Gingko House

+852-25451200

G/F, 44 Gough St, Central, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

Serves meat, vegan options available. 銀杏館, at 中環歌賦街44號地下 aims to move towards an all veg menu. Social enterprise providing employment for senior citizens. Provides higher end cuisine. Offers set menu deals. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-3:30pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Organic, Raw, Non-veg

First Review by Pascal_HK

Gingko House, Hong Kong - Edit

Gingko House was previously omnivorous. They announced they were transitioning to being vegetarian in the latter part of 2015.

I went in again today. The chef told me that they are now using lacto vegetarian cheese.

The barrier to them being reclassified on happycow as vegetarian seems to be their booze:-

I would have asked Ken Choi, the Business Development Manager. He wasn't there though. I have taken pics of the booze menu and the wine selection and uploaded them to this listing. The bad news is:-

* Wells Banana Bread Beer - I just got email from their cust services people. This drink is made using isinglass (fish extract) and so is non vegetarian

Better news is:-

* Flensburger Gold
* Flensburger dunkel
* Fuller's ESB

The above are listed on www,barnivore.com as vegan

* Fuller's Honey dew - from the info on barnivore this seems to be vegetarian

Regrettably I can't find any info on Barnivore re the wines Gingko House sell. It seems likely the Clearly Organic wine sold is vegan grade vegetarian. That statement though contains an element of assumption.

If I get info that explains the booze Gingko House sells is indeed all vegetarian I would be delighted to upgrade this listing from veg friendly to vegetarian.

I have emailed this review and the email from the Wells Beer cust services people to Ken. This is intended to allow him to act upon this constructively if he wishes to seize that opportunity.

Updated from previous review on Friday October 30, 2015 to add this:

At the time when I ate there the chef was a lady named Esther. I had previously tried her food at a places such as Mum Cafe beside Aberdeen sports ground. I've always enjoyed her food. Ken subsequently told me she had moved on. This was as a long time ago.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-19

Cons: Non vego booze

Good but small portions - Edit

Lunch there today. Difficult to find a seat as the restaurant was full. Eventually a lady kindly agreed to share her table. Nice choice of set lunch (at least 6 from what I can recall, with different prices). Kind of fusion cuisine. I took the veg cutlet with curry and rice (with tax, paid HKD152). Comes with a soup as a starter. Food was good and original. You can taste they really cook it. My main complaint is the size of the portions. They should at least give twice for the soup (which would still be smaller than Mana! soup portion). As for the main dish, more side vegetable and rice would have been highly appreciated. Eventually I’m not sure to come back just because the portions are too small for me. But I have to admit that the ladies around me (80% of the customers) seemed to enjoy their lunch (who said ladies eat less than men?). Besides for those who like veg burger, the portion is larger.

Pros: good/original food, nice area near central

Cons: small size, waited 15mn for main dish

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gingko House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.