First Review by MirandaM

Umm... I think not :( - Edit

I was super excited to explore the vegan options, but the whole experience felt "dirty". The place looked and smelled like it needed a shower! But! I am adventurous and feel like I'm on a vegan mission here in Florence, so while I was looking through the case to find the "vegan" items, a lifeless, rude young girl asked me what I wanted. I asked her for some help in deciding between the options and she clearly wanted no part of it. So, I chose this square looking pastry (I guess) with chocolate in it, and ordered a cappuccino with rice milk. (The girl who made my coffee was actually very nice)

Let's just cut to the chase, shall we?
-The pastry was dry and barely had chocolate in it. I could have just ripped a piece out of my journal and threw a few sprinkles of chocolate on it.
-The coffee was probably the worst I ever had in my life. It was watery, bitter and just .. gross. Like instant coffee, but worse.

OH! And I'm pretty sure rude girl #1 overcharged me! I did not realize until I left, but the price I thought I saw on the display case did not match my receipt. It was off by 20 cents, which is not a lot, but still. (I could be wrong about this, but I don't think so)

This is one of the few times I did not finish what I ordered, but between the dark, dirty energy in the place and the nasty pastry and coffee, and Signorina Smiles I'd had enough. I left it all half-eaten and walked out... I then went to recover at a nearby gelato shop! :D

Pros: umm.. none

Cons: dirty, dark, depressing, poor quality food and coffee, just.. everything :(

A good place to drop by for a quick snack - Edit

I almost wouldn't have gone to this place because of the bad reviews, but we stumbled over it and I just couldn't resist the sign saying they offer vegan and organic food. I had a sandwich with tomato, tofu, zucchini and eggplant and I really liked it and did not find it dry at all. Mine was not lying in the counter but was freshly prepared for me. I just loved the variety of vegan pastry and sweets they offered! They seemed very eager to find something I would like and they succeeded.

Pros: fresh, organic food, good variety of vegan sweets, friendly and helpful staff

Cons: a little crowded

one of the few veg-friendly bars in florence - Edit

If you want to eat something fast while you're in the very heart of Florence, this is a good option. If my vegan sandwich was just decent the bar offers delicious vegan pastries that make the difference.

Pros: helpful staff

Cons: cruel cold cuts on the counter showcase

Ghastly place - Edit

In this cramped and dingy little place the vegan offering was a ready made "sandwich" with unlubricated hard bread and tasteless seitan or tofu with a few leaves of lettuce. It was tucked away in a corner of the display cabinet beside masses of meat and cheese. I tried the vegan cake but had to spit it out as eating sawdust is not to my taste. My impression was that this was a case of the owners paying lip service rather than having any interest in vegans. They deserve no stars at all.

Updated from previous review on Monday August 19, 2013

Cons: Dreadful food, Dismal surroundings, Unpleasant dtaff

Tiny cafe with a few disappointing vegan options - Edit

This counter-service cafe with 6 little tables opening onto the street offers a full range of sandwiches, from piles of meat to a couple vegetarian and vegan versions (tofu or seitan with tomato, rucula, and grilled eggplant slice). Despite requesting olive oil, the bread remained hard and dry. It was okay, but not a pleasure to eat.

We also tried a vegan pear cake and chocolate-filled pastry, which were also lackluster. The pastry tasted powdery.

Overall, I always appreciate vegan choices but I wouldn't return here, even though it made an inexpensive lunch.

Pros: Inexpensive

Cons: Dry, bland, not tasty

Nice Little Place - Vegan Oasis (Believe Me) - Edit

Although this place is thoroughly Italian - which is a good thing for cooking but not usually a good thing for vegans - it has some pretty darn good food and a pleasant atmosphere.

They sell tofu or seitan sandwiches with grilled eggplant and zucchini inside. Don't forget to ask them to put olive oil on the bread and grill it in the panini press or the sandwich will come out too dry.

They will make soy hot chocolate or coffee drinks, fresh orange juice, and they have a decent selection of vegan desserts - the best of which should not be missed: the pear and chocolate tart - Yum!

They place is small and fairly cramped, but they all speak English and are really nice actually. It's right near the Duomo so in the touristy centre of town.

I kissed the ground when I found this place, after weeks of struggling to eat in an otherwise barren desert of non-veg food! Please Italians adopt vegan food and health food! I know you're good cooks but it's time to let go of the pizza and pasta and enter 21st century Europe!!!

Pros: Good Food, Friendly workers / close to Duomo, Yummy vegan desserts

Cons: Small place - bit cramped

Vegan cappuccino!!! - Edit

It is a small, friendly cafe where many florentines wo work in the area use to have breakfast or lunch. One of the few places in Florence where you can drink a cappuccino with soya or oat milch. They also offer delicious sandwiches made with organic bread hoven baked.

Pros: food, service, location

=/ - Edit

There were vegan sandwiches when I visited, but they did not look good. It appeared to be plain tofu with lettuce and tomato or seitan.

There were 2 vegan desserts. I was excited and tried the cake for lunch. It tasted good, but I felt horrible after, it is the feeling that I get if I eat too much processed junk food. That was not comforting.
I would not go back again.

Cons: boring food, didn't feel well after

Vegan cake! - Edit

We visited this small cafe/snack bar in May 2012 looking for a sandwich, not knowing that they serve organic and vegan options. So I was delighted to be faced with a choice of 4 types of vegan cake, the 2 I tried were delicious. Worth finding if you want a sugar fix! The staff member who served us was friendly and helpful and even spoke some English.

Pros: Vegan cake!, Pleasant staff, Good value

Cons: Didn't see any vegan sandwiches

Return to Florence Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gli Stuzzichini del Corso closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2302 times since Jan 2012.