Fresh on Crawford

Contact 416-913-2720

894 Queen Street West (at Crawford corner), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M6J1G3

Natural food restaurant with locations in Toronto. Menu features an array of starters, multi-layered salads, wraps, high protein burgers, and signature bowls. No dairy, eggs, honey, or animal by-products in the cooking; however, dairy is offered as a side option throughout the menu. Weekend brunch served til 3pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Canadian

First Review by Michael Devine

Always "Fresh" - Edit

tiger bowl is incredible, the juices and smoothies are great, although they should implement at least all the apples, celery and cucumber to be organic. they have a good selection of sweets from the earth desserts. also an amazing brunch too! the full breakfast is my fav!

Pros: fresh food, healthy options, very tasty

Cons: pricey, doesn't abide by the dirty dozen :(, not 100% vegan (although it's mostly)

a vegan staple! - Edit

the first vegan food i ever had in Toronto, back in the late 90's and i still go! this location is the quietest (still a bit boisterous though at peak times), but the food is consitently good whichever location you choose. i no longer eat soy but the staff can be pretty accomadating about it, and there is a gluten free menu. huge selection of juices with a 'build your own' option.

Pros: substantial portions, good variety, accomadating

Cons: not organic, can be loud, often crowded (which is a good sign too!

BEST vegan spot ever! - Edit

Ohhh how i love this place!
I was visiting from Germany and I knew: This is a place I have to check out. I am a fan now, big time!
I went there three days in a row because I loved it so much!
I ordered:
- Date Almond Powershake (AWESOME!)
- Sweet Potato Fries (BEST ONES!)
- Poutine with sweet poutine fries
- Green Supermilk
- black bean burrito
- vanilla cupcake
- chocolate fudge layer cake

And ALL of it was amazing!
Make sure to check out Fresh! You won't regret it.

Much love from Germany, I'll be back

Pros: location, kindess/service, yummy/healthy/variety of menu

An excellent choice for some fast-ish food - Edit

This is currently my most-visited Toronto restaurant in my two months here, and that actually seems pretty fair as it's a very good place. First time I came for the Sunday brunch, which consisted of enormous pancakes, seitan and scrambled tofu - it's not often that I get defeated by a meal, but this was huge, very filling and very tasty. The place is quite small, and was absolutely packed, with people queueing at the door to get in (which does have the downside of the staff wanting to get you out quite quickly once you're finished).

Second time was for an early evening dinner, much quieter this time, and I had the burger with miso gravy, which was an interesting savoury taste, and made a nice change from the usual kind of veggie burger you get in this kind of restaurant. All round, highly recommended - I haven't tried any of the other branches, but presumably they're pretty similar.

divine dining - Edit

Although Fresh (no matter which location) is quite busy...ALL the time...I would never pass up a chance to dine here. The menu's diverse and flexible; they have a large selection of veggie burgers, stir-fry meals, side dishes, salads, wraps for lunch or dinner but you can customize your own meal if something doesn't quite suit your taste! And don't get me started on desserts! Oh my! Sweets from the Earth dominates their dessert menu --dairy-free and decadent, you won't regret trying the chocolate fudge cake, but definitely split it with a friend, it is rich! Need something bitter to take off the edge of the sweet? Enjoy a freshly made Americano or other flavoured coffee with goat's milk, soy milk or almond milk. And of course, smoothies and juices! They've got a full menu of those--I've been there three times and have nowhere near had everything on the menu!

Pros: variety, large portions, moderately priced

Cons: slow service, busy all the time!, not much space between tables

Consistent, quality food - Edit

Never had a bad meal here. While it is a bit more expensive than other cafes, you get what you pay for. High quality food, healthy portions, and great taste. For those looking for something heavy, go for the BBQ burger. The bowls are really filling as well and I love the Powerhouse when I'm starving. Amazing sweet potato fries with the most incredible vegan garlic mayo you could dream up. For a refreshing shake, try the Shamrock.

Pros: Quality, Many options, Great tasting

Cons: Small Space, A little pricey

tried twice - Edit

The burgers and yam fries sound so yummy on the menu...I tried twice and both times the fries were cold :(. The burger was good but to be honest, I've had better and the miso gravy tasted grainy/instant. The menu has many choices that look good. I may try again and go for something else to give it another try.
Re: price, I think it's expensive for what it is.

Pros: choice

Cons: price

poor employee relations and non-vegan wraps - Edit

First thing wrong with this place: Wraps are not vegan and they don't tell you unless you indicate that you are vegan. It has been this way for some time now, but they are "looking for an alternative"

Second thing wrong: They treat their employees like crap, not a good thing for a restaurant like this one. Most people probably don't care, but if you think it's important to give your business to companies that treat their workers with respect and dignity, then choose another place for tonight's dinner. I've had friends that worked there who've been fired without a reason, shifts cut while they hired more people, and who have been transferred to another location without notice or consideration that they had just moved to avoid having to take transit. The operation is poorly managed.

On the positive side, the food tastes really good. Too bad...

More relaxing than the Spadina location - Edit

Much the same menu as the Spadina location (see the reviews there, including mine). This location is smaller and chiller (i.e., nicer unless you want to people watch/be seen).

For brunch, however, you have Sadie's and Fressen close by, both superior imho.

Love it! - Edit

Fresh is the one restaurant I find myself going to again and again. The food is creative and satisfying with plenty of options for everyone. Their juices always make me feel like I'm doing something wonderful for my health, as do their bowls.

Despite how busy it gets here, I find the servers are always on top of their game. Double thumbs up.

Pros: healthy food, awesome choices

omni-heaven - Edit

Fresh's menu is full of healthy, but tasty choices. From salads to burgers, everything is delicious. The peanut sauce is to die for! As a frequent Fresh visitor I cannot recall ever having a bad meal there. Fresh, while an awesome choice for vegan and vegetarians alike, is equally loved by my "meat-and-potatoes" omni-family. It seems to be the ideal restaurant to demonstrate how delicious vegan and vegetarian cooking can be.

I tend to prefer the Fresh on Crawford as it seems to not be as busy as the other two locations.

Pros: location , omni-friendly food, consistently delish

Just As Fresh - Edit

Everyone seems to know Fresh on Bloor, which is justly famous. It's also madly busy, almost all the time. Fresh on Crawford has a much more Queen St. W. vibe. It's not as big but you don't feel like you're being rushed, either. The menu is the same as at Fresh on Bloor, which means that vegans, vegetarians and non-believers all will have a wonderful time!

Pros: Food, Servers

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fresh on Crawford closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1638 times since Aug 2007.