CLOSED: fuel at the petre dish

39 Taupo Quay, Wanganui, New Zealand

A vegan cafe located inside a yoga studio. You will find whole food plant based/gluten free dishes, smoothies, juices and tea in a relaxed setting. Much of the fresh produce is sourced within a 100 mile radius of the city to encourage not only growth in the area but that more people consider growing fruit and vegetables. Organic dry goods and groceries are supplied by Ceres and Chantal. Confirmed closed, 2016.

Categories: Vegan, Western, Salad bar, Juice bar

First Review by Yvette Rigby

I've been through Wanganui several times recently and this very promising cafe is always closed. I met with a local Vegan who told me its been shut a year or more now.

Modern light cafe - Edit

Stopped in at Whanganui on our way north. It added an hour to our journey to come here but it was worth it.

My family are all vegan so we were very excited when the waitress told us the cafe was all vegan too! We had a range of dishes - pancakes, sesame balls, brischetta etc). It was all lovely. It is 'healthy' vegan food with a focus on refined sugar free and raw and unrefined grains. I am pretty sure everything is gluten free too.

We loved the little chocolate balls for dessert and there was a lovely cheesecake too.

It was packed when we visited and we were lucky to get a table. The setting is modern and light with the cafe at the front and the yoga studio behind. Street parking was easy to find and not pricey.

Pros: modern light setting, wide variety on the menu, friendly staff

Healthy gem in Whanganui - Edit

Visited Whanganui over Easter weekend, and was excited to hear that a vegan cafe had recently opened up.

The ambience is great - modern, light and fresh. The yoga studio looks even better, with a riverside view. The menu is very healthy, with everything being vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, and mostly organic and local. Given that, the prices aren't too bad - nothing is over $10, although the portions are a little small.

We ordered the fruit & nut smoothie (raspberry & cacao with chia and almond milk), the lasagna (lentil & pumpkin with homemade cashew cheese), three of the salads (the pesto salad is so good!) and two bliss balls. Everything was delicious & energizing.

If you're visiting Whanganui, I'd suggest a morning yoga class followed by brunch at the cafe. An unexpected find :)

Pros: Gorgeous location & ambience, Healthy, fresh food, Yoga!

Cons: Portions a little small

Has CLOSED: fuel at the petre dish closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.