Gojo Ethiopian

Contact 615-332-0710

415 Thompson Ln, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, 37211

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant with an outdoor hookah lounge. Ethiopian cuisine typically includes some vegan suitable dishes that are made with lentils, potatoes, and veggies. Here one of the labeled vegetarian item is cooked with butter but you can ask for oil instead. The daily lunch buffet also includes vegan dishes. Staff is knowledgeable and accommodating. Tue-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Buffet, Take-out, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by msmayz

Wow! - Edit

I wanted to try Ethiopian food as Book Publishing Company is publishing a cookbook in Feb. 2015 called, "Teff Love: Adventures in Vegan Ethiopian Cooking" by Kittee Berns: https://www.bookpubco.com/products/teff-love

I tried Ethiopian food once before I went here. From that experience, I didn't understand what the hype was all about and I thought it was kind of similar to Indian food.

Gojo blew my mind though! We got the Yemisser Sambussa (lentil "samosas")and they were delicious! This was followed by the vegetarian platter. It was great to be able to try all the different dishes, all of which were full of tasty and full of flavour.

I highly recommend trying Gojo! And I cannot wait to try out some of the recipes from Teff Love!

Pros: Delicious vegan food , New experience

great food, weird service - Edit

The service here is totally awkward almost every time, but the food is SO GOOD. We've stopped trying to dine-in because of bad experiences over and over, but we get take-out very regularly. Try the combo platter and yemiser sambussas.

Delicious vegan food! - Edit

Gojo has some of the best Ethiopian food I've ever tasted. It's seriously legit. I always order the Yemisser Sambussa (lentil "samosas"), which are five small vegan pastries, as an appetizer. For my main meal, I always get the Vegetarian Combo, which is also vegan and includes red spicy lentils, mild yellow lentils, seasoned chickpeas, green beans & carrots, and cabbage & potatoes, with extra injera (spongy flat bread) on the side, of course. Everything I've ever eaten there has been phenomenal.

If you and another person both order the Veg Combo (two orders total), they will bring it out on a single enormous platter and give you an extra green lentil salad in the middle.

Gojo is the real deal: you scoop the food up with the injera, and you don't even get silverware or your own plate. They'll give them to you if you ask, of course. Of note: they don't have a drink menu, but you are welcome to bring your own wine or beer with you.

The restaurant is family-owned, and the staff is really helpful, kind, and accommodating to vegans. The first time I ate at Gojo, they immediately knew what we meant by "vegan" and informed us that the everything on the vegetarian menu was vegan except for the fava bean salad, which could easily be made vegan (with oil instead of butter). They will also accommodate any gluten-free requests and give you rice instead of injera if you prefer.

Gojo definitely looks like an unassuming "hole in the wall" from the street, which in my experience is usually a pretty good indicator that the food will be excellent. This is a true gem of a restaurant! Fantastic food, a dedicated vegetarian menu, and very accommodating to vegans.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Staff is friendly & helpful to vegans, Quiet, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: Limited seating, Sometimes food takes long to come out

Return to Nashville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gojo Ethiopian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1789 times since Feb 2013.