First Review by

great little place - Edit

I love going here and supporting a local store! The employees are always super helpful and knowledgeable. The place has great character, although I feel claustrophobic in there if it's busy. I can't always find what I need, sometimes selection is random, but I'm sure they would order something if I had time to wait for it. They have about the best bulk food selection in the city. They have everything I could ever want in that section. Parking can be a pain if you go at a busy time in Broad Ripple, but that's normal for anything in B Rip.

Pros: Bulk items, Local, Knowledgeable staff

Cons: Claustrophobic, Don't always have what I need

My first experience - Edit

First, I should mention that parking is indeed a pain...that is, unless you realize that they have their own parking lot behind the store (and perhaps avoid going during dinner time, since there are many restaurants around).

My first impression of the store when I first walked in was "Wow, this is small!" But as you venture further back into the store, you see that it opens up into several different sections.

The produce selection was 'alright.'

Although I'm a newbie vegan, and this was my first visit to any health food store, the prices did seem a touch high, yet not so outrageous that I turned around and walked out.

You also get a 5% discount if you spend more than $75, and if you get a frequent-customer card, you get $10 for every $250 you spend (1 stamp for every $25 you spend; $10 for 10 stamps).

The general atmosphere was friendly, and most of the fellow customers seemed pretty cordial and talkative. The employees were also friendly, and provided service with a smile.

All-in-all, I have no experience with other food stores to make a comparison, as of yet, but I certainly return to this establishment again.

Pros: friendly atmosphere, off-street parking, discounts

Cons: pricey, somewhat cramped isle-space, not a huge store

Great place to stock up on goodies - Edit

I love going to Good Earth. Yes, parking can be a pain and it tends to get crowded but it's a great place to shop. They carry plenty of items from frozen foods, fresh fruit and veg, cosmetics, bulk items and an Earth Shoe store. The staff seem to be a close-knit group and are quick to assist shoppers. I have had nothing but positive experiences in my many visits. They also are one of the few places in the city to stock vegan snacks like Alternative Baking Co. cookies, Stonewall Jerquee, and Chicago Soy Dairy items.

Pros: great selection, friendly staff, vegan convenience foods

Cons: not wheelchair accessible, limited parking

good earth is great - Edit

this saved me back in college when i had no where else to get healthy food. the prices were reasonable, the products incredible and the workers were extremely kind. i hope to get back there again soon.

Pros: great service, location, atmosphere

This place is a happening. - Edit

I've read that there is a new career out there called environmental designer that creates atmospheres and identities for places. For example, Starbucks has its own feel. This place has its own atmosphere! It's in an old house right on the canal with new discoveries in every nook and cranny. The herbs, shoes, books, teas, and soaps, etc. are upstairs. You might have to search for them, but don't miss it. It's got the best prices of any other health food store in the area, and I find items there that I can't find anywhere else. I go out of my way to go here. If you don't see something you want, they will accomodate you. Yes, it can be crowded. Go during the least busy times - like the weeknights or during the day. I have smiled before while listening to one of the guys louding singing to a jazz piece playing on the radio and loving his style and exuberance. There is friendliness, knowledgeability, and easy going humor there! When I first came here over 20 years ago, they were here, and I hope they will still be here at least that long more.

Local Gem! - Edit

This place is a gem. It is just jam packed with stuff. Lots of vegan items, a lot of things fr natural health including a great herbalist apothecary type vitamin shop upstairs. Also a great selection of hand made soaps made from all over, including locally. Large selection of Earth shoes! VERY knowledgeable staff. The only problems with it are that is is extremely crowded, sometimes hard to find things, and a pretty small produce selection.

Pros: Lots of items, knowledgeable staff, independent/local

Cons: crowded, hard to find items, lack of produce

Return to Indianapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Good Earth Natural Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1367 times since Aug 2007.