Gaia Art and Cafe

Contact +55-21-22443306

Rua Gustavo Sampaio 323 Loja A, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, 22010010

A charming bistro with a focus on natural food, organic products, gluten free and vegan options. A place for culture, art and exchange of ideas; a community meeting place. Open Tue-Fri 2:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic

First Review by enRoute

A lovely restaurant, good for a casual meal or more formal eating out - Edit

A great place to come and eat for lunch or evening meal. Excellent food, varied menu, changing daily specials, selection of organic beers and wines, fresh cakes, free WiFi, selection of organic products on sale. The only issue we had was on the day we visited, there were loads of fruit goes and mosquitos buzzing around the restaurant. All that is needed is a ceiling fan and this would be a 5 star establishment.

Pros: Excellent food, Good for both informal and informal dining, Just off the beach in Leme

Cons: Loads of fruit flies and mosquitos buzzing about w

cute and close to beach - Edit

Small bistro a block in from the beach. We went on a Tuesday evening and it was not busy and had live music.

We had a halloumi salad and a yam rosti for about R$50 inc water. The salad was good. Came with gluten-free flatbread which was not so good. The rosti was a little greasy but filling.

Lots of vegetarian options to choose from. Had English and French translations at the back of the menu.

The band play nicely in the background.

Looked like it had wifi too (although I did not try it).

I would go back there and explore more of the menu.

Decent Place - Edit

Found the only other review on here to be pretty far off from our experience. We went around 7pm one night from Copacabana Beach and found it very nice. The vegan burger was pretty decent by my standards and my wife had a little gluten free and vegan pizza that was nothing more than a little light layer of tapioca flour crust and a tiny bit of sauce and veggies. We got dessert and it was good too. Don't get your hopes up for something outstanding but it's decent for Brazil. There were mosquitoes all over too, which never is fun. Candles and a zapper helped...

very disappointing, barely edible - Edit

Let's start with the good: the space is very cute, the concept is great, and the location is great.

Unfortunately, the food varies between alright and just awful. Had the penne pasta (recommendation on the board), and it tasted like someone had just cooked their first vegan dish, ever. In general, vegan options are slim: almost everything has cheese, cream, etc.

I got a "vegan burger" to go (be careful, this so called vegan burger comes with cheese if you don't ask to remove it). Imagine my delight when I got home to find it was literally – I shit you not – a single patty on two soggy buns. It didn't even vaguely resemble the pics here. Also came with something called "chips" which were essentially inedible potato stiffies. To make it worse, I'd waited an extra 30 minutes after finishing for this masterpiece to be rolled out. The only redeeming factor was that the patty itself was slightly tasty and a solid notch above edible. I still couldn't believe what you get for what you pay for... it felt like some disgruntled person in the kitchen was saying "I've had enough of you vegetarians and your 'vegan' burgers!"

It's a real shame because this place could be GREAT, but the staff really did not give the impression that they were thrilled to be there. I was wondering why my juice was taking so long and I realized that the person making it was taking big sips as it was being made (from a separate glass, but still).

Could've just been that I got there on a bad day, and maybe the dairy-based dishes are tastier... but I'd really been looking forward to loving this place which made it even more disappointing.

Pros: great location, cute space, good intentions

Cons: poor execution, food is... not good, staff distant and uninterested

2 Responses

GaiaMMasse Dear enRoute,
We are very sorry your experience at Gaia was unpleasant, and appreciate your feedback, as a young restaurant striving to prefect. The service you received is not our standard at all. Our chef is highly trained and regularly takes classes to improve her knowledge and techniques. We are also improving the menu to add more vegan options, and the staff has changed since May.
As for the vegan burger, something must’ve gone wrong on that day because the bun is standardly served with a slice of tomato, salad, and a vegan sauce funghi secci, or a vegetarian gorgonzola sauce. It comes with a side of freshly cooked mandioca, which might not have been to your taste but is a classic of Brazilian cuisine.
We are once again sorry for your experience and hope to see you again to taste our enhanced menu options, our organic drinks, enjoy our live music and ongoing exhibitions of local artists.
Best regards,

Return to Rio De Janeiro Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gaia Art and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1554 times since Apr 2014.