Gaia's Garden

• Vegetarian
Contact 707-544-2491

1899 Mendocino Ave, Santa Rosa, California, USA, 95401

All-you-can-eat vegetarian and vegan buffet featuring a small salad bar as well as some hot foods like curry. Also hosts art exhibits, live music and events. Previously named Govinda's.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Buffet, Fast food

First Review by celestialstar2004

Best buffet around - Edit

I've been eating at Gaia's Garden since it was called Govinda's under different management years ago. Food has been consistently good and has gotten even more vegan-friendly over the years.

For me as a tall guy with a big appetite, being able to eat til I'm full for under $20 is a really great deal.

Buffet always has a great salad bar, some nice simple rice/veggie options, plus a rotation of interesting soups, curries, and other entrees.

Good ambience, some really cool decor on the walls, and occasional live music! Love it.

Pros: good vibe, great value, good food

Great Food and Great Service - Edit

This cute cozy restaurant offers buffet style food mostly all gluten free and on Tuesdays and Thursdays the main meals are fully vegan. I visited for Tuesday dinner and as a gluten free vegan thought I couldnt have picked a better day. The curry was delicious and the vegan enchiladas were the best Ive had. I came back for Thursday lunch the same week with my mother and auntie who were also visiting as they are both gluten free vegos. We all found the Blue Plate special (load your plate once) was more then enough food and was very good value but for those that like to eat more then one plate perhaps the all you can eat option would be better. Next trip to Santa Rosa will def include a stop for lunch/dinner here.

Pros: Good food Friendly staff Gluten free and Vegan

great for vegans and vegetarians - Edit

Love this place. Great buffer, most items are 100% plant-based and the staff quickly pointed out the two items that contained some cheese it eggs. Great place!

Buffet is ok - Edit

I was impressed that this place was almost entirely onion/garlic free. I was disappointed that they really didn't have seitan, tempeh, tofu of and real hearty high protein options at the buffet. The buffet is decent though and there are some other dishes as well, nice coffee and they are good about not letting people back to the buffet with dirty dishes. I like that! The natural food market next door is super awesome too!!!!

Pros: Nice staff

Cons: Lacks protein based options

Gaias Garden Thank you for the positive comments about our food and operations. It appears you were in for lunch. Dinner starts at 5 p.m., the price goes up ($14.95 for the full buffet, $8.95 for the "blueplate special") and we put out two entrees. At least one will be vegan and gluten-free, with tofu, tvp or tempeh, and the other may have dairy. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, both are vegan.

We have also initiated a specials menu recently which includes a soy-based vegan sausage sandwich on our foccacia bread - this is usually available all day.

Fantastic food! Friendly staff, terrific for vegan - Edit

Our vegan family of four ate here last Monday. We had dinner and got cookies and salad dressings to go. The food is fabulous, not too spicy, yet not at all bland. The unanimous favorites were the pesto lasagna, vegetable curry, yellow lentil dal soup and the salad dressings on the salad bar. My 20 year old son loved the almond dressing, I loved the tofu dill and my husband and teenage daughter thought the sun dried tomato vinagrette was best. We will be stopping here on every trip north. Go here, you will not be disappointed.

Pros: Vegan and vegetarian food, Nice staff are very helpful, They make everything fresh daily

Cons: Couldn't find one

A lunch bargain - Edit

My companion and I had the buffet lunch at Gaia's Garden. I got the blue plate special and my companion had the same with added soup. If you have a very hearty appetite (or are a teen-aged boy), it pays to take the all-you-can eat option.

The resturant has a pleasant indoor seating area and a small outdoor area. we chose to sit indoors.

There was an extensive salad bar, with several kinds of greens, other veggies and garnishes of seeds, fake bacon bits, croutons, etc. and several dressings. Hot dishes included polenta with tomato sauce, roasted root veggies, pasta rice and cooked veggies. There were two soup choices, two types of bread and two desserts. The food was very tasty, and the bill was under $18 for the two of us. If we're in the area again, we would definitely return there.

Pros: good food, low price, helpful staff

Excellent - Edit

We were staying in Santa Rosa with relatives and looked for a Vegan place to eat. This place was good. Quite a selection and not overpriced. The food was great.

Pros: Large selection, Select what you want, Good quality

Yum!! - Edit

Enjoyed two meals here (so far) - all you can eat. Everything we had was vegan and delicious! The vegan soups are sooo good. Mostly Indian in flavor, but not too spicy and very flavorful. Hope to go back soon!

Well worth a visit - Edit

Dining at Gaia's Garden was a very pleasant experience starting with its welcoming staff when I walked in. The buffet consisted of a sizable salad area with a variety of fixin's, such as 3 different greens, bean sprouts, olives, shredded beets, carrots, and so on. They offer several varieties of dressings, which are also for sale by the jar. The hot bar had 6 items and 2 soups. There were 2 types of breads and 2 desserts. All of the serving trays were kept full, and the food areas clean. I overheard the owner tell someone that the produce is all organic. Everything I had was well prepared and tasty. The restaurant has a large, very clean seating area, which is nicely decorated and well lit. Pleasant, soft instrumental music was playing in the background; a nice change from eateries that tune into a radio station and you get to hear mattress commercials. There is also a small outdoor dining area. There is one restroom, which is large, clean and well stocked.

Pros: great, healthy food, nice staff, very clean

You gotta try the almond dressing! - Edit

The buffet changes daily. It's primarily Indian fare but they have some Italian food as well. I like the almond dressing so much that I just like a huge plate of salad but I also really liked their corn bread.

Pros: Tasty, Fast, Best guessing

Cons: Serves non vegan food

Love it more than ever under new ownership - Edit

We already really enjoyed Gaia's Garden when it was Govinda's but wanted more vegan options. Now they have them, in fact they have nights that are specifically vegan. The food seems better than ever, and although not organic they purchase from a well respected local grower that does not use pesticides. The food is prepared with love, and it shows.

Changed names - Edit

Govinda's is now Gaia Garden. We arrived, after calling, to find the entre plates on the buffet table to be empty. It did not look like they were going to be refilled soon. There was plenty of salad if that is all you were looking for. We not stay so I can not review the food.

Return to Santa Rosa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gaia's Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5620 times since Aug 2007.