Gaia Shokudo

03-32194865

Kandasurugadai 3-3-13, Chiyoda-ku (at 3rd floor), Tokyo, Japan, 101-0062

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant serving choice of two set lunches. Mostly vegan but sometimes serves fish. On the first floor is a grocery store. Note: kitchen may stop serving 30-60 minutes prior to closing, check ahead. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm.

Categories: Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by iokan

A Gem in Tokyo - Edit

Living in Osaka a year, there were some great veg spots. Gaia Shokudo is like a Tokyo version of my favorite - with its filling, nicely-priced and delicious lunch set.
I got a tofu hamburger, salad, big bowl of brown rice, some other side dishes and delicious tea (with refills) for 1,000円!
In Tokyo, you're either lucky to get cheap or good veg food; this was both! Not really in a spot I frequent but I'll definitely be back!

Pros: Tea is amazing, Food is high-quality and served in good portions, 1000円 for a lunch set!

Cons: Was that fish in one of my sides...?

Good food, nice atmosphere - Edit

Very cosy little place that also sold some clothes and stuff. Not good for big groups as it is a pace to relax and just enjoy the surroundings and the lovely food that came in big portions. I would love to come here again.

Pros: Not a big menu but very good food!!

Cons: Very cosy, nice service

amazing value - Edit

There was a choice of two lunches on the day we went: tempeh and tofu.

I had one and my partner the other. We were so satisfied with our meals and the variety of flavours and food served in one meal is impressive!

No choice but a great meal - Edit

For a single flat rate, there's no choice here, but you do get a great lunch - when I went it was a bowl of rice, a huge bowl of miso soup, and then the main plate with lots of tiny helpings of different dishes. A lot of variety for Y1000.

Good - Edit

Located just outside the hustle and bustle of Akihabara electric town is the peace and tranquility of Ochanomizu. And perhaps the most peaceful place there is Gaia Shokudo restaurant. It is located above a macrobiotic shop and serves macrobiotic food.

There's one restaurant on the third floor and one on the second. When I arrived around 1 pm the restaurant on the third floor was closed because it sold out for the day.

The restaurant on the second floor offers a choice of only two dishes: a "burger menu" and "something with fish". Of course I went for the first option, which contains of two slabs of tofu with vegetables and several vegetable dishes on the side. As with most Japanese meals, miso soup and (brown) rice are served on the side.

The taste and quality of the menu is average for a restaurant like this. One quickly notices that macrobiotic ingredients have been used as they have a more pure and honest taste. The price of 1,000 yen per person is more than reasonable for the quality and amount of food served. If I'm in the neighbourhood I'd certainly visit again, but the restaurant isn't worth travelling for (i.e. for the Brown Rice Cafe in Harajuku I'd fly to Japan!).

How to find Gaia Shokudo: go to Shin-ochanomizu station and take exit B3b. Once outside, turn left and turn left again. That's it. 1 minute walking from B3b exit. You basically walked around the post office (recognisable by the orange "JP network" logo. The shop and the restaurants look exactly like the pictures already supplied by the staff from Happy Cow.

Pros: fair price, decent food

Cons: nothing special or creative, closes early, 18.30 or when out of stock

Mhnd 06 Mar 2016 - Hi Iokan, Believe me if you had the chance to try the 3rd F meal, you would not only consider flying back but you might also consider living in Japan.

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gaia Shokudo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.