First Review by ebo

Best vegan full English! - Edit

I love Fuel! There's a great choice of food (and beer!) and the vegan breakfast was fantastic!

I took my (non-veg) parents here and they were happy with their food too.

If you've not been there yet, make the effort to go there and try it out!

Do not eat here if your Vegan - Edit

Two weeks ago we went to this Cafe with our daughter. Been to this cafe about 3 times before.
Ordered chips, and stated that because our daughter has allergies, would not want certain foods.
The waiter came over to us after about 10mins and said are you bothered about the chips being cooked with cheese.
Well yes we are vegan, which we had stated when we made the order.
Do not eat here if you are Vegan even though the menu says vv for Vegan.
They truly should know better being a veggie cafe.
So not happy!
Will not be going there again.

Pros: was good value

Cons: states vegan, not

First visit for ten years and it hasn't changed. - Edit

Visited recently for a lunch out with family and was surprised to see the interior didn't appear to have changed since I was a student.
Vegan options clearly marked on the menu. Good food including a vegan breakfast and falafel wrap.
The atmosphere and the staff are warm and friendly.

Pros: Vegan options marked, Late opening, Friendly staff

Cons: No Kids options

Get the falafel burger - Edit

There's a few decent vegan options on the menu but the best is the falafel burger. The burger itself is excellent and has a yummy salsa sauce, and the hand cut fries it comes with are the best in town. The vegan chocolate cake they do is heavenly but you can feel the pounds going on with each bite. They play pretty cool music mostly and have some nights on from time to time (the quiz is fun). It's pretty decent value - you're looking at about 6 quid for a main.

Vegetarian friends tell me the fried haloumi fish fingers are tasty, too.

Only problem is the other people that go there. I'm okay, it's just the rest of them...

Pros: falafel burger, music, good value

Cons: not a lot of seating (can't eat upstairs, people that go there

Lovely breakfast - Edit

There are a few vegan options on the menu but I've only tried the big breakfast and the cake, both of which are good. The breakfast has a few really nice touches, like homemade spicy beans and sweet potato wedges.
There are usually a couple of vegan cake options, and the smoothies are lovely!

Withington's friendly Vegetarian Cafe bar - Edit

A busy little cafe bar in the Withington area of Manchester. A popular haunt for students. The food although basic, is well made, and you get plenty for your money. Good selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. I often travel the 8 miles from home for my dinner here, because I feel so welcomed :-)

Pros: Friendly, Quick service, Free WiFi

Cons: Can get busy, especially in term time

Excellent Breakfast - Edit

More a bar than a cafe feel but the sort of bar you could sit and chat in all evening. Though a little rough around the edges and cold.

I had the vegan breakfast and it was great. It was well presented, everything tasted good right down to the wilted spinach. It's the sort of food you can tell is made with proper effort and attention even though it's not anything that fancy. If I were to criticise anything it'd be that I'd like more/bigger sausages exchanged for a few less wedges.

Service was friendly and food was made quick.

Veggie comfort food heaven - Edit

Finally a place that does stodgy veggie comfort food. Too commonly veg/vegan places are health food, which don't get my wrong I love, but sometimes when you're hungover or just in need of some comfort food this is the place to go!

A legendary vegan hangout... - Edit

A lovely place to go and hang out, especially for weekend breakfast or lunch. The staff are consistently wonderful and vegan options well cooked, tasty and low cost.

If it busy though, do double check they know you are vegan - sometimes they make simple mistakes (like bringing mayo or non-vegan dressing with the plate of food), but this doesn't effect the pleasure of the eating experience!

Highly recommend, once you have been you will be back.

Pros: Vegan, Low cost, Good choice of food

Cons: Quite unhealthy menu!, Limited seating

Very tasty - Edit

As some people have mentioned it is sometimes hard to get a table, however it is well worth it when you do. Quite a cosy little place with sofas to have a quiet drink.

The food is outstanding and service is great. They have a nice range of soft drinks as well as interesting beers. The full veggie breakfast with extras and real strawberries milkshake are amazing any time of the day and they always have brilliant soup of the day.

Live music happens upstairs and the place is really thriving bar at night.

They also have free wifi for customers

Pros: Great hangout, Varied, interesting menu, Well priced

Cons: Bit cosy when full

Great Veggie Cafe/Bar; Not Always Great for Vegans - Edit

Fuel is a lovely little cafe/bar based in South Manchester. Great atmosphere, great events, fun weekly quiz and a great menu. As a vegan I do love to eat here but the vegan cake never seems to be in stock, and the vegan options are not always fantastic. However, top points for trying; the menu changes every now and then so hopefully the vegan options will get better in time :)

Can't believe I haven't eaten here yet - Edit

Fuel's location next to Moon (one of the best Indian restaurants in Manchester) means my wife and I never end up eating here, only stopping in for pre- or post-dinner drinks/dessert. The sticky toffee pudding is amazing, and the drink selection is very nice. The downstairs is nice and cozy while the upstairs opens up and becomes a very big place that has weekly open mic nights. Definitely need to go back to eat there sometime though...

Buzzing Atmosphere - Edit

Must say I agree with all the previous posts about Fuel. The sweet potato wedges were excellent and my partners goats cheese wrap trumped my quorn fajita. Very filling and reasonable pricing.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great atmosphere

Cons: busy, a little cramped

Love it! - Edit

Oooh Fuel, great place. Definitely one of the nicest bars in South Manchester, good music, friendly staff, and comfy sofas. The food (served until 9pm) is simply great - my favourite is the potato/sweet potato wedges combo which comes with super tasty hummous, but the veggie breakfast, soups, and basically everything else are just as good. The prices are fair, too. Worth the trip if you're in the city centre (just get on the Magic Bus), as there's always something on in the evening - the quiz on Tuesdays is good fun!

Pros: tasty food, cheapish

Cons: can be very busy

Great food and atmosphere - Edit

Called in at Fuel for a late lunch. The location is good, not far from the curry mile. Was taken with the relaxed atmosphere and lots of choice on the menu, about 26 items on the menu of which 13 were vegan or could be made vegan plus a daily specials board. Got lost on the way from other side of Manchester but the chatty helpful staff said that if I'd arrived earlier I'd have had a long wait (such is the popularity of Fuel) so no matter!

Was a little late for the breakfast (they finish at 4pm)so went for the falfel burger and wasn't disappointed. Big and delicious burger in a large soft seeded bun, with tasty relish on the burger, legendary chips, great hummus and side salad with olives. Great value too for £6.00. If I lived in the area would definitely be a local at night for a drink and a bite to eat! Performances advertised and chips and quiz night monday. Games available at the bar.

Pros: very very tasty, alcohol served, much choice/great atmosphere

Gorgeous - Edit

I used to live a few streets away from Fuel, and me and my friends treated it like our living room! It's got such a cosy feel to it, and the staff are usually pretty friendly (although sometimes you get the sense that the customers are getting in the way of their conversation, but it just adds to the relaxed, hippy vibe!).

The food is great, really filling and so delicious. And the chips are totally amazing!

And even though it's vegetarian, it appeals to meat-eaters too. All of my housemates ate meat yet they love Fuel as much as I do, as does my boyfriend. So it's a great place to go with non-veggie people.

Pros: great chips, really cosy, free wi-fi

Cons: sometimes hard to get a table, the staff can be a little forgetful

Fun bar/cafe with upstairs performing area - Edit

We stopped here on the road to Liverpool and found free parking behind the buildings. You have to ask what can be done vegan, the menu says "everything vegan and vegetarian" but not what is vegan, aside from the Vegan Breakfast is labeled. We went with the Burrito w/o cheese our sour cream and they added a side of hummus for us. The burrito was outstanding and the hummus was even better. Everyone in the cafe is very chatty and we struck up conversations with all around us. Good times, I highly recommend trying it out!

Pros: burrito, hummus

Lovely cafe, great music, good food. - Edit

More of a cafe in the day, and bar at night. The place is pretty small, which can make it difficult to get a table at a busy weekend lunchtime, but the size of it adds to its cool, bohemian (sorry, I hate using that word) character. There's also plenty of interesting paintings around the place. The food is pretty good, with a bit of a Mexican/breakfast theme and its not too expensive either. The breakfast burrito is a favourite of mine and their hand-made chips are really something special! I recommend going there for the evening some time too, as they often have some exciting little bands upstairs.

Pros: Good value, Cool decor, The chips!

Cons: Very small and often busy

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fuel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4753 times since Aug 2007.