Gama Cafe

Contact 780-885-5796

10813 82Ave, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6E2B2

A vegetarian food and dessert restaurant, at this space since Jan 2015. On the menu are dishes like risotto and pasta, waffles and toast, Taiwanese desserts, and selection of beverages. Uses dairy, so vegans should specify. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Italian, Western, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by Veggie J

Vegan unfriendly - Edit

This place is unfriendly towards vegans. The restaurant advertises on both its signage and menu that it is friendly towards vegetarians and vegans. Yet the staff do not even know what a vegan diet entails. (The menu seems vegetarian, but most dishes have dairy).

Once we were seated, I asked the server which dishes could be made vegan. She asked me what I meant by that, and I explained what vegans can/not eat. She consulted with the chef, who seemed equally confused about what vegans can eat, but said that most dishes can be done in a vegan way. I was a bit distraught by this, but decided to give the benefit of the doubt and I ordered a pasta dish. A few minutes later, the server returned and asked if I wanted my parmesan served on my pasta or on the side. At this point it became clear that they did not understand vegan food, so I informed the server that I'd be leaving.

I cannot comment on quality of food. All I can say is: If you are a strict vegan, beware of this place. They do not understand what a vegan diet entails (it was clear that neither server nor cook knew it) even though they advertise themselves as vegan friendly.

Pros: Interesting atmosphere, Menu looks good if you eat dairy

Cons: Staff do not understand vegan diet

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gama Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 887 times since Jun 2015.