First Review by sloweducation

loyal patron gushes - Edit

I've been going to freshside for over a decade! This is one place in town that is constantly improving, updating their menus etc. The most recent menu addition that I tried was coconut curry tofu rice, and coconut curry rice-noodle soup ... both amazing. The rice version I could not believe was vegan, it was so creamy and delicious.

Their signature item is a tea roll, and the vegan versions include (among others I'm forgetting): ginger rice noodle tea roll, basil bean curd tea roll, seaweed peanut sauce rice tea roll, bi-bim spicy salad-like tea roll ... they are all really good, it's hard choosing.

Other main dishes that are vegan and great: bean curd miso dressing salad, shiitake mushroom seaweed stir fry (OMG), 8-treasure rice, wheat gluten with veggies and rice, ETC ETC

Fresh side is the only place I've ever had "bean curd" which is different than tofu (they also have tofu). I don't know where you can find bean curd like this to take home and cook but I wish I knew.

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 08, 2015

PS Another reviewer noted the pad thai, so I thought it was worth a further mention. There was a "scandal" with their pad thai **many years back. I think what happened is that they advertised it as vegan but they did not know that some base ingredient they used contained fish sauce. It was a legitimate and honest mistake -- they DO know what vegan is and they were super embarassed by it from what I could tell, were apologetic, and now they just say "sorry, our pad thai is not vegan" (too bad, it was really good, haha!). Keep in mind they are a budding new place in the past decade-plus-or-so, and from what I know of the owners that pad thai mistake was a learning point for them. I have absolutely NO qualms about trusting them with vegan now, they learned and did so humbly as well.

Pros: seems like always open, consistently good, great for takeout

One of my favorites! - Edit

I love the food here! The tea rolls are delicious. I've enjoyed their vegan curried rice and vegan pad thai. Ask for the vegan menu to make ordering easier. No kid friendly food.

Cons: no kid-friendly food

Good, healthy food - Edit

Went here with family for my birthday- I am the only vegan. Short wait, as seems to be a popular place. Awesome tea rolls, and very filling vegan pad thai. Would definitely recommend to anyone in the area.

Pros: Good Food, Filling

Cons: Wait time

AWESOME!!! - Edit

This place is so good. Vegan, vegetarian and meat eaters options. I make sure to go here every time I'm in Amherst for the night. Service is awesome too!

Pros: really good food, options for everyone, awesome/friendly service

Wonderful food, good service, great place. - Edit

My friend, who is vegan, and I went to eat here a few weeks ago. We both ordered the vegan pad thai which is EXCELLENT. My friend had tea rolls and she said they were very good. The waitstaff are very friendly and helpful, and the restaurant has a very relaxing atmosphere. We can't wait to eat here again. Even though it's not a strictly vegetarian restaurant, it has many options for vegetarians and vegans. Check it out.

Pros: Vegetarian options, Friendly service

Cons: Gets very crowded sometimes

Resting on laurels - Edit

Fresh Side used to be fresh, now it's known mostly for snotty servers and grumpy counterpeople. Hey, if you guys don't like your jobs, QUIT! There are loads of out of work people dying to be hired.

Now onto the food. It's unique, and like any menu there are some great choices, but many duds as well. The tofu is too watery and squishy, and I bet my paycheck what they claim is "vegan" ain't. I taste chicken broth in the noodle dishes, and oh yeah, I would love to see the ingredients of the "vegan" noodles--guessing there's egg in there.

The tea is amazing, the best choices and tastes around. The tea rolls are mostly great, but some are cold and boring too.

Plan ahead, due to the annoyed staff, you may be waiting a LONG time to get your food. Oh, and be warned: If you complain about anything, they'll make you feel like it's YOUR fault.

Pros: Tea, Tea rolls, Location

Cons: Attitude of servers and counter people, Service can be slow, Mess up orders frequently

worst service i've ever received - Edit

my first and only time attending fresh side, i ordered pad thai. when it was delivered, i began to eat it, only to notice a few seconds later that there were eggs in it, which meant that there was also fish sauce in it. my waiter (an ugly fellow with a ponytail) was completely unapologetic. he offered a completely flat excuse ("you were looking down when you said that you wanted it vegan"), but no apology. the manager was more apologetic, but only by a little bit. surprisingly for a restaurant that offers so many vegan options, they seemed to have no consideration at all of the importance of actually serving their food vegan when it was requested as such.

Cons: appalling service

Return to Amherst Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fresh Side closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1695 times since Aug 2007.