First Review by Blueberries

Pompous and full of themselves. - Edit

While their ice cream (vegan, 4 flavours) would deserve bragging rights, it certainly does not allow anyone to treat their customers as poorly as my husband and I were treated. Their arrogance ruined the experience and any appreciation for their overpriced ice cream.

Cons: The worst service I've ever experience in my life., Overpriced.

Eine Sorte Veganes Eis - Edit

Ich war dort und war sehr enttäuscht. Kann die guten Bewertungen nicht verstehen und auch nicht die Beschreibung der Eisdiele. Es gab nicht mehrere Vegane Sorten sondern eine einzige Sorte und zwar " dunkle Schokolade". Die hat ja wirklich mittlerweile jede Eisdiele und die ist auf Wasserbasis und nicht besonders Cremig. Da hatten alle anderen Läden mehr Auswahl.

Super creamy vegan gelato - Edit

I've been vegan 25 years and had nothing that comes close to the vegan ice creams here, they're amazingly creamy, smooth and delicious. They're super friendly and speak English well, and will happily show you which ice creams are vegan (they're labelled too as vegan). The large cone is vegan too (3 scoops for 5 euros). Don't go for the fruit sorbets, go for the coconut ice cream and the super rich dark chocolate (like soft serve whippy dark chocolate). It's open until late into the evening.

Pros: fantastic, creamy ice cream

Friendly and tasty - Edit

We had ice cream here after dinner. We were met with friendly service and a nice selection of vegan options. Server gave my gf an extra flavour with no extra charge and was very friendly! She helpfully pointed out that the ice cream cones were not vegan. Quite cheap compared to other ice cream places around the city too!

Pros: Prices, Central location, Many vegan options

Just awesome - Edit

I went there and asked for vegan ice cream and the waitress let me taste some flavours. Well, I never thought that avocado ice-cream would taste so good! I ended up eating coconut (made with coconut milk) and chocolate (made with rice milk) and loved it!! Absolutely fabulous ;)

I think most of the fruit flavored ice creams are vegan.

Pros: Location, Flavor

wide range of excellent vegan ice-cream flavours! - Edit

I love Gelati di Marco because I can choose from a great range of high quality, natural ingredient based, vegan ice-cream! almost all the fruit ice-cream flavours -including avocado, YUM-! are vegan, and they also have an AWESOME dark chocolate vegan choice and other rice-based and soy-based flavors which are also good.

Excellent - Edit

The ice cream here is truly excellent and worth the trip. There are four ice cream flavours and several sorbet flavours. I tried the chocolate and the cinnamon ice cream. Both were fabulous. The mojito and banana sorbets were excellent too. Service was fine. It gets busy here, but I have no idea what the previous reviewer is going on about. Don't miss this place.

Their service ruined my experience - Edit

It's so bad that one place that they put so much effort into their ice cream presentation gets ruined by the rudeness of their service. As much as I like an ice cream with non regular milk I am not willing to go through such treatment again. It's not worth it.

Pros: 3 vegan flavors, Presentation

Cons: Price, Treatment

delicious - Edit

The ice cream is great. I had a little cup with only vegan chocolate ice cream. Don't think I've ever tasted anything so good.
But you'd better be there early. If you want the vegan chocolate ice cream as dessert at night they've probably run out of it.

Pros: delicious vegan ice cream

Cons: they run out of vegan chocolate ice cream really f

excellent vegan ice cream - Edit

Actually there are only a few flavours that are vegans, but it's definitely worth : there is a plain rice one, a chocolate rice one, a cinnamon soja one, and several fruit flavours. I recommend a rice + strawberry mix, really amazing.

Went here daily for vegan ice cream - Edit

During the 4 days I spent in Barcelona, I went here every day.

They have a gluten-free cone that is vegan, or you can get your ice cream in a cup.

All of the fruit flavors are vegan, plus several other flavors. Ask the employees - they can point you to the vegan flavors of the day.

Best recommendation: cinnamon ice cream or pineapple-passion fruit gelato.

And it's cheap! This place is great.

Pros: Vegan ice cream

so good... - Edit

there had been some time since I had had an ice cream. we were attracted to the shop when we saw a a sign saying they had vegan options while strolling around Barcelona. the girl that helped us was really friendly and even gave us several flavours to taste. we went for fruit sorbets and they were delicious and full of taste. we would love to have a parlour like this back where we live, we would go there all the time.

Best vegan ice cream I've had! - Edit

Fantastic flavours including licorice, banana and my favourite - mojito (the mint is amazing!). Really helpful and friendly staff too. Check it out and buy some for your non-vegan friends!

Pros: Range, Real ingredients, Flavour!

Cons: A little pricey

YUM - Edit

It's so exciting to find places with vegan ice cream!
I stumbled on this place accidentally on a stroll around town.
They had three vegan flavours of icecream (I didn't enquire about the sorbets)- cinnamon with a soy base, chocolate with a rice milk base and plain rice milk flavour.
I took the two rice flavours and holy hell, the chocolate one was dark and intense and super awesome.
I went back the next afternoon for more!
They also have cones which are gluten free, dairy free and egg free. You have to ask specially for these and they cost 50c more. They are pretty delicious. I didn't ask if the regular cones contain dairy or egg because my Spainish is not so crash hot, so I stuck with the gf one to be safe.

Vegan Ice Cream......Mmmmmmmm - Edit

A traditional genuine Italian ice cream parlour serving an amazing and well presented range of dairy ice creams as well as a selection of delicious rice and soya ice creams. This is a very professional and impressive place. The small tubs cost €2.70, medium €3.70 and €4.70 for large.. You pay for the real deal here and not some fake Italian mass produced Mr Whippy rubbish. On the day of our visit on 2 January 2013 the three vegan flavours were chocolate and vanilla rice ice-cream and a liquorice soya ice-cream. All three were very good with the chocolate being the stand-out choice. You could see ice-cream being made in the back of the shop from pure fresh and natural ingredients.

Pros: Vegan ice cream, Authentic

if you're craving for some ice cream - Edit

All fruit based ice creams are dairy free; they also have some rice milk based flavors. Ice cream is kinda expensive, not excellent but good.
Some people of the staff speak italian.

Pros: friendly staff, nice location

Cons: expensive

Soy and Rice Gelato - Edit

A great find. On the day we were there, they had chocolate and vanilla rice milk gelato, and pistachio soy gelato. Everything clearly marked, with signage promoting the soy and rice options. A short walk from Placa Reial.

Delicious ice-cream and sorbets! - Edit

While they mainly offer dairy based ice-cream they also offer fruit sorbets (e.g. mango, avocado, lemon), rice milk and soya milk ice creams (vanilla, chocolate, coffee). The staff were very friendly and knew exactly what to offer us when I asked for some vegan ice-cream. Before I could decide on which ice-cream to buy we were given tasters of each vegan ice-cream/sorbet in order to aid our decision making process - delicious! I would have been even happier if the vegan ice-creams were kept separate from the other ones, rather than all at the same counter, but I suppose that's asking too much!

Pros: Delicious vegan ice-cream, and sorbets!

VEGAN ICE CREAM - Edit

One of the things that sing 'holiday' are ice cream! And unfortunately the majority of ice cream is made from cows milk (sad trombone). BUT in Barcelona you can eat as much rice milk/soy milk ice cream as you want at Gelaati! What an amazing find and I am so grateful to those who recommended this place. All ice cream is made in house from natural ingredients, and everyday they make various vegan ice creams. While I was there I sampled vanilla and chocolate but liquorice was also available. Gorgeous! I recommend however visiting when there isn't a large queue outside/inside as the servers are a lot more helpful when they are not bombarded with orders! For example I got vanilla, when the server asked if I didn't eat dairy and I explained I was vegan he suggested adding fruit if there was more time on his hands.

More reviews and suggestions for Barcelona - www.rebeccahawkesdiary.wordpress.com

Pros: Vegan ice cream, Natural ingredients, Delicious

Cons: Not many options on flavours, Busy

OMG Vegan Ice Cream - Edit

I was very excited to go here and feel like a normal person with an actual choice of vegan ice cream (plain, choc and liquorice) and a number of sorbets. Was with two non vegans also so was very nice to all be able to get something from the same place. I have been vegan for over 20 years now and this is the first time i have been able to get vegan ice cream on hols to eat on the street. Also the ice cream and sorbets were very tasty.

Pros: Central Location, Choice, Helpful Staff

Cons: Busy at times

Delicious! - Edit

Gelaati is a dream come true. The staff were really helpful and the two vegan ice creams available that day were clearly marked: one was soy coffee and the other chocolate made with rice milk. The chocolate was seriously the best I've ever tried, even in my pre-vegan times. I had it together with the raspberry sorbet and it was simply excellent. Fantastic for the hot Barcelona summer!

Gelaaati - Edit

There were three vegan flavours of ice-cream avaliable when I went, coffee and hazelnut, which were soya and a chocolate rice ice-cream. There's also a good selection of sorbet, but I was there for the ice-cream! The staff have good English if you don't speak Spanish or Catalan and have any questions for them. As I was ordering I was asked if I was allergic to dairy, and if I was, to what degree. I suppose they have to cover themselves and warn you that cross-contamination may occur but they caught me off-guard with the question and it got me a bit worried, but I was reassured that the dairy-free stuff is vegan-friendly. :D
They just warn you that if you're severly allergic to dairy products to go for the sorbets as they aren't kept as near to the dairy and there's less chance of cross-contamination.
Also it's really near the centre of town, once you know where you're going it's easy to find. It even has a sign saying 'vegan' outside the door!

Pros: Delicious ice cream!, Friendly, knowlegable staff, Free samples of sorbet

Cons: Less choice of non-dairy than dairy

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gelaaati di Marco closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4569 times since Jul 2010.