Genmai Cafe

Cafe with all vegan food, except for a sample supplement packet containing shell-fish that comes with most meals (can be declined). Japanese macrobiotic lunch sets include brown rice balls, soup and veggies. They also serve curry, waffles, gluten-free cookies / cakes, and drinks (has soy). On the 2nd floor, upstairs from related Genki Shop, at 大阪府大阪市中央区南久南宝町3-6-9. Seats 36. Easy to find from Hommachi, go 1 block east of the station and turn south down the shopping street. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-6:00pm. Occasionally closes in the mid-afternoon for private events.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by lemurcat

Healthy vegetarian food in Shinsaibashi Osaka - Edit

Very nice cafe, we had the set meal but limited choices bec we don't eat onion/garlic. Considering hard to get vegetarian food, happy enough.

Pros: Easy to find location., Nice atmosphere.

Cons: Not many choices on no garlic , no onion variety.

Delicious lunch - Edit

Ate here a couple of weeks ago, came about 2pm and it was empty apart from me and another lady, had the onigiri and soup set and a slice of cake.

Loads of choice of different onigiri and I had the pumpkin soup which was great for a cold day!

I'm not quite up there with Japanese yet but they had an English menu and I communicated in the best of my Japanese ability. Staff were friendly, but really most important thing was the food was nice!

Lovely Veggie Oasis in Honmachi - Edit

Although less well known than other vegetarian / vegan cafes in Osaka, I've recently come to love this tranquil spot, nestled between Honmachi and Shinsaibashi on the Shinsaibashi suji covered shopping street. Although they don't display themselves as vegan, their menu is actually completely vegan EXCEPT for the supplement packets they give out with meals, which contain vitamins from shell fish. You can politely decline these and they will understand. I've asked several times and was told that they use kombu dashi rather than fish dashi in their soups.

I've eaten their vegetable curry with rice and salad, the 1,000 yen lunch set with onigiri and several deli items, their macrobiotic cookies, the gluten-free take away cakes, the sachertorte cake, the brown rice waffle, and a recent lunch special with soy meat balls. Their food is authentic Japanese macrobiotic cooking, simple but flavourful and really nice. The pricing is reasonable, and they have an English menu as well (although the staff don't really speak English). If you go right at lunch hour, expect it to be bustling, but throughout the afternoon it is always very quiet. They are open 12noon - 6pm, most days except national holidays.

My only big complaint is that they don't use real cups or mugs for most of the drinks, instead having paper cups for both water and hot beverages. I've had tea there twice now, and each time they even put a plastic lid on the cup even though it was to stay! This is both aesthetically unappealing, and so awful for the environment. They also used a miniature paper cup with a plastic lid for the waffle syrup on the side, and I don't understand why a small ceramic one couldn't be used instead.

Otherwise, I really enjoy this spot and would definitely recommend it!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-23

Pros: Yummy food, Reasonable price, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Paper & plastic cups!?, Non-vegan supplements, Not clearly advertised as vegan

not that happy - Edit

I found this café today by accident because I walked past it, and I had the curry with genmai rice and then cheese cake and coffee. The curry was good, but the amount of food was not enough for me to become full or for the price I paid. Same for the cake, it was tiny and not that delicous, and the coffee wasn't that good either ... they don't prepare the food fresh but take it from containers with the prepared food, so you can have the meal immediately after you ordered.

Veggie friendly 5 min walk from Shinsaibashi stn - Edit

Genmai cafe (ゲンマイカフェ) is a convenient casual cafe right in the heart of a main shopping arcade in Shinsaibashi. It's not a pure veggie restaurant but vegetarian friendly, a couple of staff are English spoken and prices are very reasonable. My husband bought the veggie curry that came with a small soup for 850 yen and I had a lunch set that consisted of two brown rice balls, miso soup, 2 servings of pickles and a drink for only 750 yen. Food was a little on the bland side but no real cause of a complaint. If you happen to be in the area and looking for a no fuss, fast and healthy lunch then this is a great pick. It's located in a busy shopping arcade in Shinsaibashi on the 2nd floor. Look for their health food shop located on a corner and their cafe is upstairs on the 2nd floor.

Pros: English menu, Value for money , Healthy cafe serving brown rice

Cons: Food may be a little bland for some

Mellow vibe and good set menu - Edit

We enjoyed this cafe for lunch. Great vegan options with a couple very clearly labelled fish dishes. Really good minestrone soup and rice balls. Try the hot soy ginger drink - so delicious. Very relaxed and low key vibe.

Pros: Low key vibe, Ginger tea!!, Simple and good menu

Cons: Not a lot of english spoken

yummy brown rice! - Edit

I came across it by chance and went in for lunch one day. I had the Japanese curry with brown rice. I happened to be in the area again the next day, and because I liked it enough I went back for another lunch. This time I had some soup, a brown rice ball (triangle) with crushed sesame seeds on the side of it, and tea. They have several varieties of the brown rice triangles. I then also got two more brown rice triangles to go!

They do have an English menu, so if they don't offer it, ask for it. Items containing fish are marked accordingly.

From Honmachi Stn take Exit 12. Once at street level go right to the covered shopping arcade, and again right into the arcade. It's about a block or so down the arcade, on the right, at an intersection.

nice and yummy - Edit

We went to Genmai Cafe to have lunch. The location is perfect, directly on Shinsaibashisuji (the number 1 shopping street). They had a menu in English but the girl who was working on the counter didn't speak a word English (I speak (not fluently) Japanese, so it was okay).
I had the curry (japanese curry of course, not to confuse with indian curry!) and I got soup with it. both was delicious and filling!
everything is organic and the portion was totally fine, too! the atmosphere was nice too :)

Pros: yummy food, portions okay, English menu

Cons: not many options

Stop by if you're in the area - Edit

But I wouldn't make a special trip. The food that contains fish is labeled on the English menu but not the Japanese menu. Avoid the supplement packs because they contain calcium from shellfish. Various types of rice balls, curry, cake, pudding.

Pros: nice atmosphere, easy to find, plenty of vegan options

Cons: supplements contain shellfish, Japanese menu not labeled for fish

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Genmai Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.