Glaros Snack Bar

• ( 5 reviews )

off Massouri Square, Massouri, Kalymnos, Greece, 85200

Serves meat, vegan options available. English and Greek food snack bar run by English owners. Has vegan, vegetarian and gluten free menus, plus specials. Vegans could get falafel, giant beans, salads, veggie burger, soya latte. Kalymnos Climbing guidebook available to borrow.
Note December 2021: Restaurants in Greece may open for limited indoor dining with proof of Covid-19 vaccination. Call ahead as hours and availability may change or be limited. Open Mon 4:00pm-12:00am, Tue-Sun 8:00am-12:00am.

Categories: Lacto, Mediterranean, Fast food, British, Greek, Non-veg

First Review by falafffel

Traveller1259

Points +13

Vegetarian
15 Jul 2020

Incredible food with a gorgeous view!

Delicious, homemade food and lovely cold drinks on outside seating at glaros bar. Really good vegetarian options! We returned many times on our holiday for lunch in the daytime and drinks at night. Really inspiring commitment to the Kalymnos bolt fund and the climbing community.

Pros: Delicious food, Gorgeous view of Telendos and sunsets, Fun atmosphere

Anettens

Points +66

18 Aug 2019

Well... We expected more

It was ok, not more. Waiter (the male owner?) was rather uninspired and not in the mood. Vegan meze was ok, but had a strange, seeet chilli sauce. Dolmades were great though. I did not feel too good about this place, I’m sorry.

Pros: Nice outside tables, Vegan options

Cons: Mosquitis (may be from the hedges), Uninspired

Thanassis

Points +205

12 Aug 2018

Very poor taste.

We ordered giant beans, ntolmadakia (stuffed wine leaves with rice) with hummus (instead of yogurt), a salad and a crepe filled with vegetables. The beans and the ntolmadakia were can food and they didn't inform us about that, otherwise we wouldn't have ordered it. Even the hummus was from the super market. I was really disappointed from that snack bar and when we told them that we didn't like the can food, the excuse was "that they are just a snack bar".
Additionally, in the vegan menu they have dishes with honey and feta. Feta is traditional Greek cheese and only one company produces a 100% vegan version of it. This company offers that product since a few months and you can not find it very easy at the moment. What I want to say is that I am not sure if the owners are well informed about vegan products and might offer something that is not 100% vegan. In Greece there are many pseudo vegan cheese and cream options with lactose, caseine and vitamin D from animals.

purplekarabiner

Points +20

15 May 2017

Homemade Vegan/Gluten Free/Veggie Heaven

I can't recommend Glaros enough. I have a tricky diet combination (vegan and gluten free) and always feel that I'm being looked after so well here. Some places on the island might profess to cater for everyone, but the staff at Glaros actually understand what a veggie or vegan means.

Over the course of a two-week holiday, we must have eaten here about six times. They have super-tasty chickpea or chilli bean burgers and falafel (all gluten free) and I also had veggie nachos with vegan cheese and guacamole. There is vegan and gluten-free bread available on all options. The salads are also great value for money and they do skinny french fries! Sue is a genius with gluten-free treats, and has come up with an amazing courgette bread, jam sponge and even fruit-based frozen desserts. We had a proper vegan English breakfast on our last day which made us a little less sad to be leaving the island!

Sue and Steve are very knowledgable about other places to eat/see/climb at too, so do pop in for a chat and also put a few coins into the bolt fund. They were the first 'climbers bar' and have played an important part in the development of Kalymnos as a world-famous climbing location.

falafffel

Points +3099

17 Jul 2016

Good place to eat after a climb

This is the only place in Massouri which clearly advertises some of its dishes as vegan. It is not very difficult to get vegan food at other places in the village (many have hummus, falafel, salads, fries etc) but it is still nice to see the word vegan on the menu and the sign outside the pub.

I have a burger and a salad which was good, nothing spectacular, but a nice change to some of the Kalymnian restaurants in Massouri, as this one here is run by a couple from the UK. They are very knowledgeable about the climbing in the area and also run the Kalymnos bolting project for which they deserve additional credit.

Pros: only place which clearly advertises food as vegan, owners are putting effort into the climbing routes

Return to Kalymnos Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Glaros Snack Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.