First Review by Amaya

está bien - Edit

Es un restaurante Vegetariano con opción vegana en cada plato.
La comida está deliciosa, es abundante y tiene muchos platos y variados.
El dueño es un amor, aunque el servicio un poco áspero.

Pros: delicioso y variado

Cons: fines de semana y fest. sube el precio

Tasty, quick and well-priced - Edit

I went to Garibolo together with a non-vegetarian colleague while in Bilbao for a conference, and we were both pleasantly surprised.

The restaurant offers either a la carte eating or a four course menu, the latter of which is very well priced: we paid 22.5 euros per person for a large salad, soup, main course and dessert, with bread and water included.

The food was served very promptly, we did not have to wait longer than a few minutes between courses. The quality of the food was quite good: the salad had a lovely dressing and some nicely roasted eggplant, the soup was a nicely creamy gazpacho, the main dishes were hearty but not too oily, and the desserts were very tasty.

All in all a very good experience!

Pros: very quick service, very sharp price

Vegetarian Gem - Edit

My family vacationed in Bilbao in July 2011 and loved discovering this vegetarian gem. Garibolo is huge and the dining room is split into two rooms; we ate in the adjoining room where there was lots of space which made it great for families with children. The restaurant offers a daily menu (as do many restaurants in Spain), though for each course there were several options. The entrees were outstanding and the desserts were divine. We loved the food here so much that we returned two days later and got to experience a different though equally delicious menu. Vegetarian options are limited in Bilbao, so after taking a tour of Guggenheim Bilbao stop by Garibolo to experience more beauty.

Pros: Delicious Food, Atmosphere, Desserts

Cons: Slightly Expensive

Vegan And Vegetarian Menu - Edit

Good menu, quantity and quality for equal. Increadibly nice stuff, helping and always with a smile. A bit expensive compared to other restaurants around but worths visiting. Will come back for more.

Pros: Variety, Fresh Ingredients

Cons: Prize

Not to be missed if you're in Bilbao - Edit

Nice vegetarian restaurant with plenty vegan options, which in any case you'll have to confirm with the friendly staff. They have a daily 4 course menu with 2/3 options each, both for lunch and dinner (which honestly I think sometimes is too much food). It can get a bit packed at lunch so I'd recommend to go early. Price is fair for lunch but high for dinners.

Pros: Good lunch menu, Friendly helpful staff

Cons: Can't order à la carte, Expensive dinner menu

Absolutely Fantastic! Prepare to be stuffed full! - Edit

I went to the Garibolo for the second time just two weeks ago and I found it just as incredible as the first time I visited a few years ago. The selection is great and so is the service (even when it's busy. I love the atmosphere of this restaurant!

I'd recommend going on a normal week-day because the price is lowest (€13,50) and trying to avoid going on a día festivo when the menu price shoots up to €18,50.

Check out my review of this incredible restaurant:

Pros: Huge Selection, Vegan options indicated, Good atmoshere

Cons: Pricy on holidays

Me ha encantado!! - Edit

Tienen un menù del día muy variado con opciones veganas tambièn. Yo he comido:

- sumo de manzana
- sopa de verduras
- albondigas de verduras con salsa de tomate
- pastel de zanahoria coco y chocolate
mas pan y agua por tan solo 13,50 euro y todo estaba buenisimo!! El trato del personal muy atento y amable, lo recomiendo!!!

Very few vegan options - Edit

Maybe is a good place to eat for a vegetarian but I think it is not so for a vegan. They use dairy and egg almost for all dishes. Price is expensive. The owner is very likeable but that´s not enough when you want to eat good. They could veganize some of their dishes and things would change.

Cons: expensive, very few vegan options

Garibolo - Edit

The price its about 12 euros, but the food its not very good.
At first i was suprised how many people were there, the restaurant was full.
The food was not that good.

If you want a place to eat in Bilbao and you like sushi, i highly recommend La Camelia! And its Vegan!

Average food but probably a good choice if vegan - Edit

We had the set lunch here on the weekend. No English spoken so we just guessed and order a few courses. Bread was nice but not impressed with the rest of the food. Starter was salad and had a mostly mayo dressing. Veg soup was just veg plain veg soup and my partners soup, which we think was carrot was very plain. I had a main of an egg and spinach roulade kind of thing which was quite nice. My partner had a stuffed aubergine which was ok, the aubergine wasn't cooked quite enough though. Vegan items marked on menu so I can understand going here if you are vegan as it is quite difficult in Bilbao otherwise. If you are veggie you would be better served trying to go to a pinxos place. We went to Kuku soak which I've reviewed on here which has good and tasty veggie options clearly labelled and an English menu.

Pros: Vegan options

Cons: Bland, Uninspiring

Menu del dia - Edit

It was a good menu del dia. We did not know what we ordered because it was all in Spanish and no one could tell us what is was in English. Despite of that, the food was good. It is a bit more expensive than others restaurants but still not very expensive.

Pros: Nice food

Cons: Non English spoken

Acceptable option for vegetarians, slightly expen - Edit

My travelling companion and I stopped at Garibolo for lunch on a Friday afternoon in late August. The place was busy but we managed to get a table. The menu was a 'set lunch menu' in Spanish. We both enjoyed the salad, soup starters. My main was a spinach and potato dish which looked warm and inviting but was surprisingly bland. Dessert was good. Overall the food was okay but not top notch- a bit too bland for my taste, possibly reflects the Basque palette. Inspite of this, for a city with limited veggie/ vegan options this place is a boon.

Pros: Interesting range on menu, Friendly staff, Easy to walk to from central Bilbao

Cons: A bit expensive, Main was slightly bland for us

Good Honest Grub - Edit

I come here pretty much every time I'm in Bilbao for a good menú del día. Always has vegan options marked on the menu, which is in Spanish only.
Can get busy / full later in the service, I've had to queue on Saturdays.
Not a great dessert choice for vegans, considering how easy it is to make a vegan brownie or similar.

Great Choice For Lumch - Edit

In a city with limited vegan options, this place shines. It is lunch only and the standard three course meal options. Food was great, they packed up the extra and there were a couple of vegan options for each course. The gazpacho is fantastic.

Pros: Healthy, Tasty, Good Value

fills your tummy - Edit

A set lunch menu that includes water, bread and a starter, main and dessert. The food was well balanced and healthy but not so tasty. The staff also seemed a little overworked.

Pros: healthy food

Cons: a bit expensive for what you get

Looked promising but wasn't - Edit

At first sight the restaurant looked promising. There was a nice atmosphere and there were a lot of people dining.
The menu consisted of a salad (2 options), followed by a soup (2 options), a main dish (6 options) and a dessert (lots of options).
What I liked about it was that there were enough options and it was stated clearely which dishes were vegan. Also it is a very reasonable price, 12 euro for the whole menu, incl. water.
What I really did not like was that the food was flavourless. I craved for some spices and so did the rest of my dining companions. Although the service was really fast, our waitress was very unfriendly and couldn't care less that we only understood half of the menu. One dessert said fruits of the season, which I ordered and got as a reply the question which fruit I liked. When I said kiwi, I got a kiwi with a knife. I expected a little fruit salad, I could've bought a kiwi myself in the store. The rest of the desserts were fine though.

I will not go back to this restaurant next time I'm in Bilbao and I wouldn't recommend it.

Pros: Fast service, Cheap

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Tasteless food

Espectacularo - Edit

I've eaten here twice & the food & service are both great. The set menu, costing around 12 Euros for 4 courses including water includes a starter, soup, main & dessert. Offers both vegan & veggie options. Don't worry if you don't speak much Spanish (or Basque) All you need is a phrase book and an appetite. What's great is that the restaurant doesn't seem to be frequented by just veggies/vegans it attracts people from all walks of life & all numbers from single to groups. It's open daily from 12:30 to 16:00 (not sure about Sundays) & it gets busy (always a good sign).

Pros: Value, Range of customers, Friendly service

Cons: Only open at lunchtimes

Surprise - Edit

We walked around Bilbao looking for good vegetarian food. We were not disappointed with the fare in this restaurant. Although they speak little English, we were able to order and enjoy a great meal. I would definitely recommend stopping here if you are in this City.

expected more from this veg restaurant - Edit

first of all, this vegetarian restaurant uses a lot of egg and dairy. vegans should be very careful and communicate clearly with their waitress and the kitchen. for example, my salad starter came with chunks of egg whites. then again, when i explained that i didn't eat egg they were able to give me a different, egg-free salad, which was good. but! that salad featured canned peaches and pineapple. i was not impressed. for the second course, i chose the garlic soup (the only vegan option), which was probably the best dish i had there. pretty heavy, as is typical for basque/spanish cuisine, but tasty. my 'main' consisted of overcooked string beans (possibly canned or frozen) served over a potato puree. again, very heavy food and not very inspired. the only vegan dessert they had was fresh strawberries in orange juice. on a whole, i was not very impressed and probably would not go back, but then again it's pretty much the only veg gig open for lunch on the weekends in bilbao. this doesn't leave the traveling vegan with much choice. this may also explain why the place was packed, even though the food is so mediocre.

Pros: nourishment for hungry vegans, sopa de ajo is good, not expensive

Cons: not geared for vegans, some fruit and veg is canned, heavy cuisine

vegetarian restaurant with vegan options - Edit

I compare this garibolo to "restaurante vegetariano" (http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=1123) because they are located in the same area (5min to walk from one to the other) and pretty alike.

THE MENU:
just like any typical spanish restaurant they have a multi course dinner:
first dish: salad
second dish: soup
third dish: main
fourth dish: dessert
every course had one vegan option (which is very good compared to other typical restaurants in bilbao). "restaurante vegetariano" has more options for vegans, but I was happy with what I get @ garibolo so no complain...
I enjoyed all of the food (especially the dessert which was strawberries with chocolate sauce). it's nothing special, but pretty good vegan food, in a city with very very few options for vegans...

THE AMBIANCE:
It's a small but nice and cozy place. it's even smaller that "restaurante vegetariano" but this is nothing negative.
the restaurant was well-attended, and like in all spanish restaurants, there is a lot of vibrant talking :).

THE SERVICE:
our waitress didn't complain that she had to check constantly if there was any butter, cream, etc. in the food.

PRICE:
the whole menu (drinks and bread are always included) costs 12,5€ each. this is standard in bilbao.
you have to pay @ the front desk. tip is not obligated (or very few compared to germany).

CONCLUSION:
nothing special but very nice restaurant.
you can also have a good lunch with non-vegan friends there.

Pros: vegan options, nice atmosphere

A Vegan Delight - Edit

The service can be slow. It is extremely busy at 'comida' time, between 1 and 3 p.m. My daughter-in-law took us there and I have enjoyed the courses. There are 4 courses and you choose from the menu of the day. I found there was plenty to eat with 3 or 4 courses. I hope it is still open. I will be visiting in May. I don't know if the hours have changed. It was a cash only restaurant when I was there last. I have not ever been disappointed.

Pros: excellent food nicely presented, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

Cons: noisy, depending when you go

Update - Edit

Was there in January 2010 - enjoyed meal and a chat with owner. Lunch menu at 12 euros - evening at 25 euros. Good choice of dishes and ok portions. Thursday evening is open in the evening - they have a dinner colloquio on a topic: Happiness "Felicidad".

Pros: well located, good value, friendly staff

Return to Bilbao Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Garibolo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.