Gaylord's at Kilohana

Contact 808-245-9593

3-2087 Kaumualii Hwy (at Historic Kilohana Plantation, Kauai), Lihue, Hawaii, USA, 96766

Serves meat, vegan options available. Farm-to-table dining using local produce and ingredients. While primarily fish and meat-based, has a few veg/vegan choices - ask. Previously named 22 North. Please confirm if the vegan options are good enough to keep this listing on HappyCow. Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-2:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by veganmiss

Terrible experience - Edit

My newly wedded vegetarian husband and I, a vegan, having our honeymoon in Poipu in Kauai, read the other comment (which was two years old) and were really excited to try this place out due to the acclaimed accommodating nature of this mostly meaty restaurant. We dressed in our best and made up our faces for a fancy night out.

While the atmosphere is beautiful and rustic, the service we received was absolutely deplorable. We sat down and looked at the menu. Only one thing was even vegetarian. When our waiter came by, I told him I read great reviews about how accommodating to vegetarians and vegans the place was and was nothing but smiles with this guy.

Not only was he condescending and passive aggressive, he didn't even bother to find a solution. At first he didn't know what to say and instead of saying "I'll go speak with a chef or manager" and trying to find a solution, he threw out the options of salad and pasta. I didn't expect to be given the same thing as the last review (roasted macadamia nuts and stuffed tomato) but I at least expected the server to ATTEMPT a solution.

After he left, my husband and I spoke more and decided to leave due to the lack of options and his attitude. When we told him we didn't feel there was enough on the menu (again, being polite) he simply continued with his passive aggressiveness, "apologized" and left.

I called the manager about 35 minutes (or so) later to complain. He apologized to me and said he would address his staff.

I've worked in a restaurant before and you do NOT treat any guest like that. If you don't know the answer to a question, you seek out solutions first and try to be as accommodating as possible. Not to mention, POLITE.

Save yourself the headache of being treated like nothing at this place. I hope to never have this experience again.

Pros: Beautiful scenary

Cons: Terrible, rude service

Fresh Ingredients - Edit

A classic plantation in Kaua'i is Kilohana. It is a must see for its rustic beauty. The restaurant at the plantation used to be called Gaylord's but in the last year and a half they have changed it to 22 North. They pride themselves on farm raised food and local vegetables. Their menu changes from week to week. 22 North was very accommodating to vegetarians and vegans. I had herb roasted macadamia nuts, the estate salad (garden salad), a couscous stuffed tomato with crispy kale and zucchini, and ended it all with coconut sorbet. The restaurant is located facing out over the plantation with a lovely Hawaiian atmosphere.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/09/vegan-kauai-hawaii-part-two.html

Pros: fresh ingredients, organic produce, vegan friendly

Return to Lihue Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gaylord's at Kilohana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1307 times since Dec 2011.