Freshies

Contact 970-879-8099

595 S Lincoln Ave (at Hilltop Pkwy), Steamboat Springs, Colorado, USA, 80487

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegan/Vegetarian options are tofu, veggie burgers and salads and a few more. Freshies means just that - dishes are prepared from scratch with quality local and organic ingredients whenever the season allows. The menu changes throughout the year to showcase the seasons best. Mon-Sat 7:00am-2:30pm, Sun 7:00am-2:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by happycowgirl

nice lunch - Edit

While visiting Steamboat we enjoyed a nice lunch here. I had the avocado sandwich and my husband enjoyed the warrior salad. Their burgers have egg in them so that was not an option as we eat whole foods/plant based. The others with us had a meaty sandwich and voted pretty good.
We would come back

Pros: outdoor seating, good location, can see the ski mtns

Cons: outdoor patio is almost on the main drag

A decent place for a vegan brunch - Edit

We hadn't spent much time in Steamboat, but needed somewhere to eat before driving the next 200 miles of our road trip. Freshies was a bit tricky to find but thank goodness for the sat nav. It looks pretty 'hip' from the outside, lots of kites and brightly coloured windchimes. Looking at the menu, there's only a few vegan options (especially as we arrived too late for the breakfast menu) but the waitress way pretty helpful and gave us some options to veganise some of the other dishes. I had a Rainbow Warrior salad (a good sized portion, all tasted fresh with lots of flavour)and my boyfriend had a sourdough avocado sandwich (nothing too fancy, but it tasted good and filled him up for the journey). Rice milk chai was lovely, and we were ready for the day.

Pros: all made fresh so can tailor dishes, helpful staff

Cons: only a few vegan options

Pretty Good! - Edit

My husband and I stayed with old friends in Steamboat, and they recommended Freshies over Winona's for our last breakfast together. I think the cooks could use some honest feedback from customers - the tofu in the tofu scramble was a bit dense/overcooked, the pancakes and waffles can be gluten free, but not vegan, etc. But it was tasty! And the veggies in the scramble were very fresh. And we felt it was a clean, friendly environment.

Pros: Nice environment, Friendly waitstaff

Cons: No vegan pancake/waffle option, Extra $1 charge for tofu vs eggs

Eewww... This is how restaurants get people SICK! - Edit

My boyfriend and I spent a long Valentine's weekend in Steamboat. We are both Colorado natives and love Steamboat, which we visit about 6 times per year for the Strawberry Springs, and 8-10 for boarding. This was the first time that we went to Freshies. The sign said organic fresh food. This is right up our alley,so we thought that this place would be perfect for us. As we went in it was very chaotic and we waited for a bit to be seated.

When our waitress brought our hot tea she spilt the scolding water on my boyfriend. We are normally pretty chill people, so after cleaning up what we could we brushed it off. We waited almost 40 minutes for our food and when our waitress brought the food she was eating herself, and licking/sucking food off of her teeth. We were pretty grossed out about this. But continued to try to stay calm.

As we were eating we looked around and literally all of the waitresses and bartender were eating. They were picking food up, putting it in their mouths, licking their fingers and continuing to serve customers their food.
An older waitress, she had a grey ponytail coughed in her hand, ate some food than rang up some customers....Yuck!!!

It shouldn't be hard to realize that you do not touch your mouth, eat, cough on your hands then proceed to handle customers food, or touch a register that every other waitperson touches also. We were absolutely disgusted. My boyfriend is a Mountain boy, and it takes a lot for him to get grossed out. But this place did it.

The food wasn't bad, but we couldn't finish our meals because of the unsanitary and outright disrespect that the waitstaff was displaying for Freshies customers.

We got our check and left, but washed our hands first.

But wait there's more...... when I got my bank statement Freshies had charged me $92 for our $29 meal!!! What are you kidding me!!

I called Freshies and the manager on staff told me that our waitress, the one that spilt hot water on my boyfriend, the one that served us our food while she was eating her lunch, put in a $52 tip for herself on our $29 meal. (I left her what I thought was a generous $5.)

"Honest mistake," is what the manager said. The charge was reversed and I finally got my $52 back 1 week later.

We will never come here again!!!

You can have the best food in the world, but if your waitress sneezes on your food, puts her slobbered fingers or coughs on it, it is contaminated and gets customers SICK!

Pros: Decent food, Seemed to be organic, Vegetarian Options

Cons: Unclean waitstaff, Spreading Germs, Lack of customer appreciation and safety

Freshies is my favorite breakfast in Steamboat - Edit

Freshies has a great variety of homemade breakfast favorites. The real maple syrup on fluffy pancakes makes me go yum. One of my favorites is the granola with dried cherries and almonds or the One Whirled, lots of fresh fruit! Oh, and plenty of parking. Don't miss this one.

Not Bad - Edit

Waitress and staff were very friendly and helpful.

I ordered the tofu scramble and though I'd like to give a glowing report, the truth is, it was just so-so. Had no flavor. If you like bland food, you'd be happy with it.

We were informed they do not use cage-free eggs. Just seemed odd that a place would be enlightened enough to offer a tofu scramble, but not enough to use cage-free eggs. In any event, I appreciated the staff's honesty.

We bought a few of the bakery items for the road and they were pretty good.

In sum, I'd definitely go back here and give it another try. If you have only one day in SS, eat breakfast at Winnona's. If you have two days, add Freshie's to your list.

Return to Steamboat Springs Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Freshies closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1469 times since Jun 2010.