Golden's on the Square

( 1 review )
770-251-4300

9 E Court Square, Newnan, Georgia, USA, 30263

Serves meat, vegan options available. Southern cooking cafeteria-style restaurant in a historic downtown building. Offers a large variety of vegetables which are not cooked with meat: includes collard greens, green beans, lima beans, black eyed peas, and others. Point to what you'd like and have them with cornbread and drink. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, American, Fast food, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by Julie R

GOOD SELECTION OF VEGGIES - Edit

I was visiting the small, charming town of Newnan, Georgia, and was really struggling trying to find a vegan or even vegetarian place to eat (there were none that were completely meat-free that I could find). There were a couple of fast food joints where I could have gotten a piece of lettuce, but not much more. I saw this place, Goldens on the Square, in downtown and went to see what they offered. It’s cafeteria-style, in a really cool old building (it’s right across the street from the old historic courthouse/visitor center). I got in the line and saw a very wide variety of vegetables (they also serve fried chicken and fish). I asked which veggies were cooked without meat, and was pleasantly surprised when she told me none of their veggies were cooked with meat. I got a vegetable place of carrots, sweet potatoes, and green beans. My mom got collard greens, lima beans, and black eyed peas. ALL the vegetables were quite good. The price for the 3 veggie plate was about $7, and included a drink and a piece of cornbread or dinner roll (can't beat that price!). You get in line, get a tray, and carry it to any table of your choice. The meal was so enjoyable, and I can’t imagine how this place managed to not be listed on Happy Cow (I applied to list it). If you find yourself in this delightful town, I would highly recommend you eat here. You can get a good southern meal, meat-free. If you are with someone who eats meat, the chicken and fish would please them. The place is super-clean, prices are cheap, the people are nice, parking is free on the street in front. All good! (I posted pics of the place, but sorry, I forgot to take pics of the food!) p.s.: After I posted my review, another Happy Cower told me that, "Almost every single restaurant in Newnan has vegan options," - that is good to know for my next visit!

Updated from previous review on 2017-10-22

Pros: Lots of vegetables to choose from, Food is reasonably priced, I was told none of the vegs were cooked with meat

Cons: They serve chicken and fish

2 Responses

rachelgirl8 23 Oct 2017 - Almost every single restaurant in Newnan has vegan options.

Julie R 23 Oct 2017 - @rachelgirl8 - Thank you for your response. When I arrive in a new town, the first thing I do is see if there are any fully vegan / vegetarian restaurants (serving no meat at all) I prefer to eat in places that are independent (Shop Small) and have never served meat. I didn't find any that fit that criteria in Newnan, and I wasn't really interested in places that served meat. For lack of anything better, I settled on Golden's because of all their vegetables. Based on my extensive travels, sometimes I find that when I visit a restaurant and ask about vegetarian options, I am told "we have nice salads" or "we have fish" (ha ha!) Salads are nice sometimes, but I prefer places that will offer tofu or other protein options. I will revise my review based on your comment that any restaurant in Newnan can adapt to vegan or vegetarian. I appreciate your comment; thank you.

Return to Newnan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Golden's on the Square closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.