Gomen Kudasai

845-255-8811

232 Main St, New Paltz, New York, USA, 12561

Serves meat, vegan options available. A Japanese noodle shop that also offers rice and set meals. Dishes can be prepared vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free upon request. Portions are small. Ask if uses same fryer for tempura. Can get noisy. Hosts live music and movies some nights. Open Mon 12:00pm-9:00pm, Thu-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Ovo, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by Amber Gilewski

A nice change from typical Japanese - Edit

Located in a corner of a strip mall and unremarkable from the outside, we like that this is more than just a noodle shop. It compliments the two other Japanese places in town, which are more sushi-oriented. Like most Japanese restaurants, you can usually find vegan stuff, but this one has some that are specifically labeled vegan. Ask when in doubt, and beware of bonito flakes which are in some dishes. Also, as mentioned in another review, their tempura batter normally has egg in it, which is a bummer.

Most of the dishes are simple with just a few ingredients, but some unusual flavors that make them more of a treat. The Mofo app is simple, basically marinated pieces of tofu with interesting pickle and ginger minced on top--it's a semi-soft tofu texture, which normally is a turnoff, but we liked it. The flavored rice balls are just that, but only $2.50 each and so a good deal for fairly filling items. The stir fried noodles were good, but not enough veggies for me. The Tofu-don was nice... spiced, firm tofu chunks on rice with a lot of scallions. The cold noodle salads are enjoyable as well, as are a number of sides to choose from.

The portions are modest, so expect to order more than two entrees for two people. I don't see that as a con, it's nice to try lots of different things rather than fill up on one. We usually ask for soy sauce and red pepper flakes to add salt and heat, as the overall flavor approach can be a little subtle. For example, we found the miso soup really bland, but with a little soy sauce was good.

The place can be *very* noisy. Twice there was live music--a really good jazz band but too loud for the space, which has tile floors that add to the resonation. Another night there was anime playing on a screen, which was really annoying. We asked them to turn it down. Call ahead to see what's going on that night.

The owner of the place is often there and is friendly and amenable to comments.

Overall, not enough offerings to be an actual destination for the vegan crowd, but a nice departure from the same old same old. When in New Paltz be sure to visit Woodstock Farm Sanctuary, about 20 minutes away.

Pros: Unusual offerings, Beer on tap

Cons: Noisy, Tempura not normally vegan

Not as many options as I hoped for - Edit

I really wanted to like this place as I had read some good reviews for it on Yelp. Also, as per their website, they have a separate vegan menu (or so it seems). I had my heart set on the vegan vegetable tempura. The website indicated one could order vegan batter for just $2 extra. When we arrived on a Saturday night, we were told their menu was more limited and a handful of vegan-friendly items were named. We were told that the vegetable tempura with vegan batter needed to be requested days in advance so they could make the batter. I was so disheartened, that I only ordered the vegan miso soup while my non-vegan partner ate his meal. I went to another restaurant for a full meal afterwards.

Pros: friendly owner, vegan dessert options, vegan miso soup

Cons: slow service, loud when musicians playing on weekends, menu more limited than appears

Return to New Paltz Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gomen Kudasai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.