Gong De Lin - Godly - Huanghe Rd

• Vegetarian
Contact 021-33310519

2nd Floor, HongXiang Plaza, 21 Huanghe Rd, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China,

Chinese name 功德林素菜馆(黄河路店), address 黄浦区黄河路21号鸿祥大厦2楼. Serves vegetarian dishes and snacks at Yellow River Road. Directions: Inside of a building and on the right side near the Family Mart is a elevator, take it to floor 2.

Category: Chinese

First Review by Bob Sultan

Maybe better to go to their place in Nanjing rd - Edit

This is a smaller outlet of "Gong de Lin", situated on first floor of an office building.

When I went there I was very happy to see the same menu as in their Nanjing road restaurant (5 minutes walk away). They have only a few tables, and they only had one English menu, so I had to wait 10 minutes for some other guests to make their selection. So the restaurant was very quiet.

Unfortunately, some of the items that I normally order were not available (Which vegetarian Chinese restaurant normally runs out of tofu???). Nevertheless, the food was good, and the waitress was funny and friendly (definitely a big difference to their main restaurant!), but unfortunately also not as efficient as her counterparts in the other restaurant. Being able to speak a bit of Mandarin also greatly helped to place my order.

My suggestion would be to go there if you are right in the area, and do not want to waste time, but if you do have a larger group, or want to spend more time, maybe take the extra 5 minutes walk to their bigger outlet on Nanjing Road.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Quiet

Cons: Maybe fewer options than other outlets

Hours? Subway? - Edit

It would be helpful for this listing (and all the Shanghai listings) to have subway stop and hours listed. It's pretty hard to plan using these listings as a tourist, having no idea just by looking at the address where in the city it might be, especially with the map function not working.

Good food with lots of mock meats - Edit

This fancy looking place was hard to find. They have an English menu with interesting translations. The food was good, typically Chinese.  Lots of mock meats. The staff speak limited English.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Cons: interesting menu translations

Quiet Cafe with Reasonable Food - Edit

This restaurant is also called "Godly" and is apparently a branch of the restaurant on Nanjing Road. This place is easy to find. 21 Huanghe Rd is a large building. There is an elevator on the right side of the lobby that will take you up to the restaurant's second floor location. The place is small, eight tables or so, and the ambiance is pleasant. I like mock-meats (I notice that a lot of people don't) so I ordered the Papaya Chicken... they didn't have that. They suggested another type of Chicken, but they didn't have that either. Finally settled on the Kung Pao chicken which I thought was good. It wasn't breaded, and it wasn't particularly oily... pretty good. I also had spring rolls, but these were certainly nothing special. It seems that the only drinks are teas (a bit pricey). The prices are comparable to the other 'moderate' veggie restaurants I've been to in Shanghai... dishes generally ranged from 25 to 40 RMB. The wait staff wasn't particularly friendly... I felt just a little like I was intruding. Anyway, I think this is a 3.5, so I'll give it a 3.

Pros: Nice ambiance, Reasonable food, Easy to find

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gong De Lin - Godly - Huanghe Rd closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2125 times since Jul 2009.