Goji Cafe

972-243-1888

2330 Royal Ln Ste 900, Dallas, Texas, USA, 75229

Open hours vary - call before you go. Offers a range of cuisines, from Vietnamese to American. Lunch is served buffet style with also a la carte menu. Large space, seats 90. In 2013 it replaced New Start Veggie Garden at this location. Apr 2016 update it's open again. Open Mon 11:30am-3:00pm, Wed-Sun 11:30am-8:00pm. Closed Tues.

Category: Vegan, American, Buffet, Take-out, Asian, Catering, Vietnamese

First Review by PH0ENIX

Convenient Vegan Treasure - Edit

Easy to get to very near I-35E. Great Vegan food. Reasonable prices. Lots of variety.

Pros: Lots of healthy Vegan dishes.

Cons: Must look for since there is no great signage.

Always great - Edit

The owner and staff are really nice and the food is always great. Look for them at the next Veggie Fair.

Pros: Inexpensive, Great taste, Laid back and friendly atmosphere

Cons: Not always open

One of our favorite restaurants - Edit

We eat here regularly because the food is delicious! The owner is the same as "D' Vegan" very friendly and nice. He knows his stuff. Everything we had has been scrumptious and he tries to make everything on the healthy side yet still give full flavor. Our favorites are Lenongrass chicken on rice (great if you like spicy), chicken on rice (great for everyone and kids), Spicy Cha-Cha (spicy battered vegan shrimp), Spicy Pho noodle soup, raw pasta (surprisingly flavorful and very good for something totally raw). We couldn't get enough of the Nachos and also the Cheese bread. Cheesecake may not look fancy, but it is the best I've tasted anywhere! Must try!

Pros: EVERYTHING tastes great, Nice owner, Reasonable price

Cons: A little slow, Not best location but still ok

Great food - Edit

I was pleasantly surprised at the tastiness of the food. I have attempted to try just about everything on the menu and have yet to find anything that I didn't like. I love the bar-b-que wrap and also discovered that my 4 y/o and 7 y/o grandkids also love it.
Also, be advised that they're closed on Tuesdays.

too inconsistent - Edit

This has always been the most inconsistent of the vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Dallas. Never know when it is open or even what they will be serving. They can never seem to pick anything and stick to it. Went in today and now it is just a pretty standard menu, similar to D'vegan. Lights off. empty. "can I help you?" someone asked. "Are you open or not?" Buffet is "only one day a week only" I was told. They didn't bother to tell me what day though. oh well. won't be going back.

Cons: Need a magic 8 ball or a ouija board to figure out

Closed? - Edit

I went by for lunch on Tuesday Jan 12th at noon and no signs of life, nor indication of being open recently.

KaiB 13 Apr 2016 - I was disappointed to read your review so I checked the website and found that they are just closed Tuesdays. I then double checked they are still open by going for lunch on Monday. :) They did do away with the buffet though.

Great - Edit

Im very happy with food and service there. There cumcumber and lemon juice is refreshing got to have if you go there

AMAZING - Edit

It was delicious! The hardest part was picking one thing! The server was really helpful and kind, great service. Plus the prices are awesome! 3 of us ate for about $20!

Pros: food, service, price

Meh - Edit

The food was fairly greasy and tasted like traditional Chinese food. It's not great if you love raw or fresh foods like I do. It was underwhelming.

Pros: quick

Cons: greasy

WOW!! - Edit

This might be the best vegan buffet that I have ever been to. Setting aside that this buffet is only $7.99, which is insane, the variety, the freshness and the cleanliness is second to none other place I have ever been. Veggie sushi, fresh rolls, spring rolls, wontons, sweet potato fritters, and other appetizers, along with many different soups and main dishes, and then fruit and salads and even carob cake squares and cheesecake squares. SEVEN NINETY-NINE!!!! I love this place.

Pros: Fresh, Variety, CHEAP!

Cons: Not in Chicago

Great food, great value - Edit

I ate here for the first time today and it was very good. The restaurant is set up buffet style and it is very clean, the food is fresh and hot, and the manager, Maywon, was hovering over everything -- making sure the selections were filled, that the buffet stayed clean, that he greeted every customer. He was friendly and made a couple of suggestions for food to try (the Chinese bread is a WINNER). There are some meat selections (chicken and pork), but most everything is vegetarian and it is really GOOD. The tofu is awesome and if you like kimchi, it is also good. Try it, you won't be disappointed. Say hi to Maywon.

Pros: Excellent food. Hot food is hot., Very clean, Friendly staff

Not Bad - Edit

Two friends and I were in Dallas for the weekend and before we left, we decided to stop by here after reading some of the reviews. We're well vegetarian and we don't eat foods with onion and garlic, which was a bit of a problem. After speaking with the owner(?), a man who spoke Mandarin, we found out that most of the food on the buffet line does include onion and garlic. I was disappointed, but we were allowed to order off the menu and they would cook it onion and garlic-free for us. Really helpful and friendly!

We had the Trio of Sauteed Julienned Veggies, Fried Rice, and the Chinese Broccoli (don't quote me on any of these names). They were all freshly prepared and not overly seasoned - nor were they under-seasoned. The portions weren't too big but they were enough, especially with the free rice refills.

All in all, the fare was pretty good, the portions were decent for the price (3 dishes for just over $21), and everyone was helpful. Ah... I still crave myself some good Korean vegetarian buffet food that's been cooked with no onion or garlic. Must I wait until the next time I'm in Korea to get some??

Pros: Perfect seasoning, Accommodating & friendly staff, Spacious

Cons: Foods cooked with onion and garlic

Pleasant surprise - Edit

Everything about this place should have been bad - it is in a sketchy neighborhood, in an uninspiring strip mall, with tacky decor and a dreary looking buffet table. So, if I had driven off (which was my first impulse), I would have missed a wonderful, delicious, interesting meal. As many of you know from my previous reviews, I hate to serve myself, but I made an exception because I had just arrived in Dallas and wanted to be part of the "buffet" scene, which appears to be a big deal here. New Start Veggie Garden is an "Asian" restaurant, but the primary influence of the cook (who is Mexican) is largely Korean (the background of the owners, I was told). Today's buffet included two soups that were (thankfully) undersalted. The pumpkin soup was velvety and lovely, with a real taste of pumpkin. The eggless bi-bim-bap was lovely and aromatic. The sauteed eggplant and potato noodles were delicious, and the sushi and wrap were yummy. The chef prepared tacos, which were not very Korean, but very yummy. The only thing that did not work for me was the chicken dish - the chef obviously does not know how to cook TVP (she needs rehydrate TVP with something flavorful like vegetarian broth, and to squeeze out the excess liquid after rehydrating them!!). I did not eat the dessert because I read that there might be honey in the food, and I was (admittedly) too lazy to ask. All in all, for about ten dollars for lunch, you leave sated and happy. The restaurant also has a nice little vegan grocery and nutrient store with good prices. I'll go back, but maybe on a less dreary and rainy day.

Pros: Tasty food, Abundance / value, Lovely host

Cons: Uninspired location / decor, Why do they use honey???, Chef needs a TVP-101 cooking lesson

Great value buffet - Edit

We were driving through Dallas last week and our usual Veg Dining stop for Dallas was closed so we decided to give this place a try.
It's very clean! We enjoyed their buffet very much as there were many selections to choose from. There were several Asian dishes I had never had before and the taste of the food was quite good. The staff was friendly, too.
If you're looking for an Asian buffet in the Dallas area, definitely consider coming to New Start.

Get in my mouth... so good! - Edit

This place is well worth the visit for anyone in the Metroplex to try. I've taken vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends there and they have all found something that they like. Yong is friendly and so is the rest of the staff. I'm so glad this place has remained open in the land of "Steak and Taters".

Pros: Fresh Vegetables, Great Atmosphere, Reasonable Price

Very Pleasant Visit!! - Edit

After hearing all the great views of New Start Veggie Garden, I decided to try it out for myself. I really enjoyed most of the food I chose; although There were many items I did not try (I only picked familiar items or ones that at least looked yummy to me). The customer service was the best I've seen anywhere. Staff were extremely nice, and very hospitable. I must say, there could always be something to complain about though. I did not like the Mushroom Tea at all (although many say it's delicious)and a few other things I tested. It would have been nice to have some sort of sweet desserts added to the buffet other than the fruit or tofu cheesecake they had (Did not taste good to me). Overall I really liked it. And with the $6.99 Dinner Buffet, I couldn't beat that. I plan to visit again.

Pros: Great Price- $6.99 Dinner Buffet, Extremely Friendly, Very Clean and Comfortable

Cons: Bland Desserts

Food A++, Atmosphere A+, Owner A+++++++++ - Edit

The food here is awesome and since the owners are dedicated to the Vegan lifestyle, you can guarantee that their food will fit into your diet, unlike what I read about some other supposedly Vegan restaurants around Dallas. Their food is exceptional and we often eat off of their menu instead of the buffet (not because the buffet is bad, but because they offer such a great selection at a reasonable price $4-8). We especially enjoy their buffet. The food is almost always stocked and if you mention it, they will quickly cook up whatever has depleted.

The restaurant has been very clean every time we go. I have yet to see a table with dirty dishes on them for more than a few minutes. The employees quickly clean up after people leave.

I LOVE (and this is a man saying this ;-)) the owners. They are always grateful for your patronage and have often given us free food to try ever since we began going there. On our first trip, the owner actually helped us prepare a rice dish with seasoning and veggies that was amazing, which I still cannot duplicate. But luckily the owner is always willing to help me make it!!! :-D

I admit I have not been to the other Vegan restaurants yet, but after reading their reviews, I find that New Start excels in the areas where I see the other Vegan restaurants falling short.

Since this is my first review, go check out "Suma's Veggie Cafe" and "Veggie Garden" within a month and I will hopefully have reviewed them also.

PS We were eating "Rice Dream" for the first month of our new lifestyle and then we heard of "So Delicious" ice cream substitute, which our friends can't tell is non-dairy. It's awesome.

Pros: Owners, Buffet (Lunch and Dinner), New extended hours

Cons: Distance from Garland

Great food at great price! - Edit

I just went there for the first time tonight and it was very good! The atmosphere was great and the manager provided excelent service! It is all vegan but my non-vegan boyfriend loved it just as much as I did. For the next three months the dinner buffet is only $6.99! They also cary vegan supplements for a very reasonable price. This is a place that vegans and non-vegans must try!

Pros: Great Price, Excellent Service, awesome food

Return to Dallas Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Goji Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.