Lacto
Ovo
Japanese
Beer/Wine
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant group operating multiple outlets in Tokyo. Edo style sushi bar and sit-down dining. Offers one vegetarian set which comes with handmade cold soba, veggies, and sides. Ask if vegetable tempura is fried in oil that's separate from animal products. Specify vegan when ordering. Reported to have added a vegan menu February 2023. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-3:30am.

Venue map for Gonpachi - Shibuya
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by jennocide

MadisonWesarg

Points +86

04 Feb 2024

Sushi

It was so nice to get some decent vegan sushi instead of the classic cucumber. I really enjoyed both sushi plates and can't say which I preferred. The dining is also super pretty and the view is worth a million dollars

Pros: Sushi, Service , Atmosphere

veganfoodiechristine

Points +165

09 Dec 2023

Expensive for what it is

Visited on September 17, 2023. I was very excited to see that Gonpachi Shibuya has a vegan menu! Gonpachi has a few branches throughout Tokyo. Only some of their locations have a vegan menu, so be sure to check before you go.

I was impressed with their vegan selection, which included a vegan caviar sushi! The fresh tofu was fantastic too. The food is on the pricy side. We paid $180 CAD for three people 😅 I would be eager to go back if it wasn't so expensive. I think there are better food options for much better prices.

We ordered:
- Fresh tofu
- Vegetable tempura
- Assortment of vegan sushi

michaelchasecooper

Points +99

06 Dec 2023

Delicious vegan sushi

For my first vegan sushi experience in Japan, this was a great place for it. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

fabiandelrey

Points +196

02 Nov 2023

Great atmosphere, great food

Came here for the sushi, but unfortunately it was 2.30pm and sushi starts only at 5. However, after asking for the vegan menu, I could order skewers with a great smoky taste and tempura. Both were super yummy! Had to think of Kill Bill somehow..

KhadijahJones

Points +223

26 Oct 2023

Amazing atmosphere and well priced

Really enjoy having a separate vegan menu with many options - workers were all very friendly and happy to answer questions.

The environment was great - amazing atmosphere and felt really authentic

kaus19

Points +904

09 Oct 2023

Fantastic ambience and vegan sushi rolls

The atmosphere is loud and awesome. They have a separate small vegan menu and English friendly staff. Vegan Sushi rolls were good.

Nasuvampa

Points +592

28 Aug 2023

Delicious dinner

Ask for the separate vegan menu! We had the sushi rolls, tempura and grilled skewers (based on the recommendations here) and everything was extremely tasty! One of the best meals of the trip for sure. Especially the mushroom skewers were heavenly. Note that you can order a mixed plate with a combination of different skewers or order some separately.

The only negatives were that it is was a bit on the expensive side as portion size was quite small. Also, the service was not the best - for example it took some time to get the check, and only after we tried to pay in cash they quite rudely informed us that only credit card is accepted (even though we spoke fluent Japanese). So don’t bother with cash here!

Pros: Great tastes and textures, Beautiful view (if reservation is made)

Cons: Expensive for the portion size, Service was a bit rude

CrMcr

Points +40

23 Jun 2023

Tasty vegan Japanese options

Really friendly good atmosphere restaurant. Go up to the 14th floor- there are signs for Gonpachi 14F on the ground floor. They had a vegan menu available in English. I had the vegan sushi and vegetable tempura both were very good. This was around 2600Yen.

Pros: Friendly service, Vegan menu and vegan saki marked, Highball drink!

totallymaart

Points +89

17 Apr 2023

Great location

Vegan menu available upon request. Staff asked to make sure we were vegan (eg. No egg, milk, dashi). Had the sushi, tempura, and vegetable skewers. Everything was very fresh and delicious. It is on the expensive side.

troutdancers

Points +102

29 Mar 2023

Finally some vegan sushi!

Ahh so nice to finally have some vegan sushi in Japan! This place has a whole vegan menu with a choice of two sushi, tempura, tofu, edamame etc. I got both sushi sets and some tofu - all of which were delicious, but would particularly recommend the vegan roll sushi. Staff were friendly and engaging - not sure of English level, as my Japanese cousin did the talking. Banging views of Shibuya.

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Delicious food , Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive - particularly if your pal has fish

brittanyf

Points +60

19 Feb 2023

Great sushi and great service

We were given a full vegan menu which was very helpful. The staff were very helpful and the food was great!

andyjng

Points +4344

15 Feb 2023

Vegan Nigiri - Hard Pass

Gonpachi is the definition of a Western restaurant but have it be located in the heart of Shibuya. Located on the 8th floor, this atmospheric restaurant is dressed to impress, but how does the food fair?

I added this spot to my itinerary as they have a dedicated vegan menu, with a cute nigiri set that looked nice. We ordered the nigiri, plus their vegetable tempura, and some veggie skewers. Be aware that there will obviously be cross-contamination at this restaurant.

The best part of the meal were definitely the skewers. The grilled mushrooms and shishito peppers on their charcoal grills gave it a nice, smoky taste.

The sushi and tempura however, were quite meh for the price. My nigiri was especially disappointing. I wasn't quite sure what else I should have expected, but it was literally avocado on rice, a shiitake mushroom on rice, chives on rice, etc. It was literally something I could have assembled at home for a fraction of the cost. Overall, food was nothing special to me.

Service was friendly but a bit confusing. We had a western worker approach and serve us, and some of the Japanese servers were around and spoke to us in half-Japanese/English.

I also found it weird that nobody working was wearing a mask. At the time, mask mandates inside were still enforced, so I found it REALLY odd that none of the staff wore them. Hence, why it reminded me of an American restaurant.

It was truly a night of confusion at Gonpachi. For vegans, yes there's an option, but I'd say pass and head to true vegetarian or vegan restaurants.

Pros: Nice atmosphere

Cons: Nigiri was bland, Pricy

Hayden5780

Points +172

26 Jan 2023

Good sushi in a lovely setting

The vegan menu was written in English and very easy to follow. When we requested this menu, the vegan soy sauce was brought over with it which was nice.

This was easily the most expensive sushi we ate in Japan but we got a view of the city and some lovely/unique sushi.

Everything we ate was delicious. We probably wouldn't return due to the cost, but it was nice to do once.

itsrinokt_

Points +3348

18 Jan 2023

First time

I’ve always wanted to try vegan sushi. It was such a great experience to try new kind of food. Iced Yuzu Tea was great, too. Definitely expensive but worth it.
The disappointing part would be that they put Katsuobushi (bonito flakes) as a topping when we ordered vegan shishito skewers. You can see that in the third photo…

Updated from previous review on 2022-12-16

Cons: Background music is too loud

CristyPC

Points +155

28 Oct 2022

Delicious vegan sushi

Delicious and beautifully presented vegan sushi. Lovely atmosphere. Great drinks.

Pros: Vegan menu, Beautiful vegan sushi, Great drinks

Cons: A bit expensive

egrzunov

Points +306

13 Mar 2020

Great restaurant

Has a seperate vegan menu. Ordered the tempura which was great, good mix of veggies and nice and crispy. Yakitori vegetables looked like they were going to be bland and boring but they were so flavourful and well seasoned! Definitely a favourite for me. Who knew grilled veggies could be such a stand out! A bit more on the expensive side but well worth it in my opinion.

Pros: Great taste, Good dining with a great view, Lovely service

JackieJans

Points +1228

02 Sep 2019

Decent vegan sushi option

It’s great to have a vegan sushi here in the middle of Tokyo, and it’s a beautiful restaurant. However not my absolute favorite sushi that you can get in the city. The Shiso roll was also very tasty.

AkihiroShugo

Points +1106

27 Apr 2019

Very nice vegan menu!!

We had good time with nice view.

petergwyn

Points +60

24 Apr 2019

All the soup is now fish based

Not vegetarian or vegan

Cons: Not begin or vegan friendly

BenoitGran

Points +599

13 Feb 2019

Good and fancy but expensive and not so many vegan options

The vegan sushis and skewers were great, and the place is at the same time very Japanese in a traditional sense and quite fancy.
But it is quite expensive, and the staff did not know what vegan meant, even after I explained in Japanese, so not very comfortable.

Pros: Delicious, Fancy

Cons: Expensive, Not vegan friendly

FionaWallace

Points +199

23 Dec 2018

Sushi in the sky

Get the glass elevator to the 14th floor (not for those who suffer from extreme vertigo!)
Pretty upmarket place, they have 2 sections a terayaki and a sushi so will seat you accordingly. The sushi side has views overlooking the city.
Staff really know vegan so make sure you tell them u are. We just popped by and didn't call ahead but they were really helpful. The soy sauce is NOT vegan as it has fish in it but the waiter brought one out for me made with vinegar. I had the avocado sushi. Presentation is lovely and it was really tasty!.

neekfan

Points +34

20 Nov 2018

Great veggie sushi selection!

Was a little hard to find, but just make your way into the building and head up the elevator. Service was a little slow in the back room but we came later at night. Views were great. HIGHLY recommend for vegan sushi- avocado, green onion!, ginger — they have more as well. Super good find.

Pros: Vegan sushi

Cons: Slow service (could have been an off night)

NatAdcock

Points +33

17 Nov 2018

High quality restaurant

We got a bit lost finding it - it’s on the 14th floor of a building, we were wandering down the street.
Once we got there, it had a lovely atmosphere and friendly staff. I was given a vegetarian menu and we were asked if we wanted bar or table. I had the soba with tempura, which was nice but the tempura was the best part so I would order that on its own next time.
There’s an extensive alcohol menu and my partner enjoyed the meaty options. A lot of variety in the menu if a group of you are going.

Pros: Vegetarian menu, Large restaurant with good atmosphere, Varied drinks menu

BlankSpace

Points +912

15 Oct 2018

Thanks HappyCow ! Lifesaver

Great restaurant with good ambiance.
Call ahead to say you're vegan and they'll do good things for you. Vegan dinner course is 5000jpy. I'm sure they have a la carte items too.
Grateful that Happy Cow recommended this place

Pros: Very helpful staff who speak English , They know what vegan means!, Food is good too

alexduncan1

Points +47

11 Oct 2018

Vegetarian Set Menu for Lunch Available with Option to go Vegan.

This was a life saver on our way to Maricart. They hadn’t received our booking and we had to wait 2hrs until the next slot. So we decided to grab lunch nearby and this seemed like the only place within very close walking distance (one of our group was on crutches) that we could get food. Great food, great service and they clearly understood vegetarianism and veganism (2 vegans and 2 veggies in our group) although we decided to use the “vegan passport” just to make sure (extremely useful in Tokyo). Although it was slightly expensive for an impromptu lunch it was worth it.

Pros: Vegetarian Set Lunch Menu Available, Option to go Vegan, Great food

Cons: Slightly Expensive for Lunch , Only One Choice (Set Menu)

jennocide

Points +130

15 Sep 2018

Attentive staff, tasty, fancy, late night & awesome

Vegan tempura, edamame, salad, tofu & vegetable skewers. Only skipped the tofu, but explained I was super hungry. Skewers (mushroom, asparagus, chili & onion) & salad were very tasty with large portions. Soy sauce is NOT vegan but they will prepare an olive oil dipping sauce if requested. Waiter was SUPER awesome and double checked with the chef that everything he suggested was vegan; I’m posting an image of the vegetarian/gluten free menu. Cool room with lots of space, OPEN LATE!! Worth a ¥700 cab ride from Shibuya when starving late at night 3

Pros: Communicative staff, Rad atmosphere , Tasty vegan options

Cons: A bit pricy