Funky Fresh Cafe

Contact +47-23292870

DogA, Hausmannsgate 16, Oslo, Norway, 0766

Catering company Funky Fresh Foods opened its cafe in August 2014 at the DogA center. Serves burgers, juices, coffee. A small shop area sells organic products and its own labeled products. Open Mon-Tue 10:00am-5:00pm, Wed-Fri 10:00am-10:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Fast food, Juice bar, Catering

First Review by Mirja Love RAW

tasty food in nice atmosphere - Edit

the main points:
*nice atmosphere
*black bean burger (appr. 20€, with few (sweet) potatoes and cabbage salad on the side) was tasty
*chocolate cake (not raw, appr. 4€) was average
there would have been also raw cakes, but they would have been more expensive (appr. 8€). From a mid-European point of view, this place is in general more expensive, but for Oslo/Norwegian-standards I assume it is normal. In any case it is nice to support an all-vegan place, and the food seemed quite healthy, so I would come here again as well as recommending going there to others :)

Pros: tasty, atmosphere, all-vegan with raw options

Cons: bit expensive, but normal for Norwegian standards, (non-raw) cake was average

Nice atmosphere and yummy food - Edit

I struggled to find this place (it is actually inside the DOGA building) but I was so glad I persevered! The burger I had was nice and very filling and the chocolate mint shake was amazing. The prices are reasonable for Oslo and the staff speak good English.

Pros: Amazing non-dairy milkshakes, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Location is difficult to find

Big portions Great atmosphere - Edit

We went with 3 persons after a big climbing session and were really hungr. Thought about taking the vegan tappas and something else but the girl recommended to try with the tappas first. We had some delicious milkshake on the side and had a piece of cake afterwards and each of us was super stuffed! It was so delicious, my two friends are meat eaters and they just loved the food so much.

Pros: Lager portions, Incredibly tasty!, Honest and friendly staff

Brilliant - Edit

I had the buckwheat burger and my husband had the large salad bowl. Quite pricey but that is to be expected in Oslo. Portions are generous and food is nutritious and tasty. The restaurant also uses 50% organic food and is in the process of working to get this number higher.

Also the milkshakes are delicious!

Pros: Delicious, Varied menu

Cons: Service slightly slow

Gourmet vegan - not to be missed! - Edit

I'm just SO GLAD we hunted this place down. This is a cool venue with fabulous wraps and salads, everything so carefully prepared and delicious. Great desserts and interesting drinks too. The atmosphere is calm and friendly.

Pros: Friendly staff, Gourmet tastes, Great options

delicious! enjoy :) - Edit

Worth hunting out. Really good menu and a lovely atmosphere. The food was yummy yummy yummy! Quite chilled venue. I had the black bean burger with some yummy extras and a veg juice. I took some choc raw cake with me and that was just sublime. Highly recommend making some time to head here and support this delicious cafe. They also spoke English as my Norwegian is terrible!

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, good menu range

Cons: a little hidden- but keep looking it's worth it!

I loved it! - Edit

I went there during my trip in Norway and I had the mushroom burger. OHMY, super tasty, the gluten-free focaccia bread was really awesome! the staff is super nice and helpful, everybody speaks perfect english. There is a lovely little food store inside where you can buy vegan organic stuff. You can seat in the veranda with a nice view and enjoy your food :)

Pros: really good food, nice staff and lovely place, loads of options, raw too

Cons: pricey

Great little vegan place - Edit

I just arrived in Oslo and found this place on my Happy Cow app. I ordered the buckwheat burger and an IPA. Both were delicious. There's outdoor seating available too.

Pros: all vegan, delicious food, friendly staff

Cons: Oslo prices

Great vegan restaurant - Edit

A great place for vegan food, especially if you love healthy options, gluten-free, organic and so on. Has both pricy and cheaper options, but is more on the expensive side because of fresh and organic ingredients. Great staff and a nice place to sit down for a meal.

Pros: Great variety, Healthy options, Good atmosphere

Cons: A bit pricy

Good food but the staff are a bit.. - Edit

I have been there once before half a year ago and the service was so-so, so I didn't have too high expectation this time. But still I was disappointed.
We came in the evening and right after we had sat down and were looking at the menus the same waiter who seated us came and was about to serve us two burgers we didn't order (it was for the table next to us but honestly, there were only four tables in the entire restaurant that were in use)

We were told that they are not doing the funky fresh plates anymore (the only dish where you can get falafels), but we asked to get a couple falafels on the side since we saw that they had them on display in the counter. At this time it would be nice if we were told that they were going to charge us extra for it :)

We ordered two buckwheat burgers and were surprised to see that there was no bread?? I went to ask the waitress what had happened and she told us they were out of bread... It would have been nice if she told her that when we were ordering instead of after. We got some hummus and two "puncheboller" to make up for it but that was not until after I had to ask why our dish did not have one of the main components...

The food was good though, interesting use of spices and good with both sweet potato and normal potato wedges on the side. The menu could have been bigger, there were two burgers and a soup to choose from of the main dishes (and the funky fresh plate, but they were not doing that anymore when we came in. If they only do it until a certain time every day then maybe write it on the menu?).

Anyways the food was good, but the service wasn't much to brag about. The waiters seemed like they had no interest in us being there and also came and told us "we are closed now" while we were eating, five minutes before they actually closing. Wouldn't go again.

(tips for owners: give your staff a proper teaching in how to serve well and how to smile :) )

Cons: bad service, our dish came out incomplete, they didnt serve all the food on the menu

delicious! - Edit

My first food experience in Oslo was great! I had a burger as did my partner. The plates were filling. I had the best chocolate milkshake I've ever had. Staff were friendly and accommodating to my non existent Norwegian! I also had a piece of cheesecake and that was the best tasting cheesecake ever.

Pros: location, cheesecake

Vegan heaven (haven) - Edit

I have been here a few times and I loved everything about it. Once I came on a weekday and just took a coffee and watched the river flow by (beauiful park/river view) in a quiet location. The second time I went for lunch on a Sunday. Pretty full of young vegans, some sort of convention? The staff is inspired and knowledgeable, they have their own cook book etc. Funky vegan dishes, good choice in coffee drinks, espresso based and also the bullet proof variety , and probably herbal varieties too. Nothing boring about this vibrant place, good for non-vegans too for your meat free Monday or just a coffee and a cake.
Updated from previous review on Friday November 13, 2015

Updated from previous review on Friday November 13, 2015

Pros: broad variaty of coffee drinks, beautiful location, great view. , Inspired staff

Cons: 10 min walk from "down town"

Vegan Wonderland - Edit

This place is the bomb. Awesome modern atmosphere and on-point burgers, juices, and nice-cream shakes. Best place I've eaten on our three week Norway trip. The staff is cool, friendly, and all around this place is 100% worth a visit!!

Pros: burger is sooo good, atmosphere is modern, bright and comfy, staff is cool!

Cons: none!

Great brugers - Edit

Situated in a very stylish setting, Funky Fresh offered some great options for a small menu. The burgers were tasty and came with some gourmet sides like pickled onions and kimchi. The milkshakes were good but used frozen banana as the base.

Pros: Friendly service, Fast service, Veg!

Hands down, the best - Edit

I ate lunch here with a friend. It's definitely Oslo's best healthy, vegan restaurant. I had the 'Fresh Plate' with their 'raw (green) juice' and he had the 'Burger' with their 'chocolate milk shake' - everything was tasty. We even took away some of their raw balls for desert - yummy!

They are %100 vegan with a handful of raw options. On one of their boards they say they use %50 organic ingredients which isn't too bad considering the stat above say that Norway eats/buys only %5 organic.

Best Vegan Option in Oslo - Edit

While in Oslo I ended up going to Funky Fresh twice! The tofu bacon sandwich was fantastic, and the veggie burger was unique to others I've had. I love that they have several raw and gluten-free options as well. I had two different raw desserts and they were some of the best I've ever had. I was sad that I was not in town while they had the Tapas option so that I could sample more of their food (only after 5pm on certain days).

Pros: Friendly staff, Amazing food, Raw & Gluten-free options

Cons: Dark lighting

Really lovely. - Edit

Wonderful atmosphere and friendly staff. Delicious food and a good variety on menu. We had the two "burger" options and they were great. Large portions and great desserts too.

It was on the pricey side but it's Norway so that's a given.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 11, 2015

Pros: Great location, Good menu, Good quality

Cons: Price

Funky Fresh Food have finally nailed it! - Edit

To put into context I have been trying out Funky Fresh Foods since their earlier catering days. In the past I was very disapointed with the raw food that they served, but today this is not the case anymore. I was a bit hesitant to try their new place due to past experienced but I was blown away by the improved quality of taste, style and design of their food.

Perfect example of healthy dishes that also taste very good. I tried the buckwheat burger, with potatoes and aioli. Decent burger, good consistency, but the potatoes and aioli left the best impression. The cook was very friendly and even gave us some complimentary cold yoghurt like drinks.

I think it is very positive that through out the years Funky Fresh has expanded to include warm meals too. The stuff they offer is diverse and quality food on average. The place can compete with the good vegan restaurants abroad. Recomend anyone who travels to Oslo to give the place a try.

I am a fan now
Updated from previous review on Monday August 10, 2015

Pros: Quality taste, Creativity, Healthy

Cons: Price

Great place to have dinner - Edit

This is absolutely vegan place with delicious food and small store. It has big space and it's possible to seat outside also.
We took 2 big delicious burgers (they were served with fried sweet potatoes and vegetables), tapas (really tasty and big portion for 2 hungry persons :)), falafel with vegetables and milkshakes.
The staff were very friendly and told in English about dishes and ingredients.
We highly recommend this place.

Pros: nice staff, big portions, tasty food

Cons: expensive

Beatiful place, nice staff - Edit

This restaurant has a nice location and very nice interior. Friendly staff. A bit expensive, but worth the money. Their milkshakes, beer and tapas is really good. You should also try their facon-wrap. So yummi,.

Pros: Beautiful location+interior, Organic, Friendly staff

Great all vegan restaurant! - Edit

All vegan and organic food. Serves also rawfood and has several glutenfree options on the menu. Nice enviroment and friendly staff. Seats outside.

The milkshake here is pure happiness in a glass!

One of the few all vegan places in Oslo, but a great place! Recommend a visit here.

The bus stop right outside is called Jacobs Kirke, or it's a short walk from the tram/bus stop Hausmannsgate.

Pros: All vegan, Allergy friendly, Nice staff

Cons: A bit limited menu

Fantastic milk shake - Edit

This is the only all-vegan place to eat in Oslo, as far as I know, and I highly recommend it. I was skeptical at first, not being a big fan of raw, fancy food, but the food and portion size was surprisingly satisfying. Their coffee milk shake is particularly delicious, and I will also recommend their sandwiches and burgers, even though the sandwich bread can be a bit chewy. They have good food for both lunsh and dinner, and also serves cakes, smoothies, milk shakes, coffee and espresso-drinks.

When it comes to their "Funky Fresh plate" that you put together yourself, I think they are a bit skimpy with the protein sources (like falafel balls, grain balls or hummus).

The staff is super friendly and the service is excellent.

Updated from previous review on June 15, 2015

Pros: All-vegan food, Cool but relaxed interior, Fantastic milk shake

Simply delicious! - Edit

We shared the tapas and a burger and everything was super tasty. From buckwheat meatballs to the mind blowing aioli and the burger it was a great vegan feast! Staff was lovely and helpful and when I was waiting for the take out for a friend they offered me the coco crunch dessert. Probably the best vegan treat/dessert my mouth ever witnessed. So leave a bit of space for this love filled treat.

Pros: tasty tasty tasty, optimal portions, great atmosphere

Cons: -

Highly recommended. I love this place - Edit

I have been twice on two separate trips to oslo and it was even better the second time. Food (burger and sweet pot fries) was delicious and substantial and the 'milkshake' was brilliant. Also great relaxing atmosphere overlooking the water. Very welcoming and lovely staff.

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere

Cons: Moderately pricey but comparable

God & allergivennlig mat i fint lokale! - Edit

Vanligvis er det håpløst å være allergisk mot gluten og sukker i tillegg til å være veganer, men på denne cafèen er det enkelt!

I lyst lokale i DogA, med minimalistisk moderne design og god utsikt over Akerselva og grøntområder byr de på kaffe/te/smoothies/juices/Kombucha og ikke minst økologisk vin! (Yeah!)
På matmenyen har de alt fra raw food til grillmat - middager, småretter, kale chips og kaker. Det meste er glutenfritt og uten sukker, noe er raw, men alt er vegansk. (Yeah!)

Venninnen min valgte en te med ingefær og kanel (ekte kanelstang og en diger bit ingefær) som så riktig så flott og innbydende ut. Godt luktet den også, og i følge henne smakte den godt også. Hun likte også gulrotsuppen med foccacia. Til dessert en boks kale chips med hvitløk.

Jeg slo virkelig på stortromma med ovnsbakt scone (som faktisk ble forrett i stedet for dessert) og deretter "big buck burger" av bokhvete, tomat, basilikum,salat og aioli med foccacia brød og søtpotet + vanlig potet i båter ved siden av.

Massevis av smak og nok til å stilne en hylende mage som lengtet sårt etter mat. Saftig og smaksrik burger og herlig krydrede poteter og foccaciaen var rett og slett helt fantastisk. (Yeah!!!! for DIGG glutenfritt brød!!!

Det var litt pesto inni den - skulle gjerne hatt mer av den. Og gjerne en annen saus ved siden av, kanskje? Men pestoen var i hvert fall Den skikkelig god! Aliolien kunne jeg ha klart meg uten. Ble litt feil smak til denne allerde krydrede retten og så var den i overkant hvitløks - sterk (selv for meg som er oppvokst i SPania!)

Betalte 204 kr for middag + scone. En god pris for å være i Norge, synes jeg. Og nå, 5 timer senere er jeg egentlig fremdeles mett.

Kommer helt klart til å dra tilbake dit :)

Godt mulig jeg bestiller den samme retten igjen, men først vil jeg prøve gulrotsuppen og en av foccacia sandwichene + kose meg med den Norgeskjente kokos crunch kulen :) Eller en kanelbolle eller to (som dessverre var utsolgt når jeg var der nå - så bilde av de på facebook i helgen og har siklet siden!!)
Updated from previous review on Monday August 25, 2014

Contributions +16

The Mysterious Whereabouts of Helt Rått - Edit

After pottering up and down Storgata several times on different days looking for no. 25, all we could find was the Buddha Billiards club. In the end we called the number given for the cafe and it turns out the cafe opens only on the first Sunday of every month. I'm sure the food is excellent, but ravenous vegans, beware! :)

Pros: Very helpful person on the telephone

Cons: Hard to find (as not open!)

Return to Oslo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Funky Fresh Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.