Fringe Club - Colette's

Contact 25217251

2/F, 2 Lower Albert Rd, Central, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

Serves meat, vegan options available. One of the venues in The Fringe Club is named Colette's which offers a 100% vego buffet lunch during the week. Cost includes tea or coffee. The other menus in The Fringe Club are omnivorous.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by sglcklch

The Fringe Club, Hong Kong - Edit

I regret to report the following. This is lovely venue with all sorts of interesting events that take place in the Fringe Club. There's also a very nice bar. The manager is a really nice guy. However as a place for eating I can't endorse it currently.

The reason I say that is that on the menu it clearly states:-

* Thai Vegetarian Curry

On asking the server to check with the kitchen it transpires that the kitchen staff add fish sauce to the preparation of this dish.

I am also advised that the veg buffet they offer at lunch time doesn't use cheese that is without slaughtered animal rennet.

The position re the above changes I will be delighted to update this review. As mentioned its a lovely building with a really nice manager. Its such a shame the kitchen staff need to understand basics re vegetarianism.

Updated from previous review on Monday June 15, 2015

Cons: Misunderstood vegetarian concepts

Risky - vegans beware look at the food carefully. - Edit

Only full members can reserve tables.

Non-members can walk in & hope that there is space.

I often have to go there for meetings.

Not at all ideal for vegans - cow juice based dishes prevail!

The food is prepared in a meaty kitchen so I am very very careful as to what I chose from the buffet & I stick mainly to the simple salads.

The cooked dishes may well contain meaty sauces - even though the staff consider them 'veg'.

The breads almost certainly contain milk & perhaps other animal fats also.

I eat to be polite & sociable but I don't 'enjoy' here.

Love this place - Edit

First off, I don't think veg-friendly is the appropriate category because the buffet itself is 100% vegetarian; but then they also serve meat/fish upon order with an extra charge... so technically it doesn't really fall into the vegetarian category either. Carnivore-friendly would be the closest description I guess :)

Back to the food, I have eaten here twice and enjoyed it a lot both times. Theme varies every day: Monday is global, Tuesday Italian, Wednesday Thai, Thursday Asian, Friday global. First time I came it was global, loved it; second time Thai, even better! The tom yum was SO good. I quite like Thai food, but vegetarian Thai is rather hard to come by as it's not really a vegetarian-friendly cuisine. The Thai theme totally satisfied my desire.

Price is about HK$100 per person, tea/coffee included. Pay at the counter to get a plate and you can go help yourself. The buffet does not have a lot to offer, but it's adequate and everything is yummy. They have bread, two three kinds of cheeses, salad, cut-up assorted fruits, maybe an appetizer/snack, a soup, and two main dishes with rice or some kind of carbs depending on the theme on that day.

The setting was light and refreshing. One can also choose to sit outside on the balcony.

Pros: great food, good value

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fringe Club - Colette's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1752 times since Jul 2011.