Gatherings

2 Papanui Rd, Christchurch, New Zealand, 8013

Contemporary vegetarian food and natural wine bar. Serving snacks and multi-course tasting menu in a casual atmosphere. Open Wed-Sat 12:00pm-2:00pm, 4:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by Yolanda

Epic concept & finish - Edit

This is a prime example of a venue which cares for their product more than anything else. Primarily local ingredients, dynamic menu and genuine talent on show with the degistation. I was blown away at their environmental and social responsibility as well as the flavours being produced. Outstanding. If I owned a restaurant I would do it like this. Ka pai

Pros: Local ingredients, Diverse drink menu, Unique

Takes soup and toast to a whole new level - Edit

Gatherings is Christchurch’s newest vegetarian eatery. When I first looked at their lunch menu I was not excited as it seemed to be just soup and toast. How wrong I was. It is soup and toast, but on a whole new level.

The soup was hazelnut and pumpkin and had a centre of apple puree, served with homemade toasted bread and whipped hazelnut butter. I think it may have been the best soup I have ever had. The flavours were sophisticated – you could taste the ingredients but they had come together in the most perfect way. The apple puree centre was a surprise but worked beautifully. I loved the side of toast and nut butter. It was a perfect dish.

Despite it being so filling, I managed to eat the toasts that I had ordered before I knew how filling the soup was going to be. I’m glad I did get to try them though. The first toast was served with a carrot puree and roasted carrot slices. Very delicious. But the second toast was my favourite. It had sauerkraut and shitake mushrooms. The combination of textures and flavours greatly appealed to my palate. I loved it.

The setting is informal, modern and done with great taste. The location is excellent being so close to the city and also the park. It was no problem finding street parking and there is a bus stop very close by. Hats off also to our waiter who was friendly, knew the menu and actually addressed me for the order rather than my male companion. (Often waiters approach the man not the woman so that was a nice change.)

We were told most of the lunch menu was vegan (they had coconut yogurt for the jam and yogurt toast) but it would be best to give notice if coming for an evening meal so they can ensure vegan options for each course.

Gatherings is also a bar serving natural wines and beers plus it has a set evening menu costing $60 pp. Like the lunch menu, it is seasonal, changes frequently and takes food to the next level. I’m already saving up to try it!

Pros: amazing food, local seasonal fare, good for vegans

Return to Christchurch Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gatherings closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.