Glo - Engjateigur

Contact +354-553-1111

Engjateigur 19 (at opposite Hilton Nordica), Reykjavik, Iceland,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Quick service cafe with a few locations in Iceland. Each day has a rotating option menu with raw, vegan, vegetarian, and a chicken dish. Has raw as well vegan sweets, and you get complimentary, refillable hummus. Choose your items, pay at the counter, then find a seat. Free Wi-Fi for 2 hours. At the location of the now defunct A Naestu Grosum restaurant. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Raw, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by ChickpeaDee

I LOVE this restaurant! - Edit

Gló is my favorite restaurant in my country. There's a different menu EVERY DAY! Their options never disappoint me. The food is always delicious, the place looks very nice and it's really cozy. It's great to go there with a date, your friends, significant other, family, etc. It's literally perfection

Pros: Vegan, vegeterian and raw options, Good prices, Incredibly cozy and nice place

Decent place - good options - Edit

The options were pretty solid here. Most things marked vegan, and I enjoyed a decent wrap and some salads. The best part was probably the desserts, as they had several good pies and treats that were vegan. Not everything is, so be sure to ask. In a city with more options, I'd give this a miss, as the salads were pretty pedestrian fare, but in Reykjavik it was worth going to.

Pros: Dessert, Very clean, Bright

Glowing vegan place in Reykiavik - Edit

Situated in the 1st floor in the main shopping street. Light, clean and cozy atmosphere. Friendly staff and a small menu to choose from. Food is good but nothing exceptional - I would definately go there again.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: Small menu

Best. Meal. Ever! - Edit

Loved my main dish (raw basil pie), loved the concept (choose a main and 3 side dishes), and loved that I found it in Iceland!

I would have selected 5 stars but they do have one non vegan option. I see other, far less veg and vegan friendly places here with 4 stars. This is a 5 star raw vegan place not to be missed.

Do not let the long line fool you, it goes fast.

Pros: food, almost all vegan and all delish, atmosphere , location

Cons: not in my hometown

Fresh veggies, good food - Edit

Cute franchise in Iceland, they offer a vegan option daily that was delicious every time we went. You get to choose a main meal and then 3 salads all of which are vegan. They have coffee, tea and alcoholic beverages as well.

Pros: fresh food, clearly labelled vegan / veg options , cost not bad for Reykjavik

Fun wee cafe - Edit

Great vegan food with a certain menu helpful staff. I has the wrap with a salad plate and my husband had the soup. Both were excellent and it was great to have huge plates of salads wich. There is also fab selection of cakes. It's fairly expensive for a cafe style place but then most places in Iceland are!

Nice place - Edit

Had a vegan wrap, it was alright. the cashier was very helpfull with allergi-related stuff and explain what was in the wrap. First time i tired to eat there, it was so crowdes that i just came back another time. I would go back here.

Pros: Good food, Popular

Cons: crowded at times

Great for fresh and fast fruits and veggies - Edit

This is a very nice place to get huge veggie wraps and an assortment of fantastic looking salads and thick fruit and veggie packed smoothies. It's located in a little strip mall-ish looking place close to the Hilton but not easy to see from the street. This is Iceland's version of fast food with a deli style type counter but with amazing, healthy food. Though it has multiple locations with similar food - it's not a typical "fast food chain" it's quick and healthy lushness. Though it looks fancy inside it's not a pricy sit down. It's a place to get quick and healthy food in a calming environment. Fast food done right.

Pros: Quick Option, Lots of Fresh Veggies, Glo Smoothies

Cons: Not easy to see from street

The best vegan food! - Edit

I ate here 3 times during my trip to Iceland. I have to say without exaggeration it was the best Vegan food I have ever eaten! I had wraps, Raw Basil pie & Raw Pizza all served with 3 choices from the fantastic salad bar. A little expensive but most food is when eating out in Iceland. If you are Vegan in and visit Iceland you MUST try this place!

Pros: Delicious food , Spacious resturant , Friendly/helpful service

Cons: There's no Glo in my local town

Delicious - Edit

I had the bean burger in the other Glo yesterday and it was one of the best I've ever had. (The very best was at Cornucopia in Eugene, Oregon.) Today I had a veggie lasagna take away and it was also very good - a bit different, it had an Asian - coconut twist. The desserts - chocolate cake and raw chocolate - were also delicious.

Beautiful setting, beautiful food, always a pleasu - Edit

I've eaten at two of the Gló locations and they do not disappoint. Always a go-to. Pick from a raw or cooked vegan entree (also a meat and/or fish entree if some in your group are not veg) and three salads to accompany. Good mix of cooked and raw offerings. Fantastic coffee drinks and great desserts as well. A bit pricey, but fairly standard for Iceland.

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere

Cons: a bit pricey

Serves meat, but the veg options are great - Edit

Each day, Glo has 3 main meals: one raw, one vegan/vegetarian and one meat. You get to pick another 3 salads to complete your meal… along with as much hummus as you want. The hummus is fabulous. I also bought the glo bag a few times (needs to be ordered in advance): basically a day's worth of food, mostly raw, but they snuck in some cooked vegan food, too, one day. A bit oily, generally, but still nice vegan options for Iceland.

Mostly in Icelandic but they found English-speaking servers to help me figure out what was vegan.

Pros: all you can eat hummus!, take away glo bag

Cons: Icelandic only, long lines at lunch

A mistake - Edit

There is a huge banner saying this is best vegetarian restaurant but when you look at the menu you can see chicken salad... When I said chicken is not vegetarian I heard back "there is only a little chicken". Stop confusing people. Fail.

Delicious healthy vegan food! - Edit

We stayed 5 days in Reykjavik, and eated three times at this excellent place! Always at least one vegan meal, delicious and original salad buffet, amazing bread and vegan desserts!

Unmissable!

Great food but watch out, they also serve chicken! - Edit

I visited the new city centre location of Glo, and the sign outside said "vegetarian, raw food, organic". Aha! thought I, the HappyCow listing as vegetarian-friendly and not fully vegetarian must be out of date! However, I was wrong - they do serve (excellent) raw and vegetarian choices, but one of the dishes is always chicken. And given that that the menu was in Icelandic only, you run the risk of accidentally ordering it! Fortunately we didn't, but that was only because we both fancied the spinach lasagne, not because we'd spotted the Icelandic for chicken (kjúklingur in case you're interested). It was only looking at their website later that I realised they were not fully veggie. Verdict - a great place, but get the staff to translate the menu for you before you order!

Pros: Raw and vegan food, Good value, large portions

Cons: Not completely vegetarian, Menu in Icelandic only

Wonderful source of vegetables! - Edit

During a recent vacation in reyjkavik, I was saddened by the lack of interesting vegetables in many restaurants. But Glo was an exception. I enjoyed a delicious raw basil based entree, accompanied by fresh green salad and vegetables. The ambiance of the restaurant was lovely as well.

Pros: Ambiance, Free hummus, Vegetables

Amzing Choices! - Edit

I visited Glo in March 2012. What an amazing meal I had. They had many vegan options, fresh juices and even raw dishes. Fantastic decor. It is a cafe in a business center. It was quite busy when we went during lunch. My plate was full. It was a raw spinach like patty with peanut sauce on top, roasted potatoes, beet salad, homemade hummus and a nice green salad with shaved purple cabbage. My juice was a berry juice (see photo).

Pros: great people watching, yummy food, great service

Cons: location a bit out of the center of town

Return to Reykjavik Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Glo - Engjateigur closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6894 times since Sep 2011.