Gaia Veggie Shop - Pioneer Centre

• Vegetarian
Contact 852-2148-1163

Shop 135, 3/F, Pioneer Centre, 750 Nathan Road (at Prince Edward MTR Station & Bute St), Kowloon, Hong Kong, China,

Vegetarian restaurant with 100+ seats. Cantonese Buddhist veggie food - the majority of dishes have no eggs.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible

March.2015 - Edit

The second Gaia restaurant which we visited the last day.
Service was very disappointing.
We wanted the different dumplings (steamed, fried, deep-fried), but were told only one of them is available (wasn't the difference just the method of preparation?).
My wife wanted to order more dishes, but the waitress said "You ordered enough", took the menus and left.
As the other Gaia place, they bring you and charge you for mediocre tea whether you want it or not.
Finally - they told us we have to leave at 22:10, despite the fact that they are supposed to work till 23:00.
Disappointing last dinner in Kowloon/Hong Kong.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: too many faux meat options, charges for unsolicited mediocre tea, service

pretty good - Edit

I personally quite liked the food I had here unlike some of the previous reviewers, I thought it was well prepared and interestingly flavoured, however I do like fake meat. the sort of steamed fake chicken dish I had was particularly good but almost disturbingly realistic, I felt, with a really complicated stringy texture and possibly even a fake bone in there somewhere. the main issue I had with this place though is that we (unknowingly) showed up about 25 minutes before the end of the 30% off happy hour and they kept asking us to wait, even though there were tables free and then only finally put our order in the system at 5 on the dot just as happy hour ended (we only worked out what happened later)

Pros: tasty

Cons: expensive, not helpful staff, not all vegan

Gaia Veggie Shop - Pioneer Centre, Hong Kong - Edit

10% services added and also mandatory tea charge charge even if you don't drink the tea. They also bring non complimentary snack food to your table with the tea when seating customers.

From the manner of the senior waitress (it's not what you say, it's the way that you say it), I can see why another reviewer felt staff were on the rude side.

Pros: Vegan friendly

Cons: They like to crank up billable extras

not a good one - Edit

I've been to a few veggie places in the last few days here in HK and this was the worst of them.
None of the staff spoke any English, they are rude, they charged me 10 HK dollars more than was my order, so I had to complain. And they put eggs in my rice (lesson learned for next time: use the translator on the smart phone next time, maybe it will help).

Cons: they don't speak English, they use eggs, not mentioned in the menu, rude staff

Better a la carte - Edit

I'd visited their Causeway Bay location twice before, was so-so, nothing memorable. Came here on a Saturday night, the place was totally packed, tables cramped and it got a little noisy. This time we ordered a la carte instead of choosing from the set menu, was actually quite tasty. But then again, like other Chinese vegetarian restaurants, it's full of mock meat, they even have mock fish sushi. Good for carnivores who want to venture a bit into vegetarianism.

Pros: good value, big menu

Cons: cramped, noisy

Best vegetarian restaurant I've been to in town - Edit

Gaia has two more sites besides this one at Pioneer Centre. They are 502 Hennessy Road 8th fl in Hong Kong and Shop 2005, Miramar Shopping Centre in Kowloon. Their menu is rather extensive, very clearly photographed, and not "contrived". You can always tell the waitress to use less oil, less salt, less sugar and the chef will do it for you. I liked their "lamb" stew a lot, to go with a bowl of rice.
On the other hand, their lunch plates at $37 was hastily made (the mass produced sauce was gooey and starchy) and substandard. Non-vegan stuff like eggs or milk items are clearly stated. On the whole, a very good restaurant.

Pros: Great tastes, Substantial, Always with integrity

Cons: Always fully seated, Cafeteria style

What a great find! - Edit

Found this place just walking around! Clean, bright restaurant with an extensive menu. We had fried eggplants, hofun, and stir fried watercress with ginger. Dishes with eggs are marked on the menu, and anything with dairy is quite obvious. Good quality food.

Pros: Delicious food, Central location, Hearty portions

stylish, user friendly menu - Edit

I was still hungry after my trip to Treasure (see review!), so luckily I had a back-up, with Gaia just a short walk away. It was easy to find as the Pioneer Centre building features on the free HKG map hotels give out (Grid square 7M).

It was lovely! Although it has 100+ seats, there is a smaller section at the front, so it feels nice to sit in. It was very clean, comfortable for a lone diner and the menu was great. The menu was well priced and had English and many really handy pictures. It was hard to decide as so many things looked great! They don't seem to add a service charge and the tea they serve was inexpensive and really good. (If you know 'genmai cha' - roasted brown rice and green tea, that's what it was.)

I enjoyed my meal and would definitely go back here again.

Pros: menu pics, tea flavour, decor

Great place & very popular / busy - Edit

Upstairs inside the Mall - just follow the shop numbers to find it.

If you are dining alone be careful not to overorder - portions are large.

For the best experience go with a big group of friends & order 5 / 6 different dishes to share.

Each time that I have visited the cooks have been excellent.

Tasty, tasty food & well presented.

Little English spoken but the menu is very clear.

Great value food!

If only they would serve red / brown rice!

Occasionally I have had to wait for a table - it is best to book if you are planning to visit with a group on the traditional "veggie" days.

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gaia Veggie Shop - Pioneer Centre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2739 times since Feb 2008.