Gillam's Tea Room

Contact 01229587564

64 Market St, Ulverston, England, LA12 7LT

A traditional tea room that is vegetarian with vegan options. Serves tea and food. Open Tue-Sat 9:00am-5:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, English

First Review by Mimi

Ok lunch - Edit

I've been to Gillams a couple times before and gotten some good curries and stuff, but both times I always felt like I could make the same thing at home myself.

Today we went for lunch and I got avocado on toast, which sounds super simple but the sourdough bread was LOVELY and they put herbs and spices over the avocado. 7/10.

My mum got a tomato soup with a roll and she said the soup was a bit too sharp but the bread roll was delicious. 6/10

I then got a 'dark chocolate tiffin' as most of the other cakes had egg in. It was basically a block of dark chocolate and underneath a mix of biscuits and melted chocolate. It was yummy but extremely rich and dense. 6/10

The menu is okay for this place but almost everything comes with some sort of cheese, including on the special's board. It would be nice if they had more vegan options.

Pros: Cozy, Mediocre food

Cons: Can get busy, Not mind-blowing, Too much cheese with everything

old world and organic - Edit

owned by Douglas Gillam following in his grandfathers footsteps with this fantastic tearoom.
initially you would think it was aimed at high tea, but it's a hidden gem. the owner believes in great food, veggie & vegan, but also organic.
I had a sweet potato and pesto pie, with a side of vegan slaw and salad. I can away full but feeling good. not too full to sneak away with a vegan scone and a load of goodies from the shop. if you are staying in the area you would be wise to stop here as you could get a lot of tasty snack and groceries for your stay.
I'm looking forward to going back.
Douglas is vegan and off the wheat, so is very aware of an dietary requirement's. it's also the sort of place where they would make you food not on the menu if needed.

Pros: great vegan organic food , lovely staff, great interior and shop

just great - Edit

Went on holiday to Cumbria and so pleased to find this tea room only a few miles from the cottage we stayed in. A very pretty old fashioned tea room,lovely cakes and loads are vegan. We sat out one day in the courtyard on a warm sunny day, really made our holiday.

Pros: Garden that dogs can go in., Lots of vegan cakes., Nice staff.

Lovely vegan afternoon tea - Edit

I emailed a couple of days in advance and for a very nice vegan afternoon tea! There was a choice of sandwich fillings - we went for the olive tapenade, which was delicious but very strong, so I'd recommend getting another flavour as well. The scones were excellent, and it was nice to get some vegan cream as well. We could choose our cakes from the menu board - the chocolate tiffin was rich and delicious, and the banana and date cake was wonderfully moist. It's a busy place, so it's worth booking in advance if you know when you're going to visit. I loved it!

Pros: Very accommodating of vegans, Delicious afternoon tea available, Good, friendly service

Cons: Very busy!

Traditional Cumbrian at its best - Edit

Fascinating quirky building with a very steep staircase, exposed bricks, blazing open fire downstairs and intriguing posters on the walls (e.g. 18th-century advertisements of the sale of ships). Pleasingly huge vegan selection with dishes I haven't eaten out in years, such as sausage and vegetable hotpot. Downstairs is a teashop that really counts as a health food shop in its own right; they have managed to shoehorn in a diverse range of long-life products plus fresh vegetables and a chiller cabinet with vegan cheese. I bought a beautiful tea canister decorated with Japanese paper. I am already planning the return visit

Pros: Great food, lots for vegans, interesting building

Cons: Difficult stairs

Wonderful Tearoom - Edit

Gillam's is a lovely traditional tea room. Very friendly. It is vegetarian and mostly organic, with a good choice for vegans. The food is freshly prepared and delicious. The tea is fantastic. Good value for money. Very popular, so you may have to wait for a table at busy times - but this is worth doing.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Mostly organic, Delicious food

Return to Ulverston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gillam's Tea Room closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1610 times since Aug 2007.