Golden Temple

Contact 020-6268560

Utrechtsestraat 126, Amsterdam, Netherlands,

Amsterdam's oldest vegetarian restaurant. Offers international cuisine, pizza, vegan ice cream, juices, raw food, and desserts. Lunch is vegan, gluten-free. Floor seating area on the 2nd leve. Operated by a yoga-teacher couple, the woman is knowledgeable about raw food & nutrition. International staff. Spiritual chanting and music nights. Open Mon-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm. Kitchen closes 9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering

First Review by mvanmaasdijk

Fantastic food, Surly service! - Edit

I reserved a table at the golden temple also saying we would need chairs due to older family members joining me for dinner. Upon arrival I was greeted by a young Dutch waitress who didn't know we had a reservation and when she asked the surly brown haired lady (guessing the owner) she said we had to come back later, they were full. I explained that I had made the reservation the day before and the young girl did everything to help. She found me a table at the rear of the restaurant next to the kitchen (not the best ambience!) I contacted family to let them know I had arrived but they told me they were turned away at the door. Once our group was finally assembled we did enjoy some amazing food. The portions, contrary to other reviews I have read, were large, beautifully presented and filling. The plates from the kitchen came without delay (perhaps sitting next to the kitchen helped). I have to thank the young waitress for helping accomodate us as the other lady was quite rude. I realise when times are busy it can be stressful but there was no excuse for her behaviour.

Terrible food and service - Edit

I ate here a couple years ago, so maybe it has changed since then. But I had a terrible experience. I ordered a dish with a mix of Indian food. After waiting almost an hour, it came out luke warm, bland tasting and not at all what i expected. There was no flavour in any of the food. After trying to flag down the waiter, it took almost another 20minutes. He still wanted me to pay for the food and I told him that I didn't even eat it so I shouldn't be expected to pay. I would have loved to order something else but my partner was almost done with his food and I didn't want to wait another hour. I ended up having to go to the store and get dinner because I was so hungry.

Pros: nice decor, floor seating, good location

Cons: bad service, low quality food, slow

Nice people, good food - Edit

We came here for the first time and had a wonderful experience. We honestly do not know where some previous reviews about the staff came from: they were both so nice! The waitress told us she is vegan as well and was very welcoming. The food did not take long at all and was delicious. We agree, it's not a big portion, but not small either: we ate a starter, main and dessert and were completely stuffed at the end (and we are big eaters). Will definitely come back some time.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-16

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff

Cons: Main courses somewhat pricey

2 Responses

sloeseb92 14 Sep 2016 - We are very happy to hear you had a nice evening at our restaurant. Hope to see you again soon!

sloeseb92 14 Sep 2016 - Seb- Golden Temple

Great little place! - Edit

Visited Amsterdam with a fellow-veggie friend, and found Golden Temple listed amongst the recommended veggie places in my rather out of date guide book. We confirmed via the internets that it did still exist, and headed there for dinner.
Place was already quite full, but we were greeted and invited to wait a few minutes as a table was about to be vacated. We squeezed in (not much elbow room between the tightly packed tables!) and were then spoilt for choice from the menu!
I opted for the vegan version of the kedgeree dish (the waitress said I would get some of the soup instead of raita) while my veggie-but-not-vegan friend went for one of the burrito/enchilada type options.
Food was beautifully presented and delicious, enjoyed a chai (soy) while my friend had a tasty looking smoothie.
Agree with other reviewers that portion sizes could be a little larger, (eg maybe more than one chapatti with the curry?) but decided that as there were VEGAN DESSERTS on the menu and I still had room, it would be rude not to try one! Went for the raw chocolate pie with a hint of coffee...soooo good!! Enjoyed the decor and friendly little dogs, would definitely return again!

Pros: Quirky/laid back vibe and decor, Varied menu, lots of vegan options, Very tasty food

Cons: Can be very full , Not the largest of portions

Poor service, small portions - Edit

All the food was pretty expensive and we received tiny portions of not so great food. Dishes with truffel only tasted like truffel. The costumer service was definately lacking and slow.

2 Responses

sloeseb92 14 Sep 2016 - Sorry to hear you were disappointed with our food quality, portion size and customer service. Thank you for your feedback!

sloeseb92 14 Sep 2016 - Seb - Golden Temple

Still hungry after visiting - Edit

First, the staff is very unfriendly. It was also really personal, others around us (it seemed) were helped fine? And I consider myself totally as a friendly neat guy. The food was not much better, the portions were very small (for that price). What you get has a good taste, 'finger licking good' to be honest. Cake as dessert: for takeaway of course, to go out of there asap.

Cons: Expensive , Unfriendly staff, Small Portions

2 Responses

sloeseb92 14 Sep 2016 - HI there, Sorry to hear that staff were unfriendly. We try our best to be attentive and helpful with all of our costumers. We are currently working on our portion sizes. Thank you for your feedback.

Seb- Golden Temple

sloeseb92 14 Sep 2016 - Seb - Golden Temple

Loved Golden Temple - Edit

Loved the food and international menu options and dishes. Something for everyone. Really cute and cosy interiors and wholesome food. I had the mexican soft tacos, super filling and delicious. Recommend it if you are in Amsterdam and staying in the East side of town

Pros: cosy interior design, wide menu selection, yummy desserts & drinks

Cute! - Edit

Very nice vegan/vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Amsterdam. The food is delicious, but maybe a bit expensive for some people. Nice ambiance and friendly staff. Worth a visit!

Pros: Wide variety of dishes ranging from Asian to Mexic, Cute ambiance/interior, Friendly staff

Cons: Pricy

Perfect Veggie Restaurant - Edit

The place has a nice atmosphere (compared to other vegan restaurants that can be very odd in styling and hygiene). There were a lot of options for a vegan on the menu. And it was not only indian food -as I would expect- but a lot of variety in dishes, which I liked.
The staff was a bit messy, but my overall experience of the food was great!

Pros: Nice food, Good atmosphere, Variety in dishes

Cons: Expensive, Busy, Messy staff

Improving :) - Edit

I've been here three times, December 28, 2013, February 19, 2015 and September 3, 2015. It's a nice setting and I like the ambiance. I do not like the prices (ratio to serving sizes) though, although it is manageable with the 15% discount I receive as a member of the Dutch vegan society.

On December 28, 2013 (a Saturday), we sat down next to the entrance in front of the window, where you can lounge on some cushions, very laid-back! Overall we had quite a good evening although service was a bit slow (even though we sat down at 5 pm), but, then came dessert... three very small pieces of pie, the three raw pies of the menu, for over 10 euros. Absolutely not worth it! Moreover, one of us ordered just one piece and got almost as much as I did for much less money. It was a disappointment to end the night this way.

February 2015 (a Thursday) I was here again on a date. We did enjoy it, our waitress was a bit unfocused but it didn't bother us. We had one appetizer, two main courses and we split a dessert, that was enough. We had the South East Asian Coconut Curry - divine - and the Traditional Mexican - okay but small - dishes, the Salt & Pepper Tofu as appetizer - good - and a chocolate pie - not my taste but my date liked it - for dessert. Considering the serving sizes I think it's a little overpriced; with the 15% discount as a member of the Dutch vegan society it is manageable though.

September 3rd (a Thursday) was my most recent visit here, with a friend. This time it was great, with good food and good service; we took our time and enjoyed everything.

Pros: Nice vibe, Vegan options & options to veganise, Friendly staff

Cons: Ratios price - portion

Very dissapointing - Edit

I paid 17€ for my pizza and was still hungry afterwards. I ordered the vegan mushroom pizza, which surely looked nice, but was really tasteless. I had to put salt and pepper on it to add at least little taste to it. The crust was whole wheat, healthy but not really tasty. I really enjoy healthy food, don't get me wrong here, but from time to time I wanna have a nice burger and pizza with lots of vegan cheese, which this pizza was definitely lacking. I liked the atmosphere, but the food and the personnel were really disappointing. I wont visit this place again.

Pros: Vegan options

Cons: Expensive, Unfriendly personnel, Tasteless

Wonderful all around - Edit

I have so many good things to say about this place. Love the atmosphere, the staff is knowledgeable and friendly and there are so many options. My only regret is that we stumbled upon the Golden Temple after dinner, so I only had room for dessert. The "vegan dessert of the day" was not available, but I was not disappointed with my raw lime/coconut cheesecake. Next time we're in Amsterdam, we'll definitely be giving this place a full visit!

Pros: Friendly and knowledgeable staff, Great atmosphere, Number of options

Cons: A little cramped

Disappointed and annoyed - Edit

As a long time vegan, it is important that the food ordered is what you are given to eat. I ordered the thali and was very specific that I was a plant based eater and that it had to be vegan. It would have been an ok mistake if I had not been the one to point out that they had served me a vegetarian dish after eating some of it. It is important that customers can trust the restaurant they are eating in.

Veggies done well. - Edit

Golden Temple has something for everyone. The staff were lovely, the food tasted great and the decor was intriguing. The only downsides was that it quickly grew noisy as it was quite busy, and the meals were quite expensive, but other than that I have no complaints!

Pros: Delicious food, Nice decor

Cons: Noisy

Funky, comfortable decor - Attentive services - Edit

Many vegan and gluten free options. Food is good but didn't hit it out of the park for us. There are so many vegetarian choices in Amsterdam, this should be on the list but it wasn't a favorite.

Pros: good basic flavors

Cons: too basic

not the best - Edit

really nice decor, and extremely friendly staff, but overall I was confused. This restaurant is based on a Gurdwara (temple) in India, so I was expecting Indian food, but the menu was a world away from Indian. yes, it had a few Indian options, but it also had mexican, Chinese & shepards pie!
the food was ok, I had the coconut curry, but it was lacking seasoning.

Pros: nice decor

Cons: expensive for what it was

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Golden Temple closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.