Girard

267-457-2486

300 E Girard Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19125

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant known for brunch. Has vegan choices in starters, sides, salads, and almond milk for chai and beverages. Orange juice is freshly pressed. Sample vegan dishes include huevos rancheros, hummus wrap, breakfast potatoes, seasonal fruit salad. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-4:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-4:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by cookiem

Bruncherie with options for everyone - Edit

Immediately prior to visiting Girard, they changed their hours and their menu. We made plans on Thursday to go to Girard for brunch on Saturday. When we double-checked the menu the night before, half the menu appeared to be missing, including most of its original vegan offerings. However, we decided to keep our date.

We arrived before our friends did and they would not seat us until our whole party arrived—which makes sense but detracts, somewhat, from the experience. (There is not really anywhere to wait. I felt like I was in the way the whole time.) However, this did give me an opportunity to take in the space. It is incredibly inviting and family-friendly: they have little pails with crayons as well as high-chairs. It does get a bit loud, though, with all the people and babies.

When our friends arrived, our party of four was seated at a small round table. And I mean small: with 2 glasses each (water and BYOB beer), there was barely room for our appetizer plates. The server was friendly and efficient, though, and soon our order was taken: Huevos Rancheros (vegetarian), Superfood Salad (vegan), Vegan Biscuits & Gravy (vegan), and Chickpea Salad as a sandwich on whole-grain bread with a side of fries (vegan). It took about 30-45 minutes for our food to come out but it was fantastic when it finally arrived at our tiny table. The Superfood Salad was HUGE and my friend loved it. Her husband ordered the Huevos Rancheros and ate it heartily. My boyfriend—who has a tendency of inadvertently ordering the smallest entree on any given menu—got the Vegan Biscuits & Gravy, which was delicious but quite small. I ended up sharing half of my Chickpea Salad sandwich with him. (Which was delicious, by the way! As were the fries. They were spiced perfectly.) I asked about the "assorted pastries" on their specials menu to see if they had any vegan options and the server went to check... and never came back. So I'm still not sure if their pastries are vegan but I have to assume they are not. (One was a scone with cheese in it so that's definitely not vegan!)

Girard is nice because it has options for everyone, veg and non-veg alike. The atmosphere is inviting, the decor is beachy, and everyone is friendly. Definitely come here with non-veg friends and family members. However, consider coming in before the usual brunch-time rush because you'll be forced to wait for a table. And be ready to wait for your food, regardless of when you arrive, because it's cooked to order.

Pros: Tasty vegan options, friendly staff

Cons: Slow service

Veg friendly high quality and no frills - Edit

This place is a brunch destination in Philly, but they don't take reservations? How is that possible? Don't question, just go and hope you don't have to wait too long.

Why go to Girard when you're veg? Well, if you have friends and family who are tired of eating out with you at veg-only establishments, this is a good middle ground. They have freshly squeezed orange juice and almond milk for your coffee/espresso beverages. There are seasonal fruits dressed up like a melon salad with lime, basil and pepper, or grapefruit charred with vanilla sugar. The breakfast potatoes are so good and like everything else, they are made to order. So bring your patience and maybe your own champagne to make mimosas.

The food choices are solid- salads packed so full of veggies you'll be singing green praises, and of course any place with vegan huevos rancheros has my heart (and stomach). Don't forget avocado toast to share. Just go! If you're vegetarian, try some of their fresh baked goods or carb-based items like seasonal coffee cake, French toast or grilled cheese. Happy mouths here because the focus is on fresh food that tastes real.

Pros: Almond milk for espresso drinks, Salads, Fruit dished up with pizazz

Cons: Not all veg, Can wait a while for table and food

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Girard closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.