurai sword or something to cut it. One of my children ordered the sliders and the meat was tough enough to be used as a hockey puck. Two children ordered chocolate chip pancakes...how can you go wrong? Well if they had actually cooked them all the way, they may have been good. But, they were not cooked and were gooey in the middle. My last child ordered the banana french toast. It came smothered in a disgusting strawberry-like syrup. Both my wife and i tasted it as well. Our combined consensus...It was plain and simple - BAD! The service never got any better. I ordered an iced tea. I got a 10 ounce glass filled with ice and about 4 ounces of tea. On a hot day, you can imagine I finish it before our food arrived...my glass stayed empty thought out the rest of the meal. My wife has a Gluten intolerance and we were excited to try Good Eatz for this reason. I am sorry to say, I actually sought this place out. We are accustomed to eating and preparing dishing that are free of Gluten. It is clear that nobody at Good Eatz is familiar with preparing "Good Eatz". $80 later we left with everyone still hungry. Oh, and BAKERY??? Try a small selection of pre-wrapped cookies and a few cupcakes in the fridge. To call this place a bakery is a complete joke. We live about 20 miles away so I actually brought a cooler so we could take some baked goods home as we were in Reading to visit the museum. (Gluten free baked goods are hard to come by) Needless to say, we left without any baked goods. If you do not like someone and want to tick them off, send them to this dump. I would not go back there for a free meal. It is very clear that every good review that has been posted must be from friends and family of the ownership. I could not possibly imagine that anyone would actually like this place. BAD FOOD, BAD SERVICE, JUST BAD, BAD, BAD!!!!

Pros: NOTHING, AT, ALL

Cons: FOOD, SERVICE, EVERYTHING

GoodEatz Well Jamie, in the almost 5 years of having the café I have never witnessed such a disturbing,scathing review. We have had hundreds of reviews in many mediums(NONE intentionally posted by relatives, etc. as you inferred).
I am very upset at anyone ever coming to my establishment and having such an experience. As I am almost always on site, I cannot imagine this occurring without it coming to my attention. I am very sorry that this built up to such a catastrophe without you mentioning it to anyone on staff.
We are regularly complimented on the demeanor of our staff but I imagine there could have been a bad day. If the food was as atrocious as stated, I cannot believe that it was not mentioned. It is our policy to replace, refund or do whatever we can to make the experience pleasurable.
Concerning our bakery-we produce only gluten free and have supplied health food stores and markets in the tri-state area for 10 years now with consistent success. We always have cookies, brownies, cakes, cupcakes, tarts, cheesecakes and crisps as well as cakes by the slice so I am in a total quandary about your description.
My name is Rick Allebach and I am the creator and owner of Good Eatz. I would welcome speaking with you to personally address your concerns and issues and attempt to rectify this as this is very upsetting to myself and my staff.

Vegan Options in West Reading! - Edit

Thrilled to have vegan-friendly restaurants in the greater Reading area, my daughter & I love to go for the Maple Buckwheat Pancakes (GF V) w/honey butter, sugar- roasted cubanel pepper and fresh fruit. (Please make breakfast available all day!)We sit under the leaf, upper level, "Totorro" style.

They can often cheerfully 'veganize' a dish for you upon request. Our servers have been cheerful, friendly and most helpful.

Girls Night Out: ladies receive free glass of wine and a dessert. Guys Burger Night. Open Mike Night, etc. Twitter followers and FaceBook fans receive discounts, I believe.

Vegan examples pulled from their Specials Menu:
Vegan Curried Lentil Soup, Chilled Cauliflower Soup; 5-Bean Vegan Chili: (GF V Ve DF)Curried Tempeh over House Quinoa Rice Blend with Salad: (GF V Ve DF); Sesame Ginger Marinated Organic Tofu on Whole Wheat Kaiser with Side Salad.

Vegan Lunch/Dinner Selections:
Organic Vegan Veggie "Burger" (GF* V Ve DF) Made from mushrooms, brown rice and assorted vegetables, served with lettuce, tomato, onion, deli pickle and side salad.

Marinated Organic Tofu "Burger" (GF* V Ve DF ) House-marinated, daily selections, with side salad.

Sautéed Vegetable Wrap (GF* V Ve DF) Broccoli, butternut, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, pepper, grilled asparagus and hummus, served with a side salad.

Ratatouille Wrap (GF* V Ve DF ) Zucchini, squash, onions, portabellas, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and hummus, served with a side salad.

Grilled Vegetable Panini (GF* V Ve DF) Hummus, eggplant, roasted red pepper, asparagus and portabella on a Ciabatta roll, served with a side salad.

Vegan Grilled Reuben (GF* V Ve DF) Choice of grilled tofu, tempeh or portabella with vegan 1000 Island dressing, vegan cheese and kraut on seedless rye, served with a side salad.

Vegan BBQ Sloppy Joe (GF* V Ve DF ) Served on a Kaiser roll with vegan cheese and side salad.

Vegan Veggie Lasagna (GF V Ve DF ) TVP, tofu, eggplant, spinach, zucchini, marinara, rice lasagna noodles, with a garden salad.

Pesto Pasta (GF* V Ve DF ) House or gluten-free pasta tossed in olive oil and house-made pesto, with a garden salad.

Vegan Shepherd's Pie (GF V Ve DF) Textured vegetable protein, veggies and mashed potatoes, with a garden salad.

Seitan Meatloaf (V Ve DF) Served with mashed potatoes, gravy and a garden salad.

New smoothie machine.

Local, non-chain, green, organic, with more than your token vegan options; always evolving. If they thrive, more will come

Pros: Vegan options, Helpful Staff, Buckwheat Pancakes!

Cons: More whole grain options, More whole food sweetners/alternatives, More vegan options

Hopeful for Improvement - Edit

I hate to write a mediocre review of Good Eatz because I VERY badly want to love and support this restaurant as a vegan-friendly fair-trade eatery.

I've been there to eat 8-10 times. I kept hoping the food would improve. Each time I came back, the taste of the food seemed to get more and more bland. The vegan cookies were dry and floury-tasting (after having cookies from Vegan Treats in Bethlehem I know there is no excuse for dry vegan cookies). The grilled salad veggies were more and more oily each time. Coffee was often tepid.

The servers and staff were VERY polite and attentive every time I've been there though, and I've always appreciated that very much.

I'd love to hear someday soon that the cooking at Good Eatz improves, and I understand that they may be in a learning process. I would come there at least once a week to dine if the prepared meals were worthy of the raw ingredients they are procuring. :)

Pros: Attentive waitstaff, Vegan friendly, Local ingredients

Cons: Bland-tasting food, prices are a bit steep

Ok veggie options, but needs improvement - Edit

I'm very happy to support this type of restaurant, however, dishes and the level of service are often hit or miss.

I've enjoyed omelettes, potatoes and vegan pancakes for breakfast, but haven't found many lunch and dinner dishes/specials that I would consider tasty. Dishes I don't care for have ranged from so-so to bland to downright bad. I ordered a "pizza" special thinking no one could mess that up and I was wrong. It was terrible.

While I'm happy they have so many vegan and vegetarian options in a town where this is extremely hard to find, I can't give them a high rating based on that alone.

Sometimes I get a waitress who is smiley and attentive, but most of the time I feel rushed or ignored.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 11, 2011
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 11, 2011

Pros: Vegan Options, Philosophy, Location

Cons: Overall taste of food, Service, Small

worth a visit - Edit

I had a vegan wrap which was rather good and stuffed with tons of veggies. The fruit salad side however was not very fresh. I was alone and I noticed other people were asked if this was their first time. They were told specials, and told about the restaurant. I was immediately given water and asked if I was ready to order. I felt rushed, as if I was needlessly taking up space. When I gave the waitress my money she disappeared for about 5 min. and then started helping other people. I didn't get my change for over 10 min. Mind you there were three other tables occupied and 2 other waitresses. I might try this place again if only for the food.

Pros: good food, vegan food including desserts

Cons: poor service, would like more Raw Vegan options

Excellent meal - Edit

My dad and I visited this restaurant for Sunday brunch. We both ordered the vegetable omelet, mine vegan (tofu/cheese sub.) and his not vegan. He loved his and mine was delicious. There was also enough for me to save and eat as another meal. It's so great to have vegan options on a menu! It did take a little long for our food to come out to us, but the restaurant was nearly full with customers. Will definitely go back.

Pros: great food, friendly service

Cons: took a bit long to make our food

Improved vegan menu; this place is thriving! - Edit

I am updating my review & adding a star, after a recent visit to see their expanded vegan menu. Get a look (9 selections!):

1. Sautéed Vegetable Wrap -- Broccoli, butternut, sun dried tomatoes, onions, pepper, grilled asparagus & hummus $8~
2. Ratatouille Wrap -- Zucchini, squash, onions, portabellas, sundried tomato, fresh tomatoes & Baba Ganoush $8~
3. Vegan Veggie Lasagna -- Tofu, Eggplant, Spinach, Zucchini, Marinara, Lasagna Noodles & garden salad $10~
4. Grilled Vegetable Panini -- Hummus, eggplant, roasted red pepper, asparagus & portabella on Ciabatta $8~
5. Pesto Penne Pasta -- Gluten-free penne pasta tossed in olive oil & house-made pesto with garden salad $10~
6. Vegan Grilled Reuben -- Grilled Tofu, Vegan 1000 Island dressing, Vegan Cheese & kraut on rye $9~
7. Vegan Shepherd's Pie -- Textured Vegetable Protein, Veggies, Mashed Potatoes & garden salad $9~
8. Baked Vegan Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheeze -- Served with a side garden salad $9~
9. Vegan BBQ Sloppy Joe -- Served on a Kaiser roll with Vegan Cheese and side salad $8~

Before Good Eatz, nothing in Berks even had the word vegan on the menu. Originally a gluten-free bakery, GE is now a cafe that knows how to cater to specific diets & does not shy away from special requests. Looking at their menu, you might think it is your average lunch cafe with better & more creative stuff, but a closer look shows the menu is coded with symbols for vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, & gluten-free.

They use green cleaners & paint & take the green concept further than most restaurants. Service is very knowledgeable & excellent, and you can take home some really good bakery items, plenty of which are vegan, mmm. The Fat Elvis cupcakes are divine.

GE is similar to Blue Sky in Bethlehem, in the category of GREAT alternative to a diner. I wish there was less meat since it is called a green cafe, & we all know that meat is not good for the environment any way you slice it, especially in terms of carbon footprint.

Good Eatz is in a former pizza shop. The Harvest Salad *Fort* was really cool, made from logs of asparagus and squash. Never saw that before! The mushroom stew is so good I have to have it every time. I would love to see fakemeats added to the menu & for them to lose at least the red meat, even though they don't aim to be vegetarian.

The place has been packed every time I have been in & is now open until 8pm. We took in a bottle of wine recently & were well catered-to.

Pros: vegan menu, good service, vegan desserts

Cons: beef on menu

Return to Reading Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Good Eatz Green Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1731 times since Apr 2009.