Garden Grille Cafe

Contact 401-726-2826

727 East Ave, Pawtucket, Rhode Island, USA, 02860

Vegetarian cafe providing food with world influences. Has Sunday brunch. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-3:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, International, Juice bar

First Review by will-travel-for-food

Great food - Edit

I come here nearly weekly with my boyfriend for dinner or brunch. I think the food is great, and the menu changes seasonally to add some new things and take out old ones. Sometimes there's a bit of a wait, but you can go wait in the bakery next door and get 1 free coffee (per table).

For dinner, my good old stand by is the vegan quesadilla, but lately I've enjoyed the Udon noodle bowl even more. The risotto cauliflower cakes are also good as an appetizer.

Nothing beats the Biscuits and Gravy for brunch.

Sometimes I order dessert, but most often I like to take a walk over to the vegan bakery next door and get something sweet.

I've never been disappointed in a meal here. Once they screwed up and put goat cheese instead of vegan cheese in an item and they MORE than made up for it and were so apologetic. I wish they didn't serve animal products at all, but it's one of the best options in the area.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-16

Pros: excellent food, great staff, biscuits and gravy

Cons: animal products, busy

too bad - Edit

This place has good food...and that's about it. anytime i make it down to Providence area I have tried to stop in...and everytime I noticed it was mostly new people working there, and no servers were ever very personable or caring. Since its a small place they will also try to turn over tables as much as possible...so its not really a place you feel you can "go out" to and enjoy dinner with your partner or friends. Always felt rushed. I tend to keep going back to places thinking they will redeem themselves....

Fast forward a couple years and through the grapevine I find out that this place really has no respect for their employees (maybe this is why they all get rude and jaded, or why there is a large turnover for employees) and that their owner (who also owns Grange and Wildflour) isnt even veg himself, nor does he particularly care about it. Just wants to make $$$$ as he knows veg patrons will travel far and wide for good food.

I will be taking my patronage elsewhere to places that appreciate it and make you feel welcomed. I hope anyone reading realizes that there are many places opening up in the Providence area that would be a much better experience!

Pros: Decent food

Cons: Rude Staff, Rushed Service, Uncaring owner

mark m braunstein 01 Dec 2016 - We are here to review a restaurant's food, not a restaurant's owner, so I take umbrage with this reviewer's poke at the owner. Full disclosure: I have known the owner since his Golden Sheaf days, back in 1985. Back then, he gave full access to the GS's upstairs office for us to hold our vegan events, unsupervised by any of the staff, and for free. One need not be veg to support or even promote its tenets, and through his eateries he very much promotes veg tenets. The failure rate of new restaurants is 1 in 4 closing in its first year, and of new veg restaurants 1 in 2. Anyone wanting to make serious money would 1) not open a restaurant, and 2) least of all open a veg restaurant.

yum! - Edit

If I lived closer I'd eat here all the time. Sweet busy cafe, bright & super friendly. We had buffalo broccoli, seitan pastrami Reuben, & the cheesecake -- all delicious, fresh, thoughtful. They have a full bar, & juices - the ginger beet lemonade was excellent. Very nice staff, sensitive to tree nut allergy. Highly recommend.

Always delicious! - Edit

Garden Grille is one of my favorite spots to eat. Always greeted with a smile, daily specials, and a menu that changes with the season. Rotating beer taps and a cool bar under a lit up wooden tree.

I can attest to the amazingness of the Tofu BLT (ALWAYS add avocado), the Seitan-Mushroom burger (one of the best veggie burgers EVER), Reggie's Raw Heaven, Carrot Walnut Parsnip Burger, the quesadillas, pretty much everything. Daily soup is always delicious with local Seven Stars bread. Speaking of local, all their sources are listed on the back wall.

It's vegetarian but they will sub Daiya and by default they use vegenaise.

Enjoy one of their vegan desserts or head a few doors down to their FULLY VEGAN bakery Wildflour.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Local food

Great Little Spot With Beer! - Edit

Garden Grille is a cozy spot in a strip mall in Pawtucket. I had a carrot-walnut-parsnip burger and it was amazing. They have a good amount of beer on tap as well. Employees were all friendly and helpful. Will definitely return when I'm in the area.

Loved It!!! - Edit

I found this place while traveling with my family of 5 and we all loved it! To start it has great atmosphere and was jammed with people at every table. We started with an app of Korean Tacos which were so delicious that I wish I had made them my meal, slightly spicy and sweet, yum. Our meals were delicious as well, the Tofu BLT was smoky and fresh, the chipotle sauce was tasty but not spicy. The Seitan fajitas were deliciously seasoned and had a lot of 'meat'. The acorn squash and apple pizza was good but I wouldn't rank it as high as my other meals flavor-wise. And lastly, my favorite, was the butternut squash and black bean quesadillas- heaven!!!
The prices were not cheap, considering they charged add-on fees for items such as avocado, but the food was really fresh and absolutely delectable!! I would go out of my way to go here again!!

Pros: variety of offerings, Delicious and fresh, atmosphere

Cons: a little pricey

great veg spot! - Edit

Was pleasantly surprised as to how great the food was at this spot. I had the seitan portobello burger and the chipotle seitan app. The wesabi dip was incredible, I wanted to coat everything in it but it was very spicy. Needless to say.

Service was very friendly, and the location was great.

I shall return!
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 30, 2015

Pros: excellent seitan, good music, friendly staff

Cons: Didn't see anything I wasn't happy with

Best! - Edit

agree with other reviewer. This is my favorite veg restaurant in RI. Great service - really cool kids. The food never disappoints. Delicious, nutritious, creative and a chef who will share recipes! Great organic beers. And right next door is their vegan bakery - very dangerous place - you will always leave with lots more than you went in for!! Garden Grille was the first real veg restaurant in RI and is still the best. Lunch, dinner, counter and table service.

Pros: creative, delicious, , service

Cons: can't get in sometimes!, No reservations

Favorite restaurant - Edit

The Garden Grille has never disappointed me. There is a reason why I go every week. To start, the chipotle seitan is out of this world!! I almost always order the special for the night because I know it will be hard to get again. Whatever it is, it is always delicious. Be on the look out for fried green tomatoes during tomato season (delicious). Their gluten free and vegan mac and cheese is sooo yummy. Whatever you order you will be happy with. Garden Grille knows how to prepare and present a dish. The staff is always so friendly and make the experience even better. They love to talk to you and they always seem to be helping each other out. The atmosphere is beautiful inside. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you will not be disappointed or be left feeling hungry.

Pros: Everything

Hard to find, but worth the hunt! - Edit

I just had their smoked tofu BLT and it was out of this world. I will go back just for that sandwich alone. They smoke their own tofu which make s a big difference in the flavor.. IThe bread was whole grain too.

The salad my daughter and I shared was a standout also. It had mangos, avocados, greens and a super dressing.

Just one storefront down is their vegan bakery, Wildflower. Save room.

Pros: Tasty dishes, Good prices, Lots of options

Cons: Hard to find

Not too shabby - Edit

My meateating boyfriend has tried to take me (a vegan) to this place on numerous occasions but for one reason or another it only worked out once. The first time was due to valentine's day reservation-only if I'm not mistaken. They second attempt was poor timing- when we arrived they were closed for an hour or two to set up for lunch and we were too hungry to wait. Finally we got to go! Very cute inside! The bar is designed like a tree- super cool. They serve vegan alcohol which was a plus! I expecting the lunch menu which I was looking forward to because of the soups but we missed it (completely our fault). We weren't as impressed with the dinner menu but I think it was just for our taste- especially my boyfriend, he said there was too many things he wasn't familiar with. He got the ceasar salad and I got the pumpkin tostada. There was a list of the ingredients under the entree name and it seemed to list all the toppings, so I assumed by the looks of it, it was vegan. Upon getting my food I realized it had cheese on it. This was no ones fault, I should have double checked to assure it was vegan, but its something to look out for. Anyways, my boyfriends meal happened to be vegan so we switched. The food was definitely rather tasty. I would go back again but probably for lunch, or I would check the menu online before hand. But like I said, it was just due to our taste- it could be wonderful for you!

Pros: Cool atmosphere, Alcohol

Cons: Not super clear menus

Delicious and Friendly! - Edit

I travelled to Rhode Island to visit a friend and she took me to Garden Grille. What a great meal we had! We were there around noon on a weekday and the place was hopping. After about ten minutes we got a seat. The staff was very friendly and the menu is extensive. Lots of great options for vegans, the all-vegan dessert menu is impressive! Definitely check this place out, they also have a vegan bakery in the same strip mall a few doors down. (This restaurant is in a strip mall but has none of the feeling of being in a strip mall so don't let that deter you.)

Pros: Delicious food, Extensive menu, Great staff

Couple of raw options - Edit

A really nice restaurant with plenty of parking. We called in here as part of our RAW tour of the NE USA. Although they didn't have many raw options we had the gaspacho and 'Reggie's Raw Heaven' plate which where both satisfying. We went to the Wildflower Bakery a few doors away for desserts.

Great place - Edit

(Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 31, 2011)

We came here again to try our luck and it proved to be more satisfactory. Got in much earlier for dinner this time; place not as busy, kitchen seemed more efficient, and food portions were bigger too. I saw the burgers we got last time looking much nicer this time; side fries and salad were also more substantial.

For food we had the tempeh cakes for appetizer. The outside was nicely charred, but texture was rather mushy; taste was alright, seemed to come from the same base as the hearts of palm burgers. Then we got the quesadillas, which were yummy and filling, good enough for two persons to share. The miso eggplant was so-so; the chickpeas that came with it were very good though.

Having only one restroom is certainly not convenient during the busy hours. There was a bit of a wait at times and hanging around the kitchen entrance waiting was a little awkward.

First experience was a 3.5 cows, this time a solid 4. Worth checking out when you are around.

----------------

Came here for dinner with my partner. We had the cornmeal-crusted tempeh off the specials and the hearts of palm burger recommended by our server because we couldn't decide on the second entree.

We liked the tempeh better. The burger was not bad at all and the patty actually reminded me of salmon; the bun was thick and crusty but white, would be better if it was whole grain. I found the side salad/fries/vegetables that came with both entrees bit scanty and not very well prepared.

Place was busy and kitchen got slow. Given all the positive reviews, maybe it just happened to be one of those bad evenings? Will come back and see.

Pros: tasty food, good portions

Cons: kitchen can get slow, only one restroom

Two Thumbs Up! - Edit

I was only in town for the day and wanted some comfort food badly. Thank the Lord for Garden Grille. I had the nachos and they were out of this world! Wish my photos would upload...the pix will blow your mind.

Pros: large portions, good prices, good variety

Garden Grille Cafe - pleasant surprise - Edit

I am never disappointed with an experience at the Garden Grille. The Smoky Tofu BLT is absolutely sublime. The cheesecake will rival any non-veg version. I look forward to any trip out to the area.

Pros: Excellent food, healthy, friendly staff

Cons: can get crowded

definitely check it out - Edit

I am a HUGE fan of the Garden Grille now...I see the below negative reviews and think they occurred around the iffy time for the restaurant...I avoided the place for awhile because I kept being disappointed. HOWEVER- the past 12 times or so I've visited I've had nothing but amazing experiences- the staff is super friendly, the orders are consistently delicious, and the quality of the food makes me feel like I'm dining in an upscale gourmet restaurant. It is worth the wait on a busy night- especially enjoy the tempeh spring rolls and chipotle seitan...and I've had several of the entree specials that blew me away. Must visit!

Pros: friendly staff, cozy environment, mouthwatering options

Don't miss it!! - Edit

I am a vegan-leaning vegetarian who is lucky enough to live right up the street from this wonderful restaurant. The food is delicious. Even my non-veggie friends like to go there, which is a big plus. They have a good mix of vegetarian and vegan items. They don't go crazy with meat and cheese substitutes on the menu, which I really like because I'm not a huge fan of them. I can honestly say that I have never eaten anything there I didn't like. Specials change constantly and are always awesome. Service and ambiance are good. Prices are reasonable, especially for lunch. I've actually never tried the smoothies or juices, but they have a huge selection for those out there who are into that sort of thing. I also can't comment on desserts because I've never had it (always too full from dinner), but they are all vegan.

Fantastic in Pawtucket? Who'd a thunk it? - Edit

See the full review at Marty's Vegetarian Review; www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspot.com

I love these "who would have thunk?" places and Pawtucket definitely falls into that category.

I "Happy Cowed", well, actually I use Vegout on my iPhone, but this place came up and their website has a picture of some amazing looking soups so it was either that or trying some veggies at a sub shop.

It's great when we are at a place for a few hours and the place where we park has a crew car for us. Landmark at North Central did and the service was great. Unfortunately sometimes we can't buy gas or order any services to support that business but they do get a ramp fee and I'm happy to spend the company's money that way. Off we went through the backroads of Northern Providence.

I drove by the place at first. Then the other way I saw the address on a sign in a strip mall and turned in.

A beautiful place yet functional, bar and booths and tables. And the amazing thing? All filled. All busy.
Folks, this place is in a strip mall sandwiched in between a Pizza joint and a chinese restaurant, (and another eatery) and this was the place, according to Natalie our waitress, usually has a line out of the door.

What you can't see is that every seat in the booths along the right side was filled and every seat in the window behind me and along the wall to the left was filled.

I love apps and I really enjoy sharing food which sometimes, on the road, depending on who your with, isn't viable. We're sitting at the table (in our uniforms), and Natalie suggested we share some entrees and although we did end up doing that my answer to her, with a smile of course was, "Uhm, we're not married you know." Some guys are funny that way. I couldn't care less. The more tastes of different stuff the better.

Anyway, back to the apps. If you don't want to eat this picture there's something seriously wrong with you.

That is a salted bowl of Edamame and I got the Chipotle Glazed Seitan with the Wasabi Dipping sauce.
This reminded me more of an Asian dish than Mexican spiced but it was like eating fried sweet and sour chinese food from my PV days. (Note to self, tell people about new abbreviations before you use them. PV= Pre veg). I found it more sweet and honey-ish than spicy but the wasabi cleared m...

Pros: Great food, Great environment

Cons: it's not a chain and should be

Can't wait to visit again - Edit

Fantastic. As a chef and longtime vegan I was absolutely thrilled with this restaurant. The food was fresh, flavorful and filling. We had the tempeh spring rolls (baked, not fried) with pickled vegetables, smoothies, the Santa Fe burger, the falafel wrap and desserts. The desserts were a little underwhelming (in comparison to Cafe Sunflower in Atlanta), but everything else was really great. Certainly rivals Candle Cafe in NYC for best vegetarian restaurant I've visited. Oh, and it didn't hurt that they played Bob Dylan the entire time we were there. Wish we lived closer.

Pros: Flavor, Freshness

Cons: Variety is a little thin, Good, though unspectacular desserts

we love this place - Edit

my boyfriend and i are both vegans, and we go here all the time. never for lunch, unfortunately, just dinner. the service is always good, but it's not outstanding. the food is definitely outstanding! there are so many vegan options, and all of the ones i've tried have been awesome. i haven't tried the mixed grill, which one reviewer gave a negative review about. i actually asked my waiter about whether or not i should get the mixed grill the last time i was there, and he said "it's nothing special." but i'm sure there are some diners out there that it would appeal to. garden grill has tons of vegan desserts. my boyfriend and i joke around that they are "suspiciously good!" unlike the vegan desserts at julian's that make you wish you hadn't spent the money. great beer selection. AND a juice bar... i mean, really you can't get much better than this.

Pros: JUICE BAR, lots of vegan food, consistent service and good food

Cons: moderately pricey but worth it, no french fries on menu

Overrated - Edit

Every time we go here we have been more and more disappointed. This time ordered the mixed grill which was a plate of charred vegetable over half cooked brown rice ($13), and the BLT which was small and boring ($7). We have been there for a special set menu for valentine's day it was inventive and delicious, but regular fair is boring and poorly prepared.

Pros: vegetarian food, intresting drinks

Cons: small portions, boring food, porr porrly prepared food

WOW !!!!!! - Edit

So for years i have heard people talk about The Garden Grille and recently finally tried it out and was amazed. The staff is really great , warm and makes you feel so at home. While it took slightly long for service , it was only because of the crowds waiting to get in , and now i see why. I had the Grandma Reggie's Raw Heaven Salad with fresh mangoes n avocados and this great cashew topping over greens....amazing . Went with about 6 others and we split the chipolte seitan ( yum yum) the butternut squash quesadilla ( our new addiction) , the cashew encrusted tofu ....it was all some of the best i've ever has , and i used to live in NYC. The atmosphere is definitely a mix of post 60's hippie , slightly casual upscale and maybe new agey given the yoga drawings , but it all sort of works in a strange chaotic way. Some of our group are meat eaters and they all thought it was great. Defintely one of Providence's great little secrets.It's in a really ugly shopping plaza but once you are inside it has a warm inviting ambiance that just makes you feel good. For what they offer it's one of the best values in town. And that dog outside...Henry i think.......he is the coolest four legged being i've ever met.

Unbelievable food! - Edit

I was looking for a juice bar and was advised to go to this place by the guys at Nice Slice in Providence. What a surprise to find vegan heaven!!! Grilled seitan was to die for. Great raw food options. The specials included sauteed greens with soy sausage- yum! There's even a whole vegan dessert menu. I got cheesecake to go in an environmentally friendly container and was so happy with the taste and the freshness! I'd drive an hour to go to this joint again. Kudos to the staff and owner for maintaining such a great place to eat healthfully!

Pros: Vegan heaven., Vegan Desserts!, Juice bar!

Cons: no wheatgrass:(

Good Veggie/Vegan in RI - Edit

An excellent dining experience for vegans and vegetarians in Pawtucket. As for ambience, I loved the combination of earnest hippie vegetarian restaurant and nice upscale restaurant. The food was uniformly excellent: we had the tempeh spring rolls, vegetarian pad thai, and (most spectacular) a BBQ seitan that unfortunately I don't see on their current web menu. Nice drinks, friendly and efficient service, and a reasonable price for the food. I'm very grateful to have such a great restaurant in the area!

A pleasant experience - Edit

I ate here back in September & enjoyed it. Unfortunately I don't remember what I ordered but I recall liking it. I do remember the service being on the slow side, but my friend & I weren't in a hurry so it was OK. Overall I wasn't super impressed with the vegan options, but I'd go back.

Pros: Reasonable prices, Convenient location

Cons: Slow service

good for being upscale(ish) - Edit

they just recently with the new year (o8) have updated thier menu which could take some getting used to for me. for a veggie place i wish there were more vegan options. as far as taste, almost everything is really really good, but if your cheap and have a big appeatite (like me) expect to leave happy you ate something really tasty but wanting so much more of it. there are some original drink options my only expierence with that is a vegan white russian which left me questioning whether i was drinking an alcoholic drink or not, a few original beer and wine options too.

Rhode Island would be lost without! - Edit

Thank you Garden Grille for existing for the vegans in RI! While dinner options are pricey and portions small the regular menu has yet to disappoint. Also amazing organic mixed drinks and lots of daily specials. Would like ther to be more dessert options. Always friendly service!

Pros: vegan nachos, yummy wraps, delicious drinks

Cons: not enough dessert options, pricey, wish speicals were in expensive , small

Mixed bag - Edit

We've come down from Mass. twice recently with friends. The portions are of a pretty fair size usually, but sometimes do seem a bit undersized. My salad arrived without dressing and i had to wait quite a while for it. Something similar happened to one of our friends. My husband's Tandoori Tofu was OK, but nothing like tandoori since it tasted of soy sauce. Overall, I'd say there are several things on the menu that are pretty yummy and several that don't work at all. And yes, Henry, the dog (he's not that fat!) is super adorable.

Pros: Good variety of dishes

Cons: Service can be bad

Very overrated: small portions, poor service - Edit

My boyfriend and I (both vegan) have given the Garden Grille many chances. Each time we've gone back, we think, "Maybe things will be better this time..." Not so. The dinner entree portions are small for the prices that you pay, and the service is often poor or non-existent. Recently, my boyfriend ordered something and asked to have vegan cheeze added to it. When his meal came, there was no vegan cheeze on it. He alerted the waitress to this, who proceeded to tell him: "Yes, there is vegan cheeze on it." There was clearly no cheeze at all! But he still got charged and extra for this non-existent cheeze. (I think it was $1.50-$2 extra.) Our water glasses are almost never refilled here, and we have even gotten partially frozen/cold soy products ("chicken" fingers, etc.) on multiple occasions. Vegans/vegetarians would be better off going to Rasoi (Indian place witha a vegan Saturday buffet for $8.99, in the same plaza as the Garden Grille), to Not Just Snacks (Indian/Bangladeshi place not far away on Hope Street), or to Apsara Palace (southeast Asian place also not far away on Hope Street). The only cool thing about the Garden Grille is the fat dog that sits outside. I wish I could give this place a better review, but we have been disappointed every time that we have gone.

Pros: Nice dog "mascot"

Cons: Poor service, Small portions, Undercooked food

2 Responses

oshiro 21 Jun 2007 - We have been eating at the Garden Grille for over 10 years and this person could not be further from the truth and the proof is in the lines that are at the grille almost every night . The portions are crazy huge and the prices are very moderate two people can get stuffed for $40 including a couple of beers. The staff who has been there for ever are the most amazing crew who knows almost everyone by name greets you with hugs and the dog out front Henry is not just some fat dog...he is one of providences most famous yellow labs . This person actually sounds like its personal having such off the mark comments and any one reading them should absolutely consider them about as helpful as George Bush at an Earth Day Festival.......by the Rasoi is so so but Not Just Spices is amazing and i would go there for Indian any day instead if you want REAL Indian

leonesspurr 30 Dec 2007 - I am more inclined to agree with will-travel-for-food on this one. Perhaps it is just vegans who have a hard time here. The food can be downright tasteless at times, and extremely over-priced for the small portions. The soups tend to be pretty good and the drinks, as well, but all-in-all, I would not waste my money here. I tried this place on numerous occasions before I finally gave up. I stopped going here years ago. It would take a major overhaul to get me to go back.

Return to Pawtucket Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Garden Grille Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.