CLOSED: Gokul Snacks and Sweets

• Vegetarian

Contact 314-428-8888

10633-B Page Ave (at besides Seema stores), St Louis, Missouri, USA, 63132

Vegetarian Indian restaurant selling Indian sweets, snacks, and food. Daily all-you-can-eat lunch buffet, and a vegan dinner buffet on 1st and 3rd Monday of each month. This is its first/original location. Confirmed closed, May 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by SynthVegan

Not So Wonderful! - Edit

As a vegan, I'm always glad to find a vegetarian restaurant in a city that I'm visiting. However, Gogul's Snacks & Sweets is not a restaurant I'm likely to try again. I arrived around 5pm on a Saturday. A buffet was available and I asked which items were vegan. The waitress very quickly pointed at dishes that were okay and others that were not, but was clearly not very interested in making sure I understood her. I was the only customer in the restaurant at the time, so it wasn't like she was too busy. The curry dishes were lukewarm and most were soupy. The rice was clumpy and in low supply. All the dishes I tried were bland as far as hot spices go. On the plus side, the kitchen did make some vegan naan for me, which was good. But the overall quality of the food, in comparison to other Indian restaurants I've tried, was mediocre. Ibid for the service. The name says snacks and sweets, but I didn't see anything like that. It just looked like a regular restaurant. Not likely to go back!

Pros: All vegetarian restaurant., Vegan buffets on Monday nights.

Cons: Low food quality in taste and appearance, Barely warm food., Service sub-par.

my new go-to place in St Louis - Edit

Just happened across this restaurant. Food was really good and the staff was friendly. On Monday nights they have a vegan dinner buffet. I went in the afternoon and am not certain how safe I would feel to return at night, as the area is a bit 'different'. However, during the day it's just fine. A gentleman even pointed out what I should order the next time so that I can get the same thing but pay less. I will certainly return here-although I may have to miss out on the buffet.

Pros: good food, wide variety, friendly staff

Cons: sketchy area, closed on Tuesdays, buffet only at dinner time

Great Vegan Buffet - Edit

I have had the vegan buffet twice now at Gokul's and have been very pleased. Not only is it great to have a completely vegan buffet (the only vegan buffet that I have ever seen in St. Louis) where I can be worry free about everything I'm eating, but it is also really nice to try dishes that are not normally vegan, such as creamy dishes like mushroom muttar or vegetable korma.
My only complaints are both times they were low or completely out of rice and naan, and not quick to replenish. I also don't think the service was great, even by buffet standards. However, this didn't ruin my experiences, and I will definitely be going back.

Pros: Vegan Buffet tiwice per month, Excellent food, Moderately priced

Cons: Not great service

Loved it! - Edit

We made a quick trip over the holiday weekend to St. Louis to see the Gateway Arch and The Magic House. After reading the reviews here, I just had to eat at Gokul! This place was a little out of the way for us, but well worth the time and effort. We ate from the lunch buffet which had 2 vegan entrees (I asked.) That was fine with me, but the waiter brought another vegan dish and vegan "bread" to our table as well. We will eat here again!

Pros: fast, great food, family friendly

LOVED the 100% Vegan Buffet; KEEP IT!!!!! - Edit

My very first visit to Gokuls was this past Monday, 02Feb09, for their 1st all vegan buffet. The food was delicious! I loved the spices (sabor perfecto!) and all the food was fresh and frequently replenished as needed. There was an awesome variety and plenty from which to choose. I happily over-ate and stuffed myself for this one! :) I will definitely be back next month for the next installment of vegan buffet Mondays. :D

Btw, I was highly entertained by the Bollywood movie that was playing. It also allowed me to sit & watch, let my food digest, and return to the buffet for more vegan yumminess. ;-)

Pros: new vegan buffet 1st Monday of the month, reasonably priced; affordable, delicious Indian food

Cons: only 1 unisex bathroom

Gokul is amazing! - Edit

I ate here recently for a World Veg Day celebration and the whole buffet was vegan. Everything was so good! Although the regular menu isn't completely vegan (it is vegetarian), they still have many options. You will love this place, trust me!

Pros: Great food, Helpful staff

Cons: Limited seating, Not all buffet items were identified

VEGAN HEAVEN - Edit

Being vegan this is the first restaurant in years that I have been to and left feeling full. We went there for lunch and they had a buffet. Since there are no labels to let you know if something is vegan I had to ask the hostess. She was very polite and pointed out what was vegan and even offered to bring me out another dish if there were not enough vegan items for me in the buffet. That was not necessary since there was more than enough for me to eat. The food tasted great, and it was very cheap. I have only been there once and I now plan on going there at least once every week.

****I really really really wish though that they changed the menu and marked something if it was vegan. Also if they labeled what was vegan on the names of the items in the buffet.

Pros: Everything is vegetarian, Nice staff, Great food

Cons: I wish items were marked as vegan

Vegan essential - Edit

If you live in St.louis and are vegan/veg you better learn the way to Gokul. We get carry outs pretty regularly. They are 100%veg and very vegan friendly . Also, check out Raj's Rasio listed on HappyCow, too. He used to be a chef at Gokul.

Still An Excellent Vegetarian Indian Restaurant!!! - Edit

I wrote the review below before I signed up on the site. I just wanted to reiterate how awesome this restaurant is. Occasionally the St. Louis Animal Rights Team [START] will have a Vegan buffet here and the owner makes all Vegan dishes - that includes paneer [Vegan version consists of tofu rather than cheese].

The owner and employees here are truly amazing and I love all of the animal rights stickers that they affix to their display cases!

Be sure to watch START's page to see when their next buffet is [http://start.enviroweb.org/], I missed them all of this time because I didn't know about their site!

Pros: Fully Vegetarian , Occasional Vegan Buffets!, Dinner & A Movie!!!

Return to St Louis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Gokul Snacks and Sweets closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1963 times since Aug 2007.