First Review by KelseyApple

Good food - Edit

We were just visiting Byron Bay briefly and decided to check out Fundies, I got a samosa and vegan pie, the samosa was really yummy, not too sure about the veggie pie so much but I think that was just personal preference. I also got a piece of the 'Funky Fudge Brownie' it was SO delicious, one of the best brownies I've ever had. There's quite a bit to chose from and lots of yummy treats too, I didn't get a chance to look around the shop very well but it seemed to be pretty good too. I'll definitely pop in again if I'm down that way.

Pros: Friendly staff

Healthy, fresh, easy - Edit

A great little cafe, which is conveniently connected to a wholefoods store with a lot of vegan treats. The cafe is a little cosy, and they're often pretty busy so you have to wait a bit to get your order in, but literally everything is vegan. You can get lots of juices and smoothies, there's no issue with non-dairy milks, and there's lots of easy vegan options like tofu sushi, lasagne, pies, samosas, salads and sweet things like brownies, muffins and raw cakes.
Once you place your order at the counter inside, you can go outside onto the verandah or at a table on the lawn and people watch. A nice place to get a light bite to eat or just a drink. Lots of good options for a good hearty or light lunch, depending on what you feel like. Everything seems to be locally made, which is a bonus.

Pros: Fresh, healthy options, Lots of vegan friendly meals, Lots of seating outdoors

Cons: No clear menu - you have to ask, Small counter area, not good if busy

Good place - Edit

There's quite a few spots in town to do your health food shopping, and for me when I've been in Byron I've shopped both here and at Santos.
Like mentioned in another review, this place does have strange hours (I can't remember though, sorry) and is quite cramped so a bit stressful if the store is busy! They are well stocked in beauty items though, so I was able to get hold of the toiletries I wanted and buy some other small snacks I wanted to try!
Due to their opening hours we never actually managed to eat out the cafe, probably just pot luck to be honest!

Pros: well stocked

Cons: cramped, odd opening hours

A little pricey and bad hours - Edit

Tried to eat at the cafe here on two different days. They closed early the first time due to a power failure and they closed early again when I showed up at 3:55 pm. Pretty annoying. If you're looking for a late lunch or early dinner.

The store is well stocked but messy, cramped and poorly organized. Most snacks are not vegan. Some fake meats in the freezer at the back.

Santos up the street is cleaner, larger and open longer but isn't as well stocked.

Fundamental Foods - Edit

Its quite a strange bit of competition, but Fundamental Foods and Fundies Cafe are just a jump down the road from Santos. They essentially sell the same stuff in their stores, but Fundamental Foods also has a health supplement and body care store in between them, too. Also, there is a Green Garage world foods store just down the road as well that has good shopping. I suggest shopping Fundamental Foods first, then hit Santos, and then Green Garage on the way back to your vacation rental with a kitchen :)

Pros: good selection of organic staples

Best veggie burger in the world! - Edit

I still fantasize about the burgers here (3 years later). With sweet chilli sauce, soy mayonaise, grated carrots and beets, sprouts, the delicious lentil patty, and more; the burger is almost to big to fit all the layers in one bite. And reasonably priced as well for what you get. I went to this restaurant several times during the three weeks I was in Byron and I don't think I ever tried anything else...

Pros: huge, delicious, good value

Return to Byron Bay Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fundies Wholefoods Cafe - Byron Bay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1598 times since Aug 2007.