Giri Kana Cafe

Contact 07-5591-3555

Shop 1 H2O Broadwater, 82 Marine Parade, Southport, Gold Coast, Queensland, 4215

Opened July 2012, this is a vegetarian cafe that offers vegan options in peaceful atmosphere along the Southport Broadwater. Has breakfast, fresh juices, smoothies, locally roasted coffee, and cakes. Mon-Fri 6:30am-8:00pm, Sat 6:30am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering, Australian

First Review by rasandrasi

Some great stuff! - Edit

Excellent vegan salads and amazing burgers. Moderately priced, large portions.

Updated from previous review on 2016-06-07

Pros: Fresh and delicious, Tofu burgers are great

Cons: not all vegan but so close :/, premises on the small side, awkward for groups

vegetarian café with vegan options - Edit

This was a nice little place in Southport round the back of the main road. There were a lot of options for vegans and they had hot breakfasts which can be hard to find as a vegan. Unfortunately when we were there they were out of some of their breakfast sides, which was frustrating as it was still quite early. We both got tofu scramble which was great.

Delicious food, relaxed atmosphere - Edit

I love this cafe! 1) they have vegan cookies

Pros: delicious, vegan

Cons: parking can be hard if southport is busy, I'm not as keen on the "communal style" eating if , they charge a credit card/debit card processing fe

Giri Kana - Edit

I have always found plenty of vegan options here, and the food has always been delicious. Never had a problem with dairy in vegan dishes though it's a Hare Krishna inspired menu so they do include dairy items.
The location is convenient, being a walkable distance from the tram and bus stop at Southport. The staff have been great whenever I have gone.

Good experience but worried now - Edit

I had a burger here that was supposedly vegan but after just reading another review I am pretty worried, saying they put butter on the vegan burger buns.

I didn't personally taste it, so I can't comment but it does make me worried. If I go there again (fairly out of my way) I will question them on that for sure.

Pros: Good food, Cool Atmosphere

Cons: Not all vegan, Possibly put butter on vegan food

Disappointed - Edit

Today is friday12 September, I just left the cafe very unsatisified. I ordered the tofu burger, which says vegan on the website as well as the shop menu. When I received the burger I immediately tasted butter and I Thought I must be dreaming; it says vegan. I then proceed to take 2 more bites before asking the staff if it has butter with which they reply yes we put butter on the bun. But it wasnt a little bit it was drenched in it, I explained to the staff that I am allergic to dairy and they argued with me saying I should have told them. I replyed. I assumed it was vegan like the menu said. They didn't even offer to remake it and I walked out very angry. This is bad because I am a frequent vegan diner looking for good places to eat and after this I will definately not be going back.

Pros: Look of the cafe, Doesn't sell meat

Cons: Water container empty, Misleading menus, Arguing staff members

Yummo! - Edit

I went looking for a vegetarian place for lunch today so I googled it and found Giri Kana Cafe literally 2 streets away from my workplace and I couldn't believe my luck! This place was like heaven on earth, it was delicious. So good, I will return again and again as there was so much yummy food there that I would be very keen to try. Today I had Vegetable Indian Curry and Lentil Pie with potato top, it was beautiful and so filling all for only $10. I think this was a good price. I'll definiately return for a hot drink and piece of vegan cheesecake :)

Pros: Great Spot & breezy, Healthy Food, Friendly helpful staff

Top Spot in Southport - Edit

Great food, great staff, great ambience and great location. I had 4 choices: 2 salads, moussaka, kofta balls (all vegan). The plate was big and very reasonably priced at $16 also considering the high quality of the food. I don't think LSD was on the board menu but they made me a dandelion-soy-latte anyway and it was just fine. We went here on a Wednesday lunchtime and it was very busy. We ended up sharing our table with other people. Nice furnishings and decor. This place is great and its popularity is well deserved.

Pros: large portions, reasonable prices, friendly prompt service

Lovely experience - Edit

If you are in Southport Giri Kana is definitely worth a visit. The food was delicious, and there were plenty of vegan options, and vegan sweets without sugar. Try the raw cheesecake!

Great vegetarian, vegan and gluten free food! - Edit

I had lunch here recently with my family while visiting the Gold Coast. The food was delicious - great, fresh ingredients and very tasty - the serving sizes are very generous, and there are lots of gluten free and vegan options.

Desserts and coffee were nice too, and the service was lovely. Highly recommend this vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: Great range, Lots of vegan and GF options, Friendly service

Heaven under a tree.. - Edit

We visited Giri Kana Cafe on Wednesday and were absolutely delighted..From the simple yet elegant decor, the wonderful Burgers with amazing Sauces, the au Gratin was to die for and the Sweets make you feel like you ve died and gone to heaven.The staff are freindly and the Coffee was one of the best we have had on the Coast.Meals were well priced and the enclosed outdoor area is like an atrium, very Child friendly too...Highly recommend this Cute little place...

Pros: Good Value, Fresh and Delicious Cuisine, Peaceful Atmosphere

Giri Kana Cafe Really Good Food - Edit

We just visited Giri Kana Cafe for lunch. It is on the street level of the new H20 Building in Southport. Really nice covered outdoor seating area, Great looking cafe which is unfortunately rare for Vegie places.
Friendly staff was the second bonus and best of all the food certainly didn't let us down. We had very generous vegie burgers and salad plate. Tasty sauces and moist vegan gluten free patties.
We shared a mixed berry smoothie and were fully satisfied. But being a relaxing saturday we sat and read the paper until we were ready for coffee and cake.
Organic coffee and milk, and decadent tiramisu topped it off.
Were really good cooks at home, so are often disappointed when we eat out. So it's really nice to find a place where everything was good. Definitely recommend this new cafe.

Pros: lots of vegan options, gluten free options, lovely atmosphere

Return to Gold Coast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Giri Kana Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4779 times since Sep 2012.