Gannets

+44-1636-702066

35 Castle Gate, Newark, England, NG241AZ

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family owned cafe in Georgian building near the castle. Uses locally sourced and organic ingredients. Aware of different dietary needs or choices. Staff friendly and helpful. No vegan dishes listed on menu but are available, as well as soya milk and dairy free spread. Inside and outdoor seating. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-4:00pm, Sat 9:00am-5:00pm, Sun 9:00am-4:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Buffet, Salad bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Libra77

Over-rated, Over-priced and Under-cooked - Edit

Following the reviews already posted on this site my partner and I decided to try this place on a weekend for lunch. £8 for a slice of Quiche which came with either undercooked/raw rice (with sultanas) or shredded carrot. Or a potato skin (singular) with cheese for the same price. The options were not great unless you wanted cakes or scones, the other main meals included meat. I would not recommend this, if I could give zero stars I would.

Pros: Nice setting, friendly staff

Cons: Over priced, Poor/few options, Poor quality food

Some vegan choices available - Edit

I was in the Newark area which is not an area that's easy to find vegan food. Whilst searching various restaurant websites I came across Gannets and the mention that they can cater for vegans. I rang and was told there were some options available however these are not listed on the menu as vegan. On arrival the lady spoke with the chef who was able to inform which options were vegan. I opted for the Provençal Bean and Vegetable Casserole which was fresh and tasty. Bread was provided as a side and this was served with dairy free spread. Plenty of drink options and soya milk also available. Food and drink a little on the pricey side but is fresh, local and organic. If you are in the area and stuck I'd give them a call. The menu changes frequently with daily specials so if you want to know what's available I'd suggest calling ahead.

Pros: Local produce and organic , Some vegan choices, plenty of vegetarian, Lovely building and staff

Cons: Little pricey , Vegan items not labelled on menu

Return to Newark Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gannets closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.