Gertrude's at the BMA

Contact 410-889-3399

10 Art Museum Dr, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 21218

Serves meat, vegan options available. Upscale eatery inside the Baltimore Museum of Art. Vegan items clearly labeled on menu. Usually at least 5 or so entrees are vegan as well as at least one vegan dessert and a few vegan appetizers. Special occasion multi-course menus also have vegan choices for each course. Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-9:00pm, Sat 10:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, International, Beer/Wine, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by Miru

Good for a Special Occasion - Edit

The vegan zucchini crab cakes really are delicious, and previous reviewers are right, this is a great place for a special event when you are in a group with mixed diets. Our group had an omni but also vegans and vegetarians and we all enjoyed our food. The outdoor seating by the sculpture garden was also really relaxing. The service was a bit distant and the price was a bit on the expensive side, but overall a great restaurant for a special occasion with vegan and vegetarian options.

Vegan options are a little blah - Edit

I've been to Gertrude's a couple of times and gotten vegan appetizer, entree and dessert selections. I found the food underwhelming. I got a vegan sweet potato gratin which was underseasoned and too sweet. I also tried the house made vegan burrata style cheese. It was nothing like burrata, it was just a gritty scoop of plain cashew cheese. It didn't taste bad, but it didn't live up to its promise, either. The vegan desserts have generally been good, but the watermelon mojito sorbet was completely overpowered by peppermint extract. Another dish I got one time, a stuffed tomato, tasted like it had been sitting out for a while before they brought it to me.

This could still be a good place to go to with omnivore friends/loved ones as they do always have several labeled vegetarian/vegan options available, but also beloved menu options for meat/seafood eaters. They do have good booze, too.

Pros: Always has dedicated vegan options, Nice location, Good service

Cons: Food is hit and miss

Great vegan option for fine dining! - Edit

We wanted to go to a nice restaurant the night before our wedding and booked a reservation at Gertrude's. It's so hard to find any kind of vegan option at a fancy restaurant, but we were beyond pleasantly surprised with Gertrude's.

We got the vegan "crab cakes" made of zucchini. Let me tell you that these little zucchini cakes are packed with some major flavor, cooked and fried to perfection, and end up being a perfectly sized portion. What a great vegan option. Tons of their sides are vegan and they are happy to accommodate substitutions for specific dietary needs. There were a couple other vegan/vegetarian entree options as well.

They also offer 1-2 labeled vegan desserts. Yum... They have housemade sorbet (100% vegan except one of the flavors is made with honey). I definitely suggest getting the Almond Pear flavor! We also got the apple beignets. Out of this world amazing.

The wine selection is diverse and as a plus-- all wines on Wednesdays are half off!

The staff was lovely and we were so pleased with our server. She made our experience there-- was very knowledgeable of the menu, was happy to accommodate our specific dietary needs, and surprised us with a little congratulations note on our dessert plate. Gertrude's is lucky to have such an amazing staff that really just make your whole dining experience.

The atmosphere is equally as lovely... Great ambiance, nice chill music, lovely art, etc.. Makes for a very romantic, inviting, and relaxing vibe. There are renovations going on now, but nothing that can't be overlooked.

It's of course a little on the pricy side, but ordering all the vegan options makes it that more affordable and it didn't end up being too much. We loved it and would definitely recommend anyone trying this place out!

Pros: Vegan & vegetarian options, Vegan desserts, Great Staff

Cons: Renovations/contstruction, Needs more vegan starters, Little Pricey

Pleasantly Surprised - Edit

I didn't know this place had vegan options until the local Vegan Drinks group had an event here. I was pleasantly surprised by how awesome the vegan options were!

Food: 9. I had vegan soup, "crab cakes" (made with zucchini), and an apple dumpling with ice cream. All were delicious, especially the crab cakes and dumpling.

Price: 7. Its pricey enough to be a special occasion only restaurant for me but isn't terrible in regards to a nice restaurant.

Atmosphere: 8. We got to sit in the sculpture garden! Pretty and relaxing atmosphere in general.

Staff: 8. Nothing partucular to say about them.

Pros: Great Vegan Options, Good Atmosphere

Cons: Bit Pricey

Good choice for an upscale dinner - Edit

There's not a lot of options for a vegan in Baltimore for upscale dining. Gertrude's is one of the few where you can take a mixed vegan/non-vegan group and not feel like you have to pick from just a couple of side items and go hungry. You get good vegan entrees that are good sized and tasty. They have vegan crab cakes and a really good house-made vegan black bean burger as regular items along with about half a dozen other entree & appetizer choices. On the higher priced side but not outrageous. Good, classy setting at the art museum to boot.

Pros: Interesting dishes, Good food, Nice setting

Return to Baltimore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gertrude's at the BMA closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1457 times since Jan 2014.