CLOSED: Golden Phoenix - Evergreen House

801-539-1122

1084 S State St (at E 900 S), Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84111

Serves meat, vegan options available. In late 2012 Evergreen House (vegan restaurant) moved inside Golden Phoenix restaurant (non-veg). There are two separate kitchens here, Evergreen's is all vegan. However, as reported Jan 2013, there's no longer a separate room dedicated to the Evergreen House vegan food and menu. Everyone is seated in the main area, and given a menu that includes non-vegan food. Be sure to ask specifically for the Evergreen menu. Confirmed closed, Sep 2017.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Meggie and Ben

Terrible Restaurant - Edit

I would like to give them 0 star if there is one.

The food is very so so, but the price is so expensive. If you have been to any number of Chinese restaurants you would know that most indecently generous Chinese restaurant provides free rice (at least one free bowl for every dish ordered). We (4 people) ordered 4 dishes with no free rice, they charged $1.50 PER BOWL. The service was terrible, one waitress there even forced us to pay full tips.

The restaurant house has very bad smells, no fresh air and hot. Another Chinese restaurants just 1-2 block away on that street, called New Mom's kitchen, is much better than this one.

Pros: no, no, no

Cons: Unfresh food, too expensive, no fresh air and hot insider

SUSHI?! - Edit

evergreens vegan sushi has my heart. every roll ive had has been delicious and worth the cost. the service is always friendly. sometimes they can disappear for a minute, but being a waitress i understand. a great place to bring omnis who refuse to eat vege food (;

Pros: spacious, friendly service

Cons: service slow at times

jkeith1992 29 Apr 2015 - should've gotten the sushi :O

Best vegan sushi ever - Edit

Fast, quiet, affordable, awesome vegan chinese food. Separate vegan kitchen and dining area. Literally THE best vegan sushi EVER !!!!!!!

Pros: vegan sushi, good value, friendly staff

Cons: state street

Delicious - Edit

Despite all the negative reviews I love this restaurant and their food. They have an entire separate section in the restaurant that is vegan and the menu surprisingly provides a multitude of options. I've had their dumplings, multiple stir fry's, as well as some of their faux shrimp dishes. I also love their spring rolls. I really like coming here when I'm in the mood for something Asian, vegan and Asian is hard to find in SLC. The prices are fair for the size. I like the location. They are never too crowded and always courteous and friendly. The service is not too quick though. I come here often with my family and friends and I always have good experiences.

Pros: Yummy, Decent Prices, Separate Vegan Dining Section

Cons: Slow Service, Not Many Deserts

Great For Lunch! Can Be Addictive - Edit

I am so happy to hear that Evergreen stayed open. Here is a restaurant that is far from perfect, but I have to score it well.

For what they have they do a great job. The prices are amazingly good. You can get stuffed for $6.95 if that's what you're after. So based on the price and circumstances of the restaurant I have to rate it high.

They stayed open by moving into another asian restaurant. They have seperate preperation areas and completely seperate menus so there is no chance of messing up. There is another restaruant that doesn't do that and I always get nervous that they will mess it up and put something in the food. Evergreen doesn't do that.

The service is, well, let's say it's not the Ritz, it's typical Chinese Food service. They smile sometimes, sometimes they just take your order. But they always get it right. The Mr. Chu green sauce is a must order. My two fav's are the number 6 and the number 7.

I must say though, the only two choices are mushroom stem and soybean as the "protein." I think that could be expanded. Other than that, it tastes freakishily like what I remember real chicken tasting like that many years ago.

Pros: Price!, Great Sauces, Open Everyday

Cons: Only one type of protein / Soy, Strange Ambiance, Uncomfortable Seating

Not as good as I was expecting... - Edit

A little while after Evergreen House closed, Golden Phoenix opened up new dining and kitchen sections of their restaurant with Evergreen House's menu. Exciting! So, my husband and I had to drop by. We actually never went to Golden Phoenix when they were around, so I can't comment how it was in comparison, but I can give my opinion on their food in general.

We were super excited about the boba tea they had, and their flavors didn't disappoint. Very good.

Next we got the crispy tofu boa, which was totally not what I was expecting. It wasn't like tofu at all... it was kind of like flaky, greasy... chicken fingers with a ketchup-tasting sauce. They definitely weren't bad, but they were SO greasy I could only eat one or two. With the flakiness it was almost like I was just eating layers of grease.

For our entrees, my husband got the curry potato with soybean and I got the so good seaweed roll with brown sauce. I was very excited when I heard they had brown rice, and both my husband and I ordered it. Unfortunately, I didn't really like either of our meals. My husband's curry potato with soybean tasted like some kind of weird out-of-the-box gravy over hash browns, carrots, and a really weird tasting soy 'meat.' Mine was totally bizarre and I can't really tell if I hated it or I hate fish now (it's supposed to be like a fish filet). Either way, the nori and brown sauce combination totally grossed me out and I hated how the veggies were undercooked.

Sooo all I ended up eating was a few pieces of tofu boa and a probably two bites of my entree. I was kind of disappointed and want to go back to see if we just ordered the wrong things, but I also don't want to pay for a bad meal again???

Pros: Good prices, All vegetarian

Cons: Food isn't good

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Golden Phoenix - Evergreen House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.