Frisch Compassionate Eatery

Contact 801-906-8277

145 East 1300 South Ste 201, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84115

Opened summer 2012, previously at 135 E 1300 S and moved to the current location in early 2014. Makes all-vegan cuisine and baked goods. Sample menu items include a sesame chickn wrap, spice mac-n-cheez, and daily specials. Full vegan coffee bar. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Meggie and Ben

So good! - Edit

Just found this gem but instantly fell in love! The people are so great, menu is kind of small but varied, daily specials, food is awesome! They have great lunch/dinner options and baked goods that are too yummy to resist.

Pros: So good - great menu, Daily specials, Baked goods

inconsistent - Edit

I really think consistency is important at a restaurant and I just don't feel like Frisch has that. Some of their stuff is great, but others are just OK. Like the mac n cheese, I can make that better at home. And I don't even use vegan butter or anything. You think a restaurant could make a great vegan mac. Maybe the spicy version is way better.
The salads and soups are really damn good though. I don't get those often at restaurants. Sometimes the specials are really good, other times OK. The desserts are good, although really indulgent.
Staff is super nice and I love the atmosphere. The vegan imagery, literature, etc is super great. I like the discount for posting on social media too.
I will try it a third time, but I hope my friends or I won't be disappointed.

Pros: great staff and atmosphere, variety of options

Cons: inconsistency, moderate prices

Yes Please! - Edit

This was one of my first stops after becoming vegan and it definitely opened my eyes and showed me that I can still eat whatever the hell I want and you sacrifice nothing when you become vegan. Great food! Great staff! Great restaurant overall! I drive over a half hour just to eat here!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 29, 2015

Pros: Delicious food, obviously (Their F***ing Oreos , Close to Downtown SLC and a Trax Station, Great and Friendly Staff!

A MUST visit stop in Salt Lake City - Edit

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Salt Lake City. The owners and staff are wonderful, kind, and make everyone feel welcome. The food is delicious for vegans and others. It is a great place to take someone for lunch, or for their first vegan meal out. It is in fact the first vegan restaurant I ate at in Salt Lake City myself. I've been hooked ever since.

They usually have a special, as well as their standard menu. Some of my favorites are the "Fancy Boy" wrap, and the nachos. They also have a great coffee bar, as well as a display case of treats made from Cakewalk Bakery for dessert.

The location is bright, happy, and worth finding. There is no sign at the top of the business, so look for the signs on the windows. If you would like ice for your water - just ask, and they'll get you some.

Pros: Delicious Food, Good Size Portions, Friendly Staff

Good experience! - Edit

Customer service was excellent, a very cozy quaint place! I had an amazing salad which I really enjoyed and their dillos are also quite good along with their brownies! The only thing that I wasn't too thrilled with was their spicy chicken wrap. I found that it was way too much chicken, I could not eat that much and the flavor was rather boring for me, it just tasted like pepper. It was though, beautifully prepared. I would have preferred more veggies and perhaps something that would have neutralized the overly pepper taste, perhaps cheese or some kind of mayo.. not sure.

Pros: Awesome tempeh salad, Great service and ambience, Lovely desserts

Cons: not a fan of the spicy chicken wrap

Great Find - Edit

During a recent trip to SLC we tried Frisch and liked it so much we returned for a second visit. The food was good, staff very friendly and the service quick. Hope to eat their again someday.
Updated from previous review on Friday March 27, 2015

Pros: Nice setting, Good Food, Friendly staff.

Hidden gem- awesome salads & good prices! - Edit

I was traveling and looking for a lunch with real veggies (no iceberg) and this eatery was perfect! I am vegan, and eat low soy and low wheat. I called ahead, a meal to-go, and got the 3 salad combo: tuNO, tempeh kale and quinoa black bean. I do not like tempeh usually but this was so tasty i ate it all! The tuNO salad relieved me from my seafood craving (ive been struggling with for months now)! The TuNO is made from chickpeas and seaweed, yum! I would definately recommend these salads (all made with fresh spring greens- no iceberg!).
The order was ready upon my arrival and the staff were super friendly. Though im not a local, i will definately stop here next time im traveling thru.

Good organic eats - Edit

Frisch offers a diverse enough menu that most people should be able to find something appealing. I enjoyed the nachos and the special wrap of the day.

The fact that most of their produce is local and organic is very much appreciated, and earns them a fifth happy cow.

Enjoy!

Pros: Uses mostly local and organic produce, all vegan

Friendly Staff but Fake Meat/Soy-Heavy Menu - Edit

I stopped in at Frisch Compassionate Eatery twice during a recent business trip to Salt Lake City. The first time was during the dinner hour. When we entered, the staff greeted us warmly. However, I was with a friend who looked over the menu and chose not to stay. Her comment was that the menu was more of a lunch than a dinner menu. It's true, there were a lot of salads and wraps on the menu.

About a week later, I came back again. It was a rainy day, I was very hungry, and was looking forward to a great hot vegan meal. I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed. The dinner entree items -- i.e., items other than salads and wraps -- were very soy-heavy. There was a preponderance of fake meat items such as "soy chicken" which I don't care for.

I ended up choosing the chili. Sadly, it was very, very dry. I was embarrassed to mention this to the staff and quietly poured a few tablespoons of my tea into it too loosen it up. Maybe I should have tried one of the other menu offerings. From the review, the "soy chicken" seems to be popular with the locals.

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere and decor, All vegan

Cons: Very soy/fake meat dependent menu, menu is more of a lunch than dinner menu

Amazing! - Edit

Oh my god! This place is so amazing. Great service, friendly workers, and the food is to die for. If you come to Salt Lake, you NEED to eat here and at least try some of their yummy goodies!

Love it - Edit

I was here last year, and I will absolutely be back if I'm ever in SLC again. The food is tasty, and the staff was really nice, the waiter actually stopped by my table for a little while (I was eating alone) and had a pleasant conversation. Check it out!

Pros: friendly staff, good food, nice vibe

YUM!!! - Edit

My family and I just ate at this amazing restaurant and can't wait to return. My husband and I loved what we ordered and what the other ordered. My son thought the Mac and cheese was delicious! We also tried the deserts and thought they were amazing!

Pros: friendly staff, great food , good value for cost

Another Great Vegan Restaurant! - Edit

This place smelled fantastic from the street and did not disappoint. Even my 14-year-old is hooked. I like the curried tofu salad and he dug the nachos. We also liked the Dillos, which are super-yummy vegan versions of Twinkies.

Pros: Good food, Fun decor, Family owned and operated

Easily the Best in SLC - Edit

I have been to Frisch a couple of times now, and it has been 5+ stars every time! They are excellently priced, great quantity and quality of food, easily accessible location, amazing staff, diverse menu that they are willing to alter to fit any dietary restrictions (such as GF), their produce is organic and locally sourced.. I could go on.
Frisch Compassionate Eatery is easily the best vegan restaurant in SLC. I will forever continue to give them my undying support!

Pros: Organic and Locally Sourced, Amazing Staff Offering a Diverse Menu, Immaculate Quality and Quantity of Food

Fresh - Edit

I love how fresh this place is. The prices are ok. 8 oz portions are usually $4 and 16 oz portions are usually $8. Most things are gonna be in that range. I was able to get some nachos at $7 and they totally blew vertical out of the water as far price goes. Extra Add-ons are reasonable at $1.50 (ie soy chicken on your nachos). Wish the portions were a bit bigger for the price.

Would Recommend to anyone! - Edit

There is a reason that this all Vegan Restaurant is attracting new customers is obvious once you experience Frisch Compassionate Eatery. Fresh food, Fun Environment, Owned and Operated by great people.

I love the Fancy Boy Wrap and the Mac and Cheeze. Don't forget to pickup a Cakewalk treat while you are there!

Pros: Fresh , Inexpensive, Local and Family Owned by great people

We Love Frisch! - Edit

One of the first things I loved about Frisch was seeing the whole family working together! They are very kind and friendly and the food is delicious! My husband LOVES the BBQ wrap and goes there often for lunch. We just went for Saturday brunch a couple weeks ago and the biscuits and gravy were absolutely fantastic! I also LOVE that they offer gluten free options as my daughter is gluten free.

Pros: gluten free options, inexpensive, great food

Sweet place - Edit

On our visit to SLC my husband and I tried this place once, and it was good. We got some sort of wrap, and the special which was tacos. Very tasty food. Very friendly people!

Pros: tasty food, friendly people, cute building

Cons: small portions

Finally Fresh Food - Edit

This place was great if you're in the mood for fresh food. I had the salad sampler and highly recommend it. My husband had a wrap that came with these tasty, little chips.

I'd definitely go back! I LOVE salad!

Pros: all vegan, great salad, rotating soup

Cons: not many hot food items

Frisch - great atmosphere, people, and FOOD! - Edit

I LOVE Frisch. I don't know where to begin. You walk in the door and are hit with colors and smiles. The atmosphere there is always upbeat, helpful, and happy. The food choices are amazing and easily customizable. My favorite is the Technicolor Tempeh Salad and their Veggie Wrap with the sesame soy chicken added - you can't go wrong with the bean spread you choose, but the curry one is amazing.

They have daily specials, baked goods from a vegan local bakery, and provide fresh, delicious, and earth friendly food. If you like their Facebook page, they are brilliant and keeping you updated on their specials and any changes to the menu etc.

Lastly, I want to talk about their to-go option. I'm a busy woman and love the fact that I can call them up quickly and my food is usually ready in 15 minutes or less. Often much less. They know my name and are happy ever time I come in! I love FRISCH!

Pros: Price, Variety, Atmosphere

Cons: NONE!

This was pretty dank - Edit

I liked this place... It just opened up, but they were good. I tried there spicy Mac in cheze, it was pretty dank.
I'd like to come here again honestly... If there's any hungry veggie hippies, then c'mon down to this place. You get decent portions for the price too.

Pros: Portions, Location, Food

Cons: None really

Amazing! - Edit

This has quickly become my favorite restaurant. The food is so so good, it really puts me in a good mood. My carnivore hubby names their vegan nachos as his favorite food now. The owners are fantastic and friendly. I tell everyone I know to go eat at Frisch!

Love this place! - Edit

Awesome food, great owners. Their food, beyond being vegan, is super healthful and tasty. I love their wraps and salads. They have new specials on a daily basis and love to get creative with food. If you're looking for an inexpensive, healthy, yummy lunch look no further! Plus the interior is cheery and bright. A definite favorite!

Oh, and they cook with soy curls! The only place in Utah you can get them.

Pros: Healthy, Good options, Cool owners (family owned)

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Frisch Compassionate Eatery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8333 times since Jul 2012.