Gomen Kudasai

845-255-8811

232 Main St, New Paltz, New York, USA, 12561

Serves meat, vegan options available. A Japanese noodle shop that also offers rice and set meals. Dishes can be prepared vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free upon request. Portions are small. Ask if uses same fryer for tempura. Can get noisy. Hosts live music and movies some nights. Open Mon 12:00pm-9:00pm, Thu-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Ovo, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by Amber Gilewski

Delicious Japanese Food, Great Vegan Options - Edit

After a day of volunteering at the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary, Japanese noodles sounded exactly like what we wanted for dinner. We were almost dissuaded from eating at Gomen Kudasai because of the low review on Happy Cow, but we decided to give it a chance anyway.

I'm glad that we did, though. The servers were eager to answer our questions and point out what was vegan and what was to be avoided. We ordered several appetizers, and we each ordered noodle soups and substituted for the vegan broth. It was all very tasty, flavorful and hearty.

We sat outside, and while initially, the service was slow - once everyone knew that we were out there, the waitstaff was very attentive. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Pros: Delicious, authentic dishes, Many vegan options

Cons: Had to remind the waitstaff we were seated outside

Meat in our food, and flavorless broth - Edit

I really, really wanted to like this place. Three of us - all vegan - went on a busy Saturday night and a live jazz band was playing. I love live music! We ordered the vegan versions of 3 things: the Kitsune (udon noodle soup with braised tofu), Sukiyaki (udon noodle soup with bean sprouts, tofu, & vegetables and usually comes with beef), and Kitsune with mountain vegetables (udon noodle soup with braised tofu and sansai mountain vegetables). The woman who appeared to be the manager/hostess was so friendly and helpful and suggested the addition of sansai to the Kitsune. She got people out of their seats and dancing to the music. It was a great atmosphere. Then the food came.

The vegan sukiyaki had at least 3 small pieces of beef in it. We weren't completely sure that it was beef until we asked the waitress about it, and she brought it into the kitchen and then came back with the same half-eaten bowl of soup and said that they drained all the beef out of it. We asked her to confirm that it was the vegan broth and she insisted that it was. Then where did the beef come from? That person just didn't trust the food any more and didn't finish her dinner.

The sansai mountain vegetables in my soup did not seem fresh at all. They were very soggy, mushy, and brown and almost flavorless, as if it came out of a can, or maybe they rehydrated some dried sansai. And the vegan broth (that they said is made of kombu and shiitake mushrooms) was almost flavorless.

When the bill came, they took $5 off because of the beef in the soup, but what they should've done was make her a whole new bowl of food. If there are 3 pieces of beef in your vegan broth, that broth is no longer vegan, even after you take the beef out.

I asked about the veggie spring rolls and she said they have a tiny amount of something, so only .02% of the spring roll isn't vegan.

The noodle soups can all be made vegan, but the menu says they charge an extra dollar for the vegan versions. If they really want to attract vegan customers, they should stop charging vegans extra when our ingredients costs less. If it weren't for the $5 taken off our bill, we would've been charged as much (or more!) for a dinner that leaves the meat out.

They made 2 big mistakes - putting meat in her meal, and then thinking it would all be ok if they just took the beef out and gave her back the same bowl of food - so it saddens me to say that I just don't trust that the vegan options are vegan.

Pros: great atmosphere, several vegan options, live music & special events

Cons: vegan broth is almost flavorless, I don't trust that vegan options are vegan , open late

A nice change from typical Japanese - Edit

Located in a corner of a strip mall and unremarkable from the outside, we like that this is more than just a noodle shop. It compliments the two other Japanese places in town, which are more sushi-oriented. Like most Japanese restaurants, you can usually find vegan stuff, but this one has some that are specifically labeled vegan. Ask when in doubt, and beware of bonito flakes which are in some dishes. Also, as mentioned in another review, their tempura batter normally has egg in it, which is a bummer.

Most of the dishes are simple with just a few ingredients, but some unusual flavors that make them more of a treat. The Mofo app is simple, basically marinated pieces of tofu with interesting pickle and ginger minced on top--it's a semi-soft tofu texture, which normally is a turnoff, but we liked it. The flavored rice balls are just that, but only $2.50 each and so a good deal for fairly filling items. The stir fried noodles were good, but not enough veggies for me. The Tofu-don was nice... spiced, firm tofu chunks on rice with a lot of scallions. The cold noodle salads are enjoyable as well, as are a number of sides to choose from.

The portions are modest, so expect to order more than two entrees for two people. I don't see that as a con, it's nice to try lots of different things rather than fill up on one. We usually ask for soy sauce and red pepper flakes to add salt and heat, as the overall flavor approach can be a little subtle. For example, we found the miso soup really bland, but with a little soy sauce was good.

The place can be *very* noisy. Twice there was live music--a really good jazz band but too loud for the space, which has tile floors that add to the resonation. Another night there was anime playing on a screen, which was really annoying. We asked them to turn it down. Call ahead to see what's going on that night.

The owner of the place is often there and is friendly and amenable to comments.

Overall, not enough offerings to be an actual destination for the vegan crowd, but a nice departure from the same old same old. When in New Paltz be sure to visit Woodstock Farm Sanctuary, about 20 minutes away.

Pros: Unusual offerings, Beer on tap

Cons: Noisy, Tempura not normally vegan

Not as many options as I hoped for - Edit

I really wanted to like this place as I had read some good reviews for it on Yelp. Also, as per their website, they have a separate vegan menu (or so it seems). I had my heart set on the vegan vegetable tempura. The website indicated one could order vegan batter for just $2 extra. When we arrived on a Saturday night, we were told their menu was more limited and a handful of vegan-friendly items were named. We were told that the vegetable tempura with vegan batter needed to be requested days in advance so they could make the batter. I was so disheartened, that I only ordered the vegan miso soup while my non-vegan partner ate his meal. I went to another restaurant for a full meal afterwards.

Pros: friendly owner, vegan dessert options, vegan miso soup

Cons: slow service, loud when musicians playing on weekends, menu more limited than appears

Return to New Paltz Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gomen Kudasai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.