FuD

Contact 816-785-3454

813 W 17th St (at Summit), Kansas City, Missouri, USA, 64108

Eclectic parlor serving vegan food with raw food and gluten-free options. Includes raw tacos, rice "meat" and cashew cheese, soft serve cashew ice cream with cacao fudge sauce, pulled jack BBQ sandwich, raw ice cream, and vegan donuts. Brunch on Saturday. Previously order at the counter and change to table service. Operating since Apr 2010 in Kansas City Westside neighborhood. Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar

First Review by allycat

Grand finale of three great Kansas City veg restaurants! - Edit

I recently spent three days in Kansas City - my first ever - with two local resident longtime friends who are perhaps best described as flexitarians. They made a point to research local veg restaurants in anticipation of my visit - and FuD was the grand finale of three they picked for our meals out. The menu was extensive and very creative - offering approximately ten options each under the headings Appetizers, Salads, Raw Living, Cold Sandwiches, Hot Sandwiches, Stove Top, Saute, Latin, and Sides. Everything was organic, with gluten-free options available. I was in the mood for something light, so I ordered the apple kale salad - super fresh, with a simple but thoughtful combination of ingredients and delicious dressing. My omnivore friends were very happy with their sandwich choices as well. Prices were very reasonable; decor and staff were both great fun.

Pros: Extensive, creative menu, Great value, Fun atmosphere

homemade goodness - Edit

Fud is a cool little lunch spot in KC. The sandwiches were outstanding especially the mock tuna melt. Most if not all of the ingredients seemed to be homemade and the atmosphere was unique. The smoothies were different and delicious and the ice cream we tried for dessert was great! If you are looking for a great tasting, quick and affordable meal, Fud is the place for you!

amazing! - Edit

Fantastic food, extensive menu with lots of different options - including an extensive Mac and cheese section. The tuna Mac was to die for. Good service, bright, clean atmosphere.

Pros: selection, specials, prices are good

Cons: cash only

Top of the Line - Edit

This is the Best Full Vegan Restaurant in the Kansas City area. The food is delicious and all Organic. There is a wide variety of choices, both cooked and raw. There is also a wide variety of drinks as well. The atmosphere is wonderful.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 22, 2015

Pros: Friendly wait staff and cooks, All Organic and they use local farmers, Wide variety of choices

Cons: Closed on Monday

they knocked it out of the ball park! - Edit

We hardly give a five rating for anything but this one was much deserved. We ordered the sweet chip pickles, tempeh nuggets, apple kale salad, mac & trees, jack bbq, phishwich & ended with the snicker doodle stacker sundae! All incredibly tasting and our two little girls loved it all (sans the jack bbq which was a little too much flavor for them). And the "small space" comments I read is not that small at all. Cozy. Perfect for us. And the decor is super thoughtful and spot on.

Maybe the kitchen convo could have been a bit quieter as we sat at the table closest to the open kitchen and counter and even with loud music, the back of the house convo was a little distracting. Although I enjoyed some solo vocal acts at times. And of course I appreciated the comradely vibe going on between the front and the back of the house (staff...I )just wouldn't have minded that it would have been a little less. Just my tiny preference. So that said maybe a 4.5 stars.

The Journey:
traveling across America dining & reporting on exceptional vegan!
Instagram @tweeyoga #thejourneyisthedestinationtour

FuD - Excellent! - Edit

FuD is the best vegan restaurant I have ever been to! I will plan my next vacation to just happen to pass through Kansas City, Missouri so I can eat there again. So many items to choose from. YEAH! Great job!

Solid vegan junkfood - Edit

First off, cash only... and SLOW service. It's worth the wait if you're in the mood for it. Not a fan of the jackfruit, which I seem to be in the minority. Their nachos, tofu nuggets, and sandwiches are fantastic.

Pros: Gets that unhealthy fix out of the way, Food is very good

Cons: We spend too much money here., SLOW, Cash only... so annoying.

Decent vegan restaurant! - Edit

Nice hip and enjoyable vegan cafe in Kansas City. It is a pretty small place but the people running the place are pretty friendly. Decent prices and plenty of things to pick from.

I gotta say my favourite part of this place are the desserts! My share of favourites were the cashew cream ice cream and sweet toasted loaf with maple syrup. I was not too crazy about the taste of the jack fruit meals but it was servicable and I appreciate the gluten free alternative.
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 07, 2015

Updated from previous review on Sunday June 07, 2015

Pros: Desserts!, Price, Friendly staff

Cons: Small space

Ecclectic! - Edit

We were driving from Colorado back home to Illinois so after searching Happy Cow for dining options, decided to make the stop at FuD, and was not disappointed. The menu is extensive to say the least! GPS took us right to it. Was surprising it was was so small, but then again, ecclectic is the appropriate word. The food was a decent sized portion, however luckily they had dessert on the menu which we had to try, and was glad we did. We left full and happy.

Pros: Many choices, Excellent food, All vegan dining experience

good food - Edit

just fun place to sit and eat vegan based food even if your not a full out vegan u will really like this place . getting a bigger should be on the list of things to get done but im still a fan.

Cons: more space

wonderful fud food! - Edit

Every time I'm in the Kansas City, Fud is a must-visit. The menu changes a bit over time but it's always good. Loved everything from out last visit: the tune-rah melt, smoky apple mac 'n cheese, nachos and fried eggy which. And the cashew soft serve with chocolate sauce. Also the space is adorbs!

Pros: it's delicious, it's vegan

Great food; awesome vegan spot in KC - Edit

Fud is definitely my favorite all-vegan restaurant in KC. I first visited back in 2011 when searching for a fully vegan restaurant to take visiting family members. I have been back on numerous occasions since then (even visiting every weekend for a while) and have noticed positive changes regarding service and cleanliness. If you are in a hurry, I would suggest avoiding eating here during peak times (after 7pm daily or during brunch on Saturdays). The restaurant is also a bit small so be prepared to wait if you're bringing a party of 4 or more.

As for the food, I honestly have not had anything that I did not enjoy! Some highlights include: Nachos w/ WildMild filling, Fried Eggywich, EggySalad, Jackfruit BBQ/reuben, Mac&Cheese, & Cashew Soft Serve w/ Cacao syrup! They also recently expanded their menu Fall 2014 and have many many more options than those mentioned above. Have an open mind and don't be afraid to try something new!

Pros: Unique food, Reasonable pricing, Portions

Cons: Service, Cleanliness

poor service, bad food - Edit

The atmosphere of the place was great and the waitress was friendly but neglectful. We ordered the BBQ and cashew milkshake and ended up walking out. Very disappointed. Very expensive mistake.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: service, food, drinks

Not very clean - Edit

My first visit: I had to return a glass because it was covered with lip stick
Second visit 5 July 2104:
1. One of the cooks, while wearing gloves he dropped some salad on the floor. He picked it up and took it to the trash and continued mixing a salad. He never changed his gloves or washed his hands.
2. While taking food to a table the waitress dropped avocado cream stuff on the floor. The same guy came and cleaned it with his bare hands and immediately picked a salad and took it to a table. I confronted him. He seems shocked and did go wash his hands. I can't imagine what happens when customers are not present.
3. My bill came to $25 and change. I gave her $30 and while getting my change-she stated “you don't tip", I said I always tip. She went to say how hard they work to prepare food. I explained to situation to her 1 & 2. She never apologized all she wanted was her tip. She was not customer friendly, so I did not tip.
4. The music is so loud you can't carry on a decent conversation.
5. I will not be going back again.
6. The food was just ok...

I've been vegan 20 years and try to support local vegan restaurants, but this place is off my list for good.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 09, 2014

Pros: food is just ok

Cons: music too loud, don't accept credit cards, don't wash their hand. not very clean

the best BBQ!!! - Edit

I love Fud!!! I get to visit a couple of times a year. My favorite is the BBQ jackfruit. It's by far the best I've ever had. The Mac n cheez will not disappoint!!! The ice cream is yummy too! Awesome place and awesome staff!!! Can't say enough positives!!!

GuD FuD - Edit

I absolutely LOVE this place. I drive cross country at least once a year from Denver to Jersey, and I always make a point to stop in for some jackfruity-goodness!

This place is a small cafe located on a little side street and can be a bit difficult to find if you're from out of town, but it is well worth the hunt. The staff is always fantastic, friendly, and helpful and to food! Wow.

I've been all over the menu and my favorites include the jackfruit reuben, nachos, and the mac&cheese. Gluten-free, vegan mac & cheese that is to die for.

They also have a number of really tasty raw items on their menu and if you can save room for it, their in-house made cashew ice cream is heavenly!

Oh, and if you're gluten-free as I am, you'll find no shortage of options. Gluten free pasta for the mac & cheese as well as gluten free brown rice tortillas for the sandwiches!

This place is CASH ONLY so be prepared for that, and come hungry!
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 12, 2014

Pros: Incredibly delicious food, Great staff, Totally vegan

Cons: a bit pricy

AWESOME FOOD!!! - Edit

My husband and I ate there yesterday and all I can say is AMAZING!!! It's a small restaurant with minimal seating but would be worth a wait! Service was also excellent.

Pros: great food, great service, good value

Cons: not the best parking

Original, Creative and Delicious All-Vegan Food - Edit

I stopped at this restaurant while on a road trip from Wisconsin to Texas and again on the way back. Dining at Füd was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.The food is fantastic, the milkshakes are awesome, the desserts are scrumptious.
I cannot say enough good things about the menu. Everything on it looks so appealing. And if the meals I had are anything to go by, every item on the menu is definitely worth trying. If I lived in KC, and money were no object, I would eat at Füd every single day.

Pros: Great Food, Cosy atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Cash only. Credit cards not accepted.

great comfort food - Edit

who knew? I had a bbq sandwich, mac and cheez and topped it off with a sundae!!!! It was all wonderfully good. Such a pleasant surprise to find in Kansas City. I wasn't even expecting to find an all vegan place here. What a great treat! I only wish I was here longer so I could try their whole menu. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

Yummmm - Edit

FuD is located in an old storefront filled with quirky charm. It has the original tin ceiling, but is eclectic. One wall is painted metallic gold and boasts a plaque of the Om symbol. another wall is covered in bright vertical stripes. There are big, colorful comfy cushions in the window seats which are half the seating for 2 of the tables.
There is an outdoor seating area also on a raised deck to the side.

Pros: reasonable prices, great food, intimate relaxed setting

Cons: only takes cash

So Good! - Edit

Visited FuD back in January when we visited my boyfriend's friend who lives in the area. My boyfriend is a meat eater, his friend is a vegetarian, and I brought a friend who is also a vegetarian. I ordered the nachos (amazing) and the fried eggywich (my friend said tasted exactly like an egg). Boyfriend's friend got the tofu nuggets to share and the dipping sauce was yumtastic. He and my friend both ordered the phish wich. It was also very good and definitely had a fishy taste. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is awful at choosing vegan food because he it too scared I suppose... He ordered the avocado wich and was disappointed when it was basically a salad on bread. The sandwich was good, but nothing to write home about.

Reminds me of NYC - Edit

The space really does bring to mind a little place in the village. The online menu is very helpful. The cons aren't really complaints, but things to be aware of before visiting. Looking forward to my next trip to KC.

Pros: yummy food, large menu, local, organic, eco

Cons: a bit slow when busy, cash only

Very Creative and Yummy - Edit

I went to FUD for brunch on a Saturday while visiting KC. I was a bit skeptical of all of the jackfruit meat, so I ordered the tofu breakfast burrito. It was very good, but did not have a lot of vegetables and was nothing to get too excited about. We got a side of the spicy tofu nuggets, which again, were perfectly fine, but nothing too special. They were busy and the service was quite slow.
However, my husband ordered a taco with bbq jackfruit, and it was so good! I really regretted not ordering a dish using the jackfruit. My friend got the mac and cheese w/jackfruit and it was quite tasty also.
Even our picky friend who is skeptical of all things vegan found his grilled cashew cheeze sandwich to be good.
I wished I would have had room for dessert bc my hubby's caramel and almond shake tasted divine!
This will be a must-visit for us the next time we visit KC, way before Eden Alley!

Pros: Creative, Tasty Food, Nice atmosphere, Jackfruit meat!

Cons: Slow Service, Cash Only

Jack fruit is amazing! - Edit

I had never eaten jack fruit before and my non-veg boyfriend absolutely loved the "chicken" jack fruit taco. The mac n cheese was also delicious and the side of vegetables was amazing. The portions were perfect sized, especially given the price. I had a vanilla chip shake to go and it was delicious and worth far more than $6! The only issue we had was that there was only one waitress and the service was very slow.

Pros: Creative menu, Cute atmosphere, Reasonable prices

Cons: REALLY LONG WAIT, Small

Creative! - Edit

Went here while on vacation with my mom and a friend of hers. The place was absolutely packed and service was understandably a little on the slow side. Our waitress was very nice and helpful with all my mom's food allergies. The menu is very creative and doesn't rely on processed substitutes for meat and cheese. I ordered the nachos with the chicken flavored jackfruit, which was really good (never had jackfruit as a meat substitute before). I also had a plain cheese quesadilla with salsa; the cheese is made with cashews and goji and very tasty. I also ordered the barbeque sandwich, which was good but a little too spicy for my sensitive palate. The cashew ice cream is AMAZING! Get it, no matter how full you are! I'd definitely go back here to try more items.

Pros: Creative Menu, Cashew Ice Cream

Cons: Very crowded seating, Very Noisy

Homemade goodness - Edit

Food was excellent. We had the tuneRahh with salad. Also had the tofu salad sandwich. Both were delish. The cashew ice cream was soooo good. Wish I had some now. Also had the tuneRahh on a collard leaf that was totally awesome. This place is really, really good. If you're hungry in Kansas City, Mo then I suggest you go there and eat. The owner Heidi was very friendly and helpful. My husband enjoyed the food so much we had to take 16 scoops of the tuneRahh with us lol. Everything looks just like it does on the website too. Not faking there. Wish we had one in Orlando, Florida like this. Cashew ice cream! I have to go home and make some now. In all I can only say yummy, yummy, YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: clean, fast, friendly

Never knew raw could be so good! - Edit

Fud is a raw and vegan restaurant. Everything was also organic. If your image of raw (or vegan) food is dull and unappetizing, you will be most pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere relaxed. I had the raw spring taco which was amazingly delicious. It consisted of homemade raw, vegan "cheese", "sour cream" and filling (made from wild rice which had a fantastic flavor and texture)and fresh homemade guacamole wrapped up in a collard green. The "cheese" and "sour cream" were better than any other vegan ones I've ever had. Simply awesome! The side of eggy salad was also a delight. My husbands grilled tofu sandwiches was one of the best I've ever tasted.... perfectly grilled and dressed. Be sure to save room for dessert. The sweet stack is a vegan brownie topped with vegan cashew "ice cream," organic raw hot fudge, nuts and goji berries. It was creamy, cold and perfect. Hard to believe it's not full fat dairy! Prices were extremely reasonable with entrees ranging between $5.00 and $8.00. I highly recommend their red cooler ice tea which was also excellent. The staff was friendly (the owner even came out to chat with us and was very friendly) and the restaurant was clean. The only draw back is that it took a while for the food to arrive, which was to be expected since everything's freshly prepared after it's ordered. I felt it was well worth the wait, but be aware of this if you're in a hurry. They are currently only open for lunch, except for dinner service on Friday's.

Pros: Raw/Vegan/Organic, Delicious, Reasonably priced

Cons: wait time for food

Return to Kansas City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has FuD closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8106 times since May 2010.