Genmai Cafe

• Veg-friendly

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fish is labeled. Mostly vegetarian food cafe on the 2nd floor, upstairs from its store, Genki Shop. Offers different types of rice balls, plus waffles, pudding, cake, drinks (has soy). Seats 36. Note that the little Hi-Genki supplements provided with most meals contain calcium derived from shellfish. Easy to find from Hommachi, just go 1 block east of the station and turn south down the shopping street. Address is 大阪府大阪市中央区南久南宝町3-6-9.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by lemurcat

Lovely Veggie Spot! - Edit

I love this quiet oasis in the Honmachi / Shinsaibashi area of Osaka. Although they don't display themselves as vegan, their menu is actually completely vegan except for the supplement packets they give out with meals (you can politely decline them). I've tried their vegetable curry with rice and salad, a lunch plate with several deli items, the macrobiotic take-away cookies, the gluten-free chocolate cake, the brown rice waffle, and a recent lunch special with soy meat balls. Everything is always tasty, and I personally like that the food is served up immediately (someone commented that this made it less fresh - I think it's fine for what they're doing). I've also always felt that the amount of food was reasonable for the price. They have an English menu which is helpful. The atmosphere is always quiet and calm, but not usually lonely. I like sitting at the window and people watching the street down below.
My only big complaint is that they don't use real cups or mugs for any of the drinks, but instead have paper cups for both water and hot beverages. I've had tea there twice now, and each time they even put a plastic lid on the cup! They simply don't offer another option. I find this both aesthetically unappealing, and appalling for the environment. They also used a miniature paper cup with a plastic lid for the waffle syrup on the side, and I don't understand why a small ceramic one couldn't be used instead. Otherwise, I really enjoy this place for a quiet, simple, re-fuel spot.

Pros: Yummy food, Reasonable price, Nice staff, quiet atmosphere

Cons: Paper & plastic cups!?, Non-vegan supplements, Not clearly advertised as vegan

not that happy - Edit

I found this café today by accident because I walked past it, and I had the curry with genmai rice and then cheese cake and coffee. The curry was good, but the amount of food was not enough for me to become full or for the price I paid. Same for the cake, it was tiny and not that delicous, and the coffee wasn't that good either ... they don't prepare the food fresh but take it from containers with the prepared food, so you can have the meal immediately after you ordered.

Veggie friendly 5 min walk from Shinsaibashi stn - Edit

Genmai cafe (ゲンマイカフェ) is a convenient casual cafe right in the heart of a main shopping arcade in Shinsaibashi. It's not a pure veggie restaurant but vegetarian friendly, a couple of staff are English spoken and prices are very reasonable. My husband bought the veggie curry that came with a small soup for 850 yen and I had a lunch set that consisted of two brown rice balls, miso soup, 2 servings of pickles and a drink for only 750 yen. Food was a little on the bland side but no real cause of a complaint. If you happen to be in the area and looking for a no fuss, fast and healthy lunch then this is a great pick. It's located in a busy shopping arcade in Shinsaibashi on the 2nd floor. Look for their health food shop located on a corner and their cafe is upstairs on the 2nd floor.

Pros: English menu, Value for money , Healthy cafe serving brown rice

Cons: Food may be a little bland for some

Mellow vibe and good set menu - Edit

We enjoyed this cafe for lunch. Great vegan options with a couple very clearly labelled fish dishes. Really good minestrone soup and rice balls. Try the hot soy ginger drink - so delicious. Very relaxed and low key vibe.

Pros: Low key vibe, Ginger tea!!, Simple and good menu

Cons: Not a lot of english spoken

yummy brown rice! - Edit

I came across it by chance and went in for lunch one day. I had the Japanese curry with brown rice. I happened to be in the area again the next day, and because I liked it enough I went back for another lunch. This time I had some soup, a brown rice ball (triangle) with crushed sesame seeds on the side of it, and tea. They have several varieties of the brown rice triangles. I then also got two more brown rice triangles to go!

They do have an English menu, so if they don't offer it, ask for it. Items containing fish are marked accordingly.

From Honmachi Stn take Exit 12. Once at street level go right to the covered shopping arcade, and again right into the arcade. It's about a block or so down the arcade, on the right, at an intersection.

nice and yummy - Edit

We went to Genmai Cafe to have lunch. The location is perfect, directly on Shinsaibashisuji (the number 1 shopping street). They had a menu in English but the girl who was working on the counter didn't speak a word English (I speak (not fluently) Japanese, so it was okay).
I had the curry (japanese curry of course, not to confuse with indian curry!) and I got soup with it. both was delicious and filling!
everything is organic and the portion was totally fine, too! the atmosphere was nice too :)

Pros: yummy food, portions okay, English menu

Cons: not many options

Stop by if you're in the area - Edit

But I wouldn't make a special trip. The food that contains fish is labeled on the English menu but not the Japanese menu. Avoid the supplement packs because they contain calcium from shellfish. Various types of rice balls, curry, cake, pudding.

Pros: nice atmosphere, easy to find, plenty of vegan options

Cons: supplements contain shellfish, Japanese menu not labeled for fish

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Genmai Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2462 times since Oct 2012.