Funky Pies

Contact +61-0420415164

Shop 2, 144-148 Glenayr Ave, Bondi Beach, Bondi, New South Wales, 2026

Small cafe serving a variety of chunky pies in addition to cupcakes, carrot cake, chocolate cake, and banana bread - all made on the premises. Organic fairtrade coffee served with Bonsoy, plus organic juice, tea. Desserts and a selection of processed vegan food items such as soy condensed milk available. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-8:30pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-8:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Catering

First Review by sarah m

satisfying - Edit

A tiny little place with a limited section of veggie pies, but don't let that turn you off! Though several are fake-meat pies multiple ones are not. Friendly staff, tasty food, inexpensive, satisfying. Bondi does have multiple veggie options, but this is still worth visiting.

Pros: tasty, a bit unusual, inexpensive

Cons: limited menu

great vegan pies - Edit

Great vegan pies. The crust is light and flaky. Awesome flavor. the smoothies and juice were also very good. Peas and mash went great with the pie. A large amount of food for the price. Small seating area. Recommend!

Pros: all vegan, tasty

Cons: small seating area

Delicious - Edit

We shared 6 pies and a sausage roll and everything was perfection. Stand outs were the "lamb" curry pie (seriously, how did they do that), chic'n cheesy pie and lentil sage pie. Will be back next time we're in Sydney!

Pros: All vegan , Absolutely delicious , They sell vegan cheeses, ice creams and chocolates

Cons: Not a lot of seating

Worth all the stars! - Edit

Tried the Funky Chunky as recommended and it was awesome! Grab a bottle of cool, fizzy kombucha and you'll have a satisfying meal. Staff was friendly and smiley. Prices were reasonable. Highly recommended!

Pros: great food, friendly staff

Fantastic place - Edit

My favourite vegan spot in Bondi Beach! Affordable, ready-to-eat, very friendly. Many different flavours of pies (if you like pies). Also a small shop for vegan products.
My first time eating at a restaurant that serves mainly pies!

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food

Cons: no wifi, not many tables

Finally a decent vegan pie! - Edit

Cosy little café where we sat outside in the warm winter sun eating delectable vegan pie n mash to rival any meat based pie...

Pros: Delicious range; reasonably priced; friendly staff

Cons: none

Great pies - Edit

Had the chic and cheeze pie with mash, peas and gravy. Was great and I enjoyed the flavours of the rolls. Boyfriend dispointed that peas are whole and not mushy.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 22, 2016

Pros: Vegan pies!, Great condiments

Cons: A bit expensive

best pie ive ever had period - Edit

I forget what it was called but it was a mock lamb pie with some sort of curry it was so great

Pros: great food, great service

Cons: the stools were very uncomfortable , a little pricey

Awesome pies & desserts - Edit

Funky pies is a wonderfully unique vegan cafe with delicious pies & desserts. The chic & cheezy and no worry curry are my favourites, while the funky chunky is probably the closest to the traditional Aussie meat pie (from what I remember from my childhood!).

Pros: Great variety of pies, All vegan, Tasty desserts

Cons: Parking a bit of a nightmare, Limited seating

Happy little dig - Edit

Small shop with veg-friendly products to take home, besides the overwhelming choices of veggie pies. I am used to referring to the default pumpkin curry pie as a veg choice, so was feeling rather spoiled for choice when there were a dozen to choose from. Freshly baked and not greasy, $6/pie + $4 for mash & peas or a simple salad. Friendly and stress-free staff with knowledge for good veg food preparation, like how to make good hot drinks with non-dairy cream (ie. knowing how to avoid overheating soya on coffee machine)

Pros: plentiful choices, decent food, friendly staff

Made me a pie fan - Edit

We don't have pies like this in the US! Wow! We ate here a few times on a recent stay in Bondhi Beach. As mentioned in other reviews, the Funky Chunky and Cheezy Chkn pies were fantastic. The crust was perfect and the pies weren't too dry, even right before closing time! We also loved having vegan mashed potatoes and gravy. The shop also sells a few goods, and we found vegan sour cream after literally months of searching for it on our travels! Plus, the price was great for Bondhi. We could not have been more thrilled with this place. Wish we had one back home!

Pros: delicious, good value, friendly staff

Cons: they don't have a location back home

Best pies ever and more... - Edit

I love Funky Pies and have been to this place a few times when visiting Sydney and also enjoyed their pies many times at places that sell them in Melbourne. I've never found another pie quite like them: they get the crust flaky and just right and the filling moist, which other pies fail to do. Today when we visited the place had changed a bit since the last time I was there: the kitchen had been upgraded, leaving not as much seating. The pies come with the option of either salad or mashed potatoes, peas and gravy (the latter great for vegans who like the opportunity to have traditional dishes they might normally miss out on. Today the mash wasn't great though and I wished I'd ordered the salad.) We weren't adventurous and stuck with two varieties of pie we knew we liked: the Funky Chunky with Shiitake mushroom (a popular one and the kind of pie you could slip by an omnivore and they'd likely not know the difference) and the Easy Chic'n Cheesy with a cheesy sauce. There are between 10 and 20 varieties of pie to choose from with a number of types of curry filling and Italian-style ones. In addition you can buy vegan cakes and sweets and vegan specialty grocery items as well as fair trade organic coffee. The staff are friendly and helpful. This is always a go-to eatery when I'm in Sydney.

Pros: The best pies you'll ever taste , Vegan sweets, Fair trade coffee

Cons: Not much seating

If you want to pull a vegan woman, buy her a pie. - Edit

The first time I met my partner, he bought me a funky pie. So this place has great sentimental value, and we still go there together occasionally for the memories and the pies, even though he has moved from Bondi to the inner west.

The pies are quite tasty, and there's nothing like a pie with potato and mushy peas on a cold day. I'm just classy like that. I haven't tested the desserts and drinks with the exception of the addition foods brownies which I appreciate a little too much.

There is not much seating space available, and what is available is very very casual. You may be best taking your pie away.

Pros: Memories, 100% vegan, Comfort food

Cons: Not much seating, Very casual dining

Incredible pies! - Edit

I live around the corner from Funky Pies a few years ago and I still remember them. They were awesome. Wish I could have them here in my country!
The shitake one was incredible, and so was the mashed potatoes and gravy on the side.
Salivating...

Best pies in the world! - Edit

Delicious pies, delicious caramel slice too. The g'day satay and the curry pies are my favourite. The mash potato and peas side was very nice too. By far my favourite place to eat!!!

Pros: Yum Food, Great service, Lots of selection

Return to Bondi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Funky Pies closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.