CLOSED: Golden Wok

Contact 814-234-1102

332 W College Ave, State College, Pennsylvania, USA,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu includes a vegetarian section with many choices including tofu, bean curd, and various vegetable dishes. The majority of the staff is vegan. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by elles_belles

So-so - Edit

We have dined in and gotten food for take-out. The staff is friendly, accurate but speed of service is inconsistent.

The food, with ample vegetarian choices, is mediocre and the sauces have always been very oily with little flavor. An example being the General Tso's Bean Curd, although there are dried whole chilis thrown in the mix, you don't get much heat from them unless you bite directly into one.

We keep trying to like Golden Wok but something disappoints us a little almost every time. Probably why we don't go back until we forget, about once a year.

Vegetarian menu is actually Vegan menu - Edit

Just had dinner delivered. Chose the General Tso's Bean Curd and the Bean Curd and Broccoli with Szechuan Sauce. We ordered inline and specified vegan in the special instructions box. Quickly received a phone call from the restaurant to let us know that all of the menu items under the Vegetarian Menu" are always prepared vegan as is the Vegetable Lo-Mein. So great for a non-vegan restaurant to take such care of its vegan customers. The polite gentleman who called just wanted to reassure us that our food would met vegan standards. The meals arrived quickly and were fabulous! We'll be ordering again very soon!

Pros: Quality service, Diverse vegan options, Great food

Excellent and reliable - Edit

I have been going here for many years and it is a dependable choice. Always good. General Tso's bean curd, tofu and broccoli szechuan style are my favorites. They have been adding some additional veg options in the last few years. Probably the best Chinese food in State College in my opinion.

Pros: Excellent food, Ambiance, Reliable

Different from other Chinese places at Penn State - Edit

I worked at the Golden Wok and have had a number of tasty meals there. If you don't like overly-sweetened, Americanized Chinese food, this is the place for you.
I recommend the Broccoli and Bean Curd with Szechuan Sauce.

Return to State College Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Golden Wok closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 201 times since Oct 2011.