CLOSED: Fuel: Unpredictably Vegetarian

269-343-0788

2103 S Burdick (at Alcott), Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA, 49001

Set in a former 1950's gas station, Fuel provides signature vegan and vegetarian dishes including the Cuban, American refueled burgerish, pasta, and southern stacks. Extensive raw menu of bacon, bbq, lasagna, and desserts. Sunday brunch include chickenish and waffles, sausagish gravy and biscuits or grits and chilaquiles. Opened in late April 2012. SHUT DOWN/CLOSED LAST DAY JUN 14, 2013.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Raw, Southern American, Latin

First Review by twovegans

Amazing! So glad we found this place! - Edit

Went there for the first time and we were very impressed. Great food, staff was attentive and informative. The food was excellent. My non-vegetarian husband loved it. We laughed about going back every day to try the huge variety of dishes. Would recommend calling for reservations as it is a small seating area. Support this one as it is worthy of keeping around!

Pros: food, atmosphere, staff

Cons: small seating area

I want to like it... - Edit

I've been to Fuel twice, once with a group of friends and for my wedding reception. The food really seems to be hit or miss. The crab cakes, American refueled burger, and empanada special were all great and balanced. However, the pasta dishes and "stacks" are completely bland. The pasta wasn't filling at all and just tasted watery. The Cuban Stack was about 90% beans and didn't come with the listed plantains. The dessert portions range from huge to tiny, with the chocolate cake and strawberry shortcake being very dry. On the upside, the staff is knowledgeable and the chef frequently comes out to greet guests. They are more than willing to make any adjustments necessary (we even got a free empanada since one was burned, even though we didn't notice!)

Their Facebook page recently mentioned some changes so I'm willing to try it again, though. Mainly, I feel it's important to support the area's only 100% vegetarian restaurant.

Be sure to make a reservation as there are less than 10 tables and it can get busy.

Pros: 100% vegetarian, Knowledgeable staff

Cons: Bland food, Expensive

Loved this place! - Edit

Our schedule didn't allow for a dinner at Fuel, so we stopped by for Sunday brunch and were amazed that there was hardly anyone there! The food was outstanding, the staff was very friendly and inviting, and the owner/chef came by our table to chat. We're vegan, so they offered to substitute tortillas since the ones we ordered had butter. Even the 60's soul music playing in the kitchen was fun to listen to. We will definitely return the next time we're in Kalamazoo! Please support this small, local business so that they thrive!

Pros: Friendly staff

Return to Kalamazoo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Fuel: Unpredictably Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.