First Review by Kryx

Awesome ice cream parlour that caters to vegans! * NOT ANY MORE!! - Edit

EDIT: Really disappointed to say that Gelateria Mera Viglia no longer sell vegan ice cream. Be warned, they still had labels stating vegan on some of their ice creams, but when I enquired, about them, I was informed they no longer sold vegan ice cream. What a shame, as their vegan ice cream was amazing! Really hope they put in back on the menu.

****************

I live in Nice and had no idea this place catered to vegans until a friend told me! The ice cream parlour is on one of the main pedestrian roads in Nice (on the same road as Lush!) and has outdoor seating. It's really clean and modern.

Inside the gelateria are signs saying 'Vegan OK!'. When we went, there were six flavours which were vegan: hazelnut, pistachio, chocolate, strawberry, raspberry and coconut. I had the hazelnut and pistachio which were really delicious!

The ice cream is made with olive oil. It sounds weird but tastes really creamy and nice!

I think it's awesome that vegans are finally being catered to in France! Hopefully places like this will make it more normal and convince other establishments to offer vegan options too! So please support this place and show the demand for vegan products! :)

Updated from previous review on 2014-06-24

Cons: No longer vegan!

Wonderful discovery! - Edit

My friend saw their sign advertising vegan ice cream and took me to this place. A small location in the Old Town. If I recall correctly, there were 6 vegan flavours. I had the choco and hazelnut - so good. Good service. So glad this exists! They also have coffee and other drinks.

Pros: location, variety of flavours, good and friendly service

Most delicious ice cream! - Edit

I was really excited when I read about this - ice cream made with olive oil! So I tried it and I absolutely loved it!

The ice cream parlour is located on Rue Massena, just a short stroll form Place Massena and the Boulevard des Anglais, so it's a very good location.
As explained in the previous reviews, there are six vegan flavours. When I visited, they were raspberry, mango, chocolate, hazelnut, pistacchio and strawberry. I had the chocolate, hazelnut and pistacchio and loved all of them, although I agree with the previous poster: The pastacchio was even better than the others!
I paid 5€ which I think was ok because the portions were quite big and the location is so good.
The only thing I didn't like was that inside, the music was so loud that I could hardly understand the waitress. Service could have been a littler friendlier, too.
Howeve, if you like ice cream and are visiting Nice, I think this is a must try!

Pros: Delicious vegan ice cream, Not your average sorbet fruit flavours, Convenient location

Cons: Service could be friendlier, Not a lot of seating

Pistacho is amazing - Edit

They typically have 6 vegan options. They had raspberry, mango, hazelnut, chocolate, banana, and pistachio.

The raspberry is just a normal level of good. The banana tasted quite good, but the best by far was the pistachio.

English was hit or miss depending on server.

Pros: pistachio, vegan, organic

Cons: a bit pricey

Return to Nice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gelateria Mera Viglia closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2374 times since May 2014.